My parents are worried parents, how to help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, May 26, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

As many of you know, I live with my parents and they are very worried about me being so ill.

My mom gets so worried and stressed about me that she will make herself ill.

My dad hides his feelings (what man doesn't) but shows it from time to time and I know that it hurts to see me like this. We have our conversations and I can tell he is sad that I am unable to talk really well anymore.

I try to talk to them as much as I can and reassure them that I will hopefully get better in time. They also keep a positive about that as well, and tell me all the time that they hope that I will get better.

I was turned down for health insurance and my dad was sad about that, and I looked at the California High Risk Insurance plan and it costs too much for me to be a part in. My dad was going to help me out with fees. My SDI disability money is now exhausted and no more checks are coming to me.

I have applied for SSI/SSDI and we are hoping that I will at least get that, and I have started to look at attorneys just in case.

Anyway I wanted to ask you is there any other way that I can encourage them, and help them to not worry so much?

Maybe I am doing it now, as the Neurontin has been majorly helping me out with the pain and I am able to move around better BUT I am still dizzy and have cognitive issues.

I want to know is there anything more I can to do to encourage my family more?
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

That's a tough one...any loving parent will tell you, you worry about your kids - you can't help it. To some extent I think you never quite let go of the fact that your child is still your baby, no matter how old they are.

I think it gets weirder when we all get older as well. It seems like the roles begin to reverse - the parents become the children and the children the parents.

They need to know that if you have hope, then they should remain hopeful as well.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

you have wonderful, caring parents. They are probably worried about finances, too- so applying for SSI is a good move. Anything you can do to help the situation. They want the best for you...try to keep showing them your hopeful side. God bless! Terri
  5. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

There is a thread called Treating symptoms gave me a life back. You might check that out and print out some of the more optimistic entries to show your parents. There seem to be many people here who have been able to find ways to lead happy and productive lives -- many unique approaches. It might help your parents to see some success stories.

Best wishes.