my poor little shih-tzu has glacoma-- update 4/22

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by peachums, Apr 10, 2009.

1. peachums

peachums Member

I am so heartbroken. I noticed her eyes looked funny yesterday but she had a shot the day before so I thought she might just not be feeling well.

Today it continued and her eyes looked worse, so I took her to the vet.
    She has glacoma and we are treating it agressively with drops.

I read on the internet that she should have been treated within hours of getting the glacoma and that might prevent blindness.

I did not know....I feel so bad..
    Has anyone's pet ever been thru this and kept her sight??
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2009]
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I am so sorry about pooch. My cat had glacoma and the vet didnt treat til he was blind.
    I felt so bad. However he wasn't in pain and lived til he was 19. Not sure how you can treat within hrs of getting it as usually it takes awhile to show up unlike catracts.

It sounds like your pooch has a good chance as you got the drops started.

hope it all turns out ok
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

the story of my Shih-tzu. I got three of them from a rescue society. Shortly thereafter
    one displayed a milky blue eye.

The vet said he was blind in one eye and needed surgery immediately to prevent total
    blindness.

I talked to the lady who ran the rescue society. She just said, "Oh, those vets," and gave
    me a tube of ointment.

The ointment cleared up the bad eye in a few days, and there were no further eye problems.
    The rescue lady said because of their flat faces, the dogs sometimes get poked in the eye with
    a twig or plant of some sort.

Whether any of this is similar to your situation I don't know.

Isn't glaucoma something that develops over a long period of time? How could anyone know
    if immediate treatment were needed?

Good luck to you and your pet.

Rock
  4. peachums

peachums Member

I am very sad and at a loss.
    She will not eat her food (needs special food for bladder stones).
    She will not let us anywhere near her for eye drops.
    We are going to a new vet tomorrow.
    She did go out today and play with DH. She had a ball running all around so I know she can get up and move around.
    thanks for the help.

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2009]
  5. peachums

peachums Member

We had to put our little friend to sleep. She was very sick and we had two opinions. The Vets told us we could try different surgeries but they were not sure the pain would stop.

We are all recovering now. Sometimes, I think she is still sitting next to me on the couch. I get giggling when I think about her looking at me, deep sighing (worked hard I guess!) and putting her head down for a nap.

RIP my friend.
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I'm so sorry your beloved dog passed. Our animals are family and friends and I'm glad she is out of pain. You take it easy.
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, it is always hard to see your little furry friends suffer . It is to bad you had to put her to sleep but you did your best and as Julie said, you now have fun memories .

Glad she does not have to suffer anymore.

Blessings and hugs,

Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2009]