My poor skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynn3811, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

Has anybody had super sensitive skin all over? Couldn't stand the shower, had to get low flow shower head; baby wash cloths, and to wear clothes was "frightNight"! This all lasted about a month, then suddenly stopped.
    One of the stranger symptoms of the Fibro.

2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

My skin hasn't been sensitive but for about a week or two it was very dry and no amount of lotion would give me relief. Then I felt like I was perpetually sunburned, even though I'm rarely in the sun.

You know, all of it just really SUCKS!

3. poets

poets Member

I have sensitive skin almost all the time. Sometimes if I know no one is coming by, I'll wear my nightgown wrong side out all day. It's miserable.
  4. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I am sensitive to anyone touching me the wrong way. I can't stand someone poking me, lighting brushing my skin with their fingers, hugging too hard, etc..I bought some cheap sheets for our bed and ended up getting rid of them because my skin couldn't take the feeling. I have dry skin all the time, but Lyrica does this. The best feeling in the world is my blanket wrapped around me, which of course is super soft.
    Also, I can't handle the sun beating down on me if I'm out somewhere. When my family wants to go to an amusement park or something like that I have to sit in the shade or I can't go. (When you got kids you can't stop doing these things!)
    I've noticed all this has gotten worse as the years go by-I've had fibro for at least 10 years.
  5. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

I've had to spend quite a bit this year on all new clothes. I'm limited to certain styles, too -- has to be low in the front and back.

And those evil inside tags? Why do they keep using them?? Men's underwear and t-shirts are out without them. It's not fair. WAAAHH! Oh, sorry.

I'm wearing and sleeping in Travel Knits. Long tank dresses to sleep, short tank dresses during the day while at home.

I have to have 400 or higher thread counts in my bed linens, anything less is like sandpaper against my skin.

My dryness has improved in that I found a cream that works where none others have. It's cheap and I get it from the same company I order my supplements from. It's an elastin product.

Even a low flow shower head is bothersome so I have to keep it pointed at the wall and not on me anywhere. Baths use to be pleasurable but I can't tolerate the temp changes these days -- my skin either goes bright red and itchy, or pale and itchy.

I only wear a bra when others will see me and I routinely remove it in the car on the way home because I can't wait to get the darned thing off. It hurts and rubs my skin terribly. Doesn't matter if it's a top of the line one or a $4 one from Wal-Mart.

I can't wear socks that go higher up on my legs than right below my ankles or I'll be pushing on them constantly to keep them off the skin on my legs.

I can't use Playtex gloves anymore when I clean because if my hands sweat, then the skin on my hands cracks and itches -- I was told it metal salts in the sweat. Tried cotton glove liners but they just hold the sweat and made no difference. Some household chores have been impacted by this.

Like yours, lynn3811, my level of sensitivity flunctuates as does the dryness. Mine isn't seasonal, like some say theirs is.

Oh my yes. Another of the Joys of Fibromyalgia! Woot! Woot!

Peace and Gentle Hugs,
  6. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Lynn & Others,

I know how you feel. My skin is also super sensitive. I now only wear 100% cotton or other organic materials. I only use Dove or Ivory soap. For body lotion I use Aveeno Oatmeal products(the stuff they used to give us when we had the chicken pox), it's very soothing. My bedsheets also have to be of a certain quality or I go nuts. And I can only use Tide liquid detergent and Downy laundry sheets. I have to brush my teeth with Sensodyne and wash my hair with Nexxus salon products. Oh...and only certain feminine products. FM makes our lives crazy.

7. hensue

hensue New Member

My face was super shiny and skin beautiful now it is so dry all the time. I dont know why do all of yu have dry skin? Is it a hormone we are lacking? I take enough supplements like a horse. What causes this?
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I went through the SUPER sensitive skin about 11 yrs ago - it also went away after a month. It felt like I was scalded with something. Literally couldn't touch my skin - even air blowing across it hurt. No explanations.

CSCHMOLL New Member

I just suddenly got dark spots all over my face, now i cant even get in the sun at all, it looks horrible. They will not go away for nothing. Has anyone else had this problem?

10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

due to thyroid problems, I have super dry/thin skin. It looks terrible to me. I have not showed it to the doctor. I suppose it's ok.

When I rub lotion on, it just soaks it right up.

It is strange that your skin became so sensitive, then stopped. I hope it won't continue.