Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by elliespad, Dec 27, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

You WON'T believe what happened to my poor dog. She is a Chinese Shar Pei, named Mitie Me. We were opening presents Christmas morning and I was sitting in a Mission Rocker, on hardwood floors. I didn't know she was sitting on floor next to me. All of a sudden, HUGE YELP, and she went running. I thought, oh, poor baby, I rocked on her toes. But she ran off, then ran upstairs.

We continued on, opening gifts. Then my son decided to go up and check on her. He came down and said her toenails looked a little crooked, but we decided they were already crooked.

Few minutes later, daughters' boyfriend goes into kitchen. Um, there's blood ALL OVER out there. I go out, HOLY COW, there are POOLS of blood, not just drips. All over floor, on cabinets, doorjambs. Looks like axe murder.

I call her downstairs and she comes down. I'm looking her over and I don't see anything. Feet look okay, belly, nipples okay. So I put her up on the counter to look her over, and NOTHING. UNTIL, OMG !!! Ugh, I was cringing, couldn't even speak, just gasp and moan. Her TAIL was broke off, and bone was exposed! And bleeding slightly ! My poor baby !

I called Emergency Vet and they didn't expect it would stop bleeding and she would have to come in. Luckily it mostly stopped in 5-10 minutes, so they said she could wait until next day and see her regular vet.

So, Tuesday, I bring her to her vet and she had to have surgery to remove more of the tail, so they close the skin around the end. My POOR dog. I felt SO bad. She had a lot of anxiety most of the day, and was on Pain meds and antibiotics. She seems FINE today, and doesnt seem to need pain meds at all. But MAN, was it TRAUMATIC.

The end.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to hear the sad news. Pets sometimes seem to go out of there way to get into accidents. It's so easy for cats to get shut in cupboards, etc.

And small dogs and cats sometimes seem determined to trip us. They just can't uderstand we can't see them down there.

I hope Mitie Me is better soon.
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Fortunately, it is a "wives tale" that dogs need their tails for balance. I have a minature schnauzer; the breeders clip their tails to about 1 inch sometime during the first month, and it certainly hasn't affected her balance. She is as fast as lightening.

I'm glad to hear Mitie Me is doing better. I was concerned that you were going to say that her jaw was broken. We all seem to love our little dogs so dearly and feel as if they are more like our children than just a pet.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Thanks Rock, Lindy and Joyfully. I still cringe just picturing it, it was AWFUL looking. AND, the piece of tail was stuck under the rocker ! Makes my heart hurt. She really doesn't seem to notice it today, and seems happy enough. she has a big Gauze wrap around it, looks like a little cast.

Vet said he sometimes has to redo the surgery as tails don't have good blood supply and don't always heal well. He had to cut more than he wanted as there was no blood when he cut the skin. Skin was already dying. Had to go back further to get good blood supply. So, still not out of the woods yet with this. Just hope she doesn't need more surgery.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2006]
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

That is just horrible....but just a freak accident that must have happened in the blink of an eye.

Give her a big bite of steak and veggies for me please...

Nancy B
  6. MelaC

MelaC New Member

Hi ellispad sorry to hear about your doggie. Unfortunately these things have a way of happening. Sometime one gets to feel they need eyes in the back of there heads so as not to injure our pets. It must have been very distressing for both of you. I am glad you are both okay.

Hugs Mela
  7. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, she forgave me right away. Never one to hold a grudge. She really seems to be doing fine. Vet thought she might need an Elizabethan collar to keep her from picking at her wound, but I declined. I didn't think she would lick/pick at it. I don't think she even knows it is wrapped and taped. I will cut the wrapping off tomorrow, as he said it will heal faster with fresh air (as long as she's not picking/licking at it).
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

at least she's okay, thank goodness.

You must have all got such a fright including poor wee Mitie Me. Animals recover quickly, but what a time she's had.

My hubby was cutting grass in summer and my kitten Hamish stuck his foot into the scissors, luckily he only had to have it stitched but he could have lost his foot.

9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Oh that just wrenched my heart. How dreadful for doggie and you. These things do happen, and I have heard of children losing their fingers in rockers on wooden floors. Hope she recovers.

Love Anniecrom
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Sounds like that hurt. Reminds me of when my boyfriend cut the end of his finger off. It was an accident and I'm sure she knows you did not do it on purpose. That's the good thing about dogs. They are there to love you and they forgive you no matter what.

I have 7 dogs and all 7 have bronchitis right now, it hurts to see them suffer. We have taken them to the vet and they are all on med. for it.

So sorry that this happened with your doggie.

11. MelaC

MelaC New Member

so glad your doggie is doing well.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Accidents happen. I've nearly run over our dog with my scooter numerous times.
    Very glad to hear she is doing okay!
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Give her a hug and kiss for me. And give yourself one, too!

Stop and smell the puppies!