my pain Doctor has gotten in bad trouble

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Oct 5, 2005.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I am ready to just burst into tears. I was watching the news tonight when all of a sudden I heard that a local doctor who treats peopele for pain control was subpenedaed yesterday. HE has been charged with 2 counts of sexual abuse of two women both happened in 2004. There was only touching nothing else. And it is MY pain doctor.

I can't belive that he would do that to a patient. He is the kindest most gentle person I have met and he is the only pain doctor in the town I live in. I have been a patient of his for over 3 years and I have been alone with him in the exam room and nothing has ever happened . HE has never touched me unless a nurse was there and I had my first exam and then I had the nurse in there and my clothes on. We have discussed this problem many times and he has told me how appalled he is by doctors who invade there paitents rights.

The paper said that he was charged with the 2 counts of sexual abuse which is 1-15 years in the state prison if he is found guilty and they are going after his linence too.
    I am calling tomorrow and find out what I need to do? do I need to look for a new doctor? Will here he be here to still treat his patients & c write perscriptions for the patients. I need to know what to do and if I should be worried about this?

I have problems with steriods so I have not had the facets injections or the steriod epidural so I have not been exposed to anything like that. He does the facet injections with pain meds given IV and he hasvdone some Iv sedatations but I know that he has to have some one with the patient at all times with the patient.

When I see him we discuss how i am feeling& ar my pain meds are working well for me and do I need anything else to help me? WE talk about the dangers of taking to many pills. And keeping the scripts safe till I go to the pharmacy, I had to sign a paper when I went to him the first time that I would see only one doctor for my pain and I would use only 1 pharmacy wor all my scripts. I trust this doctor with my life and I am so stressed that something will happen and he will lose his pratice and we here in this town and the surounding town s will lose the only pain doctor there is within 60 miles from here.

What am I going to do? I am so worried about this case and the damage it will do for pain doctors and I don't want to lose my doctor. I don't belive that he is guilty fo this crime. He is a good man and very religous and is married and has children. And I don't want to have to go through another doctor for the pain i have. It scares me , I don't want to have to find another doctor to treat my pain and I will never find a doctor like him .

I will let you know what happens.
    I am so worried about this and the outcome.
    Rosemarie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2005]
  2. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Dear Rosemarie,

What a shock to hear that on the news. What a powerless feeling.

My thought is that whatever happens with your doctor will probably take months, if not longer. Hopefully, he will be able to continue to practice in the interim. Whatever does happen, I'm sure he will be happy to consult with another doctor in your area about continuing your care, if he can't do it.

I'm so sorry you have this added to your list of worries. It's more than enough to wake up with this dd everyday.

Take care!

Francie
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Try to hang in there with him. If he has not been anything but above board and respectful with you, then keep receiving your pain treatment from him.

It is so easily true that this charge was made up. Your doctor is the "keeper" of really good drugs ... I agree that those two could be getting even. Or after some big time money.

Remember ... it is INNOCENT until proven guilty. I really have become unhappy with the news media. All the necessary ingredients are there for an excellent ratings story. Sex, abuse, evil doctor who deals with "those drugs ... maybe even heroine"... etc.

If he has been good to you ... supported and believed in your pain and has done his best to treat it, then you need to stay put. He just might need your loyalty.

I wouldn't call his office just yet. They have probably been slammed with calls already. Send an email if you feel you need to get in touch. Once the office has a chance to get organized they will probably be mailing out information on this.

I don't support sexual abusers. But this guy still has the right to expect innocence until proven guilty. If these people aren't being honest and have their own agenda, this doctor and his family are going to pay a heavy price anyway.

The news media and the public in general are not near as interested in the facts when someone is exonorated or the accusers are proven to being vendictive.
    All anyone will remember will be the words "sexual abuse" and "pain doctor".

Hang in there. Please let us know what direction you go in. I'm sorry for the stress this has created for you, but if he has been a good doc to you, try to find it in your heart to hang with him. He's gonna need it.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Rosemarie,
    It is possible that the doctor will be found innocent of the charges. I would assume he is not in jail right now?

Call the doc's office and ask if you will be able to see him on whatever date you have set up to see him on next.

I can understand why you are worried, but there is a good chance there isn't enough evidence to convict him.

I'm going through a problem with our insurance now not paying for my family doc as of 7/1/05. I get all sorts of meds for different problems from him.

Boy, it just seems as though if it isn't one thing, it is another, huh? I hope all this works out well for you. It could take a long time before the trial.

Hugs and prayers,
    Faye