MY science experiment.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 7, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

OK, here's what I am doing, we all know I am nuts so what the heck.

I was making this sea shell filled pretty bottle with a lot of different types of shells for my mother in law and I was thinking, ok, shells are calcium right???

Vinegar is high alkaline ph right???

So, if I put these 3 different shells in straight vinegar will they dissolve???

Chris Reeve says he took massive doses of calcium, he says it totally reversed his osteoporosis............so, if indeed the shells are calcium and the vinegar is dies dissolve them then does it prove the theory of the coral calcium???

That the right ph level adds strength???

Pretty dumb maybe and I will look up & double check & get back to you, in any case my son & I like this kind of weird stuff. If I am right the I am getting on coral calcium, unfortunately I look at everyhing these days as snake oil, I want proof.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

OK, here's what I am doing, we all know I am nuts so what the heck.

I was making this sea shell filled pretty bottle with a lot of different types of shells for my mother in law and I was thinking, ok, shells are calcium right???

Vinegar is high alkaline ph right???

So, if I put these 3 different shells in straight vinegar will they dissolve???

Chris Reeve says he took massive doses of calcium, he says it totally reversed his osteoporosis............so, if indeed the shells are calcium and the vinegar is dies dissolve them then does it prove the theory of the coral calcium???

That the right ph level adds strength???

Pretty dumb maybe and I will look up & double check & get back to you, in any case my son & I like this kind of weird stuff. If I am right the I am getting on coral calcium, unfortunately I look at everyhing these days as snake oil, I want proof.

Jaci
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Still need to check my facts re: the PH & is the shell calcium but I'll tell you what, the one big thin shell is already disolving, right in the center where it is the thinnest!

They have only been in about 1/2 hour right now, oh I wish my son were awake, he would love this, he will see in the morning.

Jaci
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is not readily absorbed into the body.

Love, Mikie
  5. Dlee

Dlee New Member

Hi,read your post it,s 6:25am here in N.C.I see i'm not the only one up thinking of things to do and try....LOL Donna
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Coral calcium is not absorbed?

Or sea shell type?

I was interested in the effect from vinegar, they are all dissolving, looks like about 3 days will do it completely. Amazing.

Jaci
  7. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Geez, your brain is working:). I might be able to shed some light on your experiment. I have a salt water aquarium. I have to keep the PH high. And the water very alkaline. The seashells are made up of calcium. Vinegar is actually an acid not an alkaline. Neutral PH is 7. When the water of my tank is at 7 then the water is considered neither acid nor alkaline. As the Ph rises to ideal somewhere in the 8.4 range then the water is alkaline. If the PH should drop below 7 then I will be getting acid water. Addition of acids lowers PH, among them being organic (fish) wastes, excess carbon dioxide, etc. Then to get my PH up I need to add buffers-bicarbonate, calcium etc. So actually you are dissolving the calcium in an acid. You can also dissolve things in soda due to the phosphorus and carbonate. FYI:) It is fun experimenting though, isn't it.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2002]
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I guess that is the benefit of this DD, lots of time to do strange stuff.

Unfortunately my brain is in overdrive 24/7.

Most of the time it is a benefit but I think I drive those who live with me a little batty sometimes. Thank God they love me.

Thanks so much for the technical info, just what I was looking for. Thanks also for correcting me on the alkaline vs acid theory.

They are still dissolving, had to give fresh vinegar tho today, just moved them to a new glass, they had stopped bubbling so I kind of thought maybe the ph level is changing???

Anyway, fun to watch.

Jaci
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The fact that it took three days to dissolve the shells is a clue to how the body handles this calcium. By three days, it's been long excreted without breaking down. You can buy calcium supplements made from shells, but nutrition experts say they are a waste of money. I use a calcium citrate which is more easily used by the body.

Love, Mikie
  10. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

It still was fun, my son & hubby just are constantly amazed by the stupid stuff I come up with, it was interesting. I loved all the info I got on this, thank you all.

My son & I learned a lot from the technical info we got from some of you, he is really interested in science so that is ok, no harm done.

Thanks for you input Mikie, you are always a help!

Thanks for all you do.

Jaci
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You seem to be operating in high gear lately........what kind of vitamins do you take? He he....

Marilyn :)
  12. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

it just is my brain, it just goes & goes, someone implanted me with a damn everready battery I think. I kant hepp it!

I have a new theory on our jerks & twitches too but I am too tired, I will put it all down tomorrow am, also I am back on my dang zoloft, I was a nightmare when I quit ti cold turkey, I really am thinking it is a contributing factor to my jerks & twitches, I hate to have to rely on a drug just to be sane & calm, I was just filled with rage after 2.5 weeks, went 3 weeks about I think & finally realized I needed it. Hate it but much happier.

Jaci
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Read Dr. Paul Cheney's article on Klonopin here in our library. It will tell you exactly why your brain runs in overload and why you have twitches. You may also want to read the sister article on SSRI's. I think you will find them very interesting.

Love, Mikie