My quiet retreat is being invaded by a SUBDIVISION

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

See my profile for a pic of my view from the front. I just happen to look out and caught this sunset.

I learned the other day, the nearly 300 acres across from me was sold, it has been for sale since before I moved up here.

One of the reasons I bought this place was because I own all the of the back and sides and never dreamed anyone could build a house across from me. On the other side of the road, it is a pretty steep climb.

They have been logging it the last few weeks and I didn't think much about it, thought they were selling the lumber.

My neighbor that helps me from time to time told me they are clearing it, even up to the road to build a subdivision.

My quiet retreat will be replaced with saws, hammers and traffic all day. It is hard for me to believe anyone would attempt this in todays market, especially my town.

It is very hilly terrrain and I wouldn't want to be at the bottom with all that water run off, I deal with that already on my side.

I will miss the trees, they give me afternoon shade, but with them gone I can see for miles and watch the sunset all year long.

So I will wait and see and hope-Carla
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

This sounds awful!

I hate to say it, but maybe the developer will run out of money before they can go much further.

I had a wonderful barrier of big trees between me and my neighbors when I first moved here. Over the years, sadly, we've lost a lot of the trees. It makes a big difference.

You never know what will happen.

In the meantime, soak in that view while you have it!
  3. laceymae

laceymae New Member

It will probably take years to get all the permits and cut thru the redtape...Well just tring to cheer you up.

I remember how I felt when the sawmill moved in right in my front door.

Thank Goodness the other three sides are owned by us. If anybody is within eyeshot (or gunshot) they are trespassing.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Beautiful picture, Carla - beautiful view.

The developer probably got the land cheap if it's steep. I confess I used to work for one but he developed less desirable land or built shopping centers or houses on land that other people owned. Still, he's sure not doing much in the way of building today. Maybe this group will chicken out before they chop down all the trees.

5. ckball

ckball New Member

Fight I hope your right about the cute handyman, that would be a nice perk.

Lacey-I just don't get how anyone would do this in my neck of woods, you know the economy here, just crazy. I bet that sawmill causes you alot of dust.

Lindy thanks, but I don't see any shopping centers coming up here, it's 4 miles to the closest gas station. You live in a beautful area and the weather is great too.

Marta- I hope it flops but I don't see that happening, the trees are suppose to come down in the next month I'm told, I hope not, while the view without the trees is goes for miles, those trees give me 3-4 hours shade in the afternoon.

Thanks again-Carla
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

don't know what a sub division is but I take it there's going to be housing development.

What a pity, it's so beautiful there and it's going to be hell when the work begins.

We're going to have new developments right alongside our cottage and behind it within the next few years too - it's not in the country like you but I'm already dreading the noise etc. unbearable.

So sorry.