My rhuemy say's children can be cured of FM with

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by claudiaw, Jun 10, 2006.

1. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

aggressive treatment's of physical therapy.

He say's he has seen it go away.

What do you think?

Have you heard this before?

Thanks,

claudia
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

That there is a good chance of children being cured of it if caught early enough
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I'd hate to see this tried if the child had lyme! -and what qualifies as a 'child' - my son started experiencing the joint aches etc really at age 13 (has chronic lyme, even according to CDC test standards). Furthermore, the Lyme vaccine trials caused rh. arthritis in a significant number of subjects.

Also they know that many arthritis', including rh. arthritis, is caused by bacteria (other than lyme). Jury is out as it whether all is caused by bacteria or virii or not.

Again, I don't see how aggressive physical therapy is going to help in these cases.

just my 2 cents worth,
    Victoria

4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I think it probably depends on what type of physical therapy is used- if it is gradual and gentle, and involves lots of stretching and gentle exercises to increase flexibility, strength and range of motion and is combined with the child getting enough good nutrition and sleep I think it could help the body recover and get itself out of having FM.

However, I know a lot of people have had negative experiences when physical therapy is done too aggressively and not sensitively- and I don't think putting a kid though that would help at all.

Depends on the person's body and the type of treatment in my opinion. :)
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I guess after they rule out everything else ( like with us) and feel it is FM only, the physical therapy get's rid of it, because it is treated early.

That's my understanding anyway.

It would not help with RA or Lyme.

most of us have this for so many yrs. before we are diagnosed, i really think that is why we are unable to work or get much better, it's gone on too long.

My SIL was dx with lupus and got treatment from a naturopath right away and is totally off all med's with no symptom's since.

I think she got better, whether it is gone or in remisssion who know's, but she was treated right away.

She has just had her 8th, yes 8th, baby! She is symptom free.

She also drives me nut's, because she got better she can't understand why I'm not better. I believe the quicker the dx, the better response you get.

I'm sorry your son has Lyme, I hope his treatment goes well, and he get's better. At least someone caught it.

best wishes,

claudia
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2006]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Since we don't know what causes FMS and there is no cure, I think it's premature to say kids can be cured. With aggressive treatment, it's certainly possible for children and young people to get well and go into remission. Thing is that research is turning up defective genes which only need a trigger to activate, or ractivate, our illnesses. I recovered from triggers all my life, but when I got the mycoplasma infection, I was never able to fully recover.

I'm not trying to depress anyone, and it is certainly possible that people are cured. I just don't think we can say for sure that anyone is cured. Anyone who recovers from our illnesses should be very careful and do everything to avoid stress, fatigue, and other triggers.

Younger people are more resiliant and I do think there is every reason to be optimistic that they can recover. I just don't think we can use the "C" word yet.

Love, Mikie
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I agree.

He said it matter of fact, but I think that yes kid's are more resilant and if it's caught early you can go into remission.

But I would wonder when they get older if it might come back again.

I forgot to add to aggressive physical therapy, sleep study for CPAP as well.

I don't know if he was trying to encourage me, it's hard to tell he doesn't have much of a personality, he is very quite kind of shy.:)

Maybe he said that to tell me I am not going to PT enough or I would be better who know's.

Claudia
  8. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Good advice.

I myself don't have children, but thought this was interesting for those who do with Fm.

P.T. only help's me to a degree and that's with a very gentle one, most are way to aggressive and make me flare.

I went to the chiropractor for about 15 yrs. he could no longer help me with my pain. he was the one who sent me to doctor's that finally dx me with FM.

When I get better i will go again. My bones are out because of the spasm, but until my muscles loosen, they will just keep pulling me out of place.:)

Best wishes,
    Claudia
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Children can do well with the Guai but I would definitely discuss this with the doc. The Guai can prevent the massive buildup of phosphate debris that most of us have by the time we are diagnosed. Claudia told me it can almost be used as a preventive.

I still do the PT which my rheumy prescribed. I was bedridden most of the time when I was sent to PT and the exercises are so gentle that they can even be done in bed. They have really helped to keep me flexible and strong despite not being able to do much in the way of exercise because of my CFIDS.

There are so many different forms of PT that I think one must find just the right exercises.

Love, Mikie