my restrictive diet - fed up!!! help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I am so tired of eating one kind of nut, one kind of animal protein and one kind of vegetable every day! And whenever I have a problem with any of thse few, few things I eat, I stop eating it. I am down to just two kinds of vegetables at last count - zucchini and lettuce. Not even anything with taste to it.

The candida diet was the first cut to my eating habits. Then I learned that I can't even eat all the candida-safe stuff without feeling worse. So my diet got whittled down until there was nothing I like in it.

I loved cooking. It was my FAVORITE thing. I wrote my own recipes. I even like cleaning the counters afterwards. I miss the chalenge and the energy of it. I once made a gingerbread diarama of a Star Trek set, with homemade icing colors. It was all so fun!

I know I don't have the energy to cook much anymore, but if I could just have a few kinds of vegetables I would feel better about it. It can't be healthy to eat so little variety. What's wrong with me??

Is it worth it to be so careful? Or should I just give up this strict diet? How can I get to where more kinds of food are SAFE for me?????????? The last couple of weeks I've broken the diet, and I'm starting to feel worse. All I want is some more vegetables!!!!! Yams, tomatoes, parsnips, anything!!!!
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

But I don't have enough vegetables left for the whole rotation! And the monotony is awful. Everything I try to add makes me feel sicker. Like the carrots (awake at night) or the squash (more tired the next day)... So I'm thinking about eating the vegetables that don't work for me, just so that I have one for every day. I mean, if I eat something bad only once every four days, it couldn't do too much harm, could it?

Thanks for the info, Kat. Guess I'm not the only one who just does the vegetable-meat-nut thing. Do you still do this diet? Do you feel like there is enough variety? I couldn't eat the grain alternatives either. What kinds of veggies do you eat?

Do you all think I should start adding in other vegetables, even if they make me sick, just to have more variety? I just don't have enough veggies left to take care of myself.
  3. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Firstly, let me say how amazing I think you are for having the willpower to stick to this type of diet, I know that I won't be able to do it.
    I'm not very familiar with the candida diet except that I know you can't have any sugar, fruit, bread etc. and I take my hat off to anyone who does that.
    Why can you only eat one type of nut and animal protein and what are they?

Can you eat butternut or patti pans? Almost all veggies bloats me and gives me cramps, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, beans, onions etc.
    What about seeds like pumpkin and sunflower? Baby potatoes or sweet potatoe? Avocado and peppers?

I'm supposed to eat my food raw, no sugar, no wheat or gluten but let me be honest, I cheat every week! My mental and physical well-being goes hand in hand and if I'm miserable because I deprive myself of a certain food, then I have it. If I feel worse afterwards at least I'll be put off for another month. To me (and this is just me) I will rather suffer a bit than going out of my mind.
    Have you tried ginger? And I don't mean the tea, I'm currently taking ginger capsules with a standardized ginger extract and it works wonders for my stomach.
    Again, I don't really know what your problem is and why you have to be on a special diet but I have been through hell with my stomach, so anything I can do to help I'll be glad to.

Phoebe
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Hope you see this.
  5. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

I'm new here, so I went back and read up on the Candida diet. It sounds a whole lot like the South Beach Diet. If what I read is right, the only things you'd need to change are take out the cheese, most of the nuts and all the simple starches. I've got both the full diet plan and the cookbook, have been on it for almost 3 months now and it's great! The recipes are terrific. Now I will warn you, the first 2-3 weeks are KILLER! But they help you break the cravings for the things you really shouldn't have to begin with. I've got heaps more energy, feel pretty good most of the time, and as a side bonus have dropped 40lbs :)

Some of the basic rules of the diet is no measuring portions, just eat sensible amounts, have as many of the good vegies as you want (and there are so few you can't have that you don't really miss them), and just use common sense. Don't know if this will help, but I hope it does.
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Shanno,
    How hard!
    Something came to me, and maybe you are already doing it, but are you eating organic veggies? Sometimes it's not the veggies themselves,but the water and pesticides they were fed, that causes us harm.

Did you know that some supermarkets even put chemicals in the water they use to clean and spray the veggies? I found this out when I got sick on some veggies from WINCO. I asked them if they put anything in the water they used to clean the veggies, and they answered:"Yes".

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!!
    Hugs,
    Terry