My parents think I am crazy and have to start being normal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Honora88, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Honora88

Honora88 Member

The biggest miricle since I have been sick was practicing tong ren which helped me more than any doctor, any supplement.

I was working in the science field before becoming ill and have started using energy healing therapies.

My mother gave me an attitude when she saw me doing it and told me that it was all in my head.

My dad told me I have to give it up and am getting out of control (he hears me tapping my meridian points when I am inside my room) and has told me to stop. If I want a normal life I have to start acting like a normal person.

The thing is I hate their bourgeious lifestyle which they think is ideal for me, I always hated their predictability, even our house and all the furnishings and paint color are predictable, neutral and mainstream. If I don't fit into their color scheme I get written off as crazy.I had to move out of state because I could't deal with them. I often feel the impose their beliefs, their lifestyle and narrow mindedness on me.

They don't even try to understand or ask questions or read the testimonials about tong ren. They quickly assume all energy work is mental despite my stories, personal experiences and what seems to be very quick cures I have seen among hundreds of people.

Today my mother told me to stop acting like an old lady and why is it that I have so many health issues. Yet she refuses to listen to what CFID is or even try to read any article I send to her that explains. Niether will my dad.

Update- Later this evening.
    My dad told me today to give up tong ren AGAIN whether it worked or not for the sake of looking like a normal person and then he asked me to give up my allergies (gluten and wheat) because if I keep taking note I'll never get better. I should eat everything and just force my body to adapt. I forced my body to eat wheat and gluten for 2 months and just got worse. He also got annoyed that I have so many dr appointments and "why should you?"

The question is how do I stop caring what people think of me? How can I stop caring about the insulting comments?
    At some point I have to learn to love myself and write off their comments. I can't seem to get them to understand; they are too set on being narrowminded and normal

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2008]
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've found energy work to be helpful to me too and I don't like boring predictability or neutral colors either, at least not for myself.

The thing is your parents seem to think that their way of life is the best way and of course they want what's best for you so they think you should do what they do and like what they like.

However, you have a right to like different things from them. I would let them know that it bothers you when they criticize you for liking the things you do. Try letting them know in a nice way maybe separately, (each parent alone) and see if they change their behavior towards you. You deserve respect for who you are.

Also, keep being true to yourself like you are now. That's the only way to stay sane. I'm sure they also want you to be sane right? lol

I know it's a drag when you're different from your family. It's hard and lonely but what are you supposed to do; lie to yourself?

3. Iam1ShadyLady

Iam1ShadyLady New Member

Keep doing what you are doing. No one knows their body better than the person who is in pain. When you grow up and move out you have to realize that there are things you'll just have to agree to disagree on. Don't push your beliefs on them but ask them since you are not, then they don't need to push their beliefs on you either. Unfortunately if they don't want to know about your illness you can't force them to understand. If you want to keep the relationship agree to talk about nuetral topics that don't cause arguments because stress makes this illness worse. You don't need it.

Good Luck to you and maybe one day they'll understand.

4. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I just put up a new post and its uncanny how your email reflected what I wrote. It's good to know that there is a term for this and that I can do some reading on it.
  5. frankielee

frankielee Member

Did you buy a DVD or a book or did you find information on the internet?
  6. Honora88

Honora88 Member

I went to a free class. They have free telephone conferences listed at

That would be my starting point.

7. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That's awesome that those classes are free. I had to pay a lot to go to my Tai Chi and Chi Gung classes.

I've found books to be very helpful for dealing with the relationships in my life. I like Patricia Evan's books; Controlling People and Verbal Abuse-How to Respond

Also there are good videos on YouTube about co-dependence.