My shoulders...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betty, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Betty

Betty New Member

Hi Guys...

I am so busy... I work all the time it seems (cause I'm self employed) I have FMS/CFS which came on suddenly in July 1998 I believe due to a bad car accident.. Physically I healed..but I always felt like something won't quite right.. and that winter arthritis accelerated to an incredible speed.. (which is under control now)

Anyway, last fall particularly Nov and Dec. the sleep thing must have been worse cause I was really depressed. I cried so so easy and THAT IS NOT ME.. Anyway it got better thank God. cause I thought I would go nuts..

For some time now..I've done amazing well (maybe it's just better in the summer?) and the burning spots all stopped it seems for a few mo now...
    The big problem is my shoulders.. If I forget and carry a purse w/ a shoulder strap ,,I'm in trouble quick...Any of you have that problem? And bigger problem yet is people who seem hell bent on patting me on my shoulders... My shoulders can be the last thing on my mind and someone will suddenly pat them (usually firmly ) and I literally see stars... And the embarassing thing is that PAIN seems to be a direct line to my bladder... When something is suddenly painful like that I start to wet my pants. I can stop before it becomes noticable to all..but that is so embarassing. A few mo ago we went to a dinner meeting... and I was sitting at the table when an older fellow came up behind me and put both hands firmly on my shoulders and pressed down... and happily said..
    Hey girl..how've you been? and went on to greet others at the table... I ALMOST PASSED OUT...EVERYTHING WENT BLACK...ALL I COULD SEE WAS THE GIRLS FACE ACROSS FROM ME for a few moments...I turned white as a sheet..Everyone at the table immediately know something was wrong...and were looking...The older guy that did it was walking off totally unaware... He really did press to hard... I think without FMS there would have been some mild discomfort ...I had to get up and got to the rest room immediately...I could barely hold back... My underwear had gotten so damp I had to remove them and roll them up and hide them in the bottom of my purse..(had to go with out...lol)
    Now I try to arrive early..and always in a group try to choose a seat that will put my back next to a wall or where the chances of that happening will be less likely ...
    It does seem that if anything else is wrong with us...the FMS is worse..
    In late July I had back surgery to repair a ruptured disc...now that is well into healing..and stablizing... Over all every thing feels better...

I take cyclobenzoprine each night to help sleep...Guess I'm on that for live... been taking it for about 3 yrs..and can not miss it...
    betty
  2. Betty

Betty New Member

Hi Guys...

I am so busy... I work all the time it seems (cause I'm self employed) I have FMS/CFS which came on suddenly in July 1998 I believe due to a bad car accident.. Physically I healed..but I always felt like something won't quite right.. and that winter arthritis accelerated to an incredible speed.. (which is under control now)

Anyway, last fall particularly Nov and Dec. the sleep thing must have been worse cause I was really depressed. I cried so so easy and THAT IS NOT ME.. Anyway it got better thank God. cause I thought I would go nuts..

For some time now..I've done amazing well (maybe it's just better in the summer?) and the burning spots all stopped it seems for a few mo now...
    The big problem is my shoulders.. If I forget and carry a purse w/ a shoulder strap ,,I'm in trouble quick...Any of you have that problem? And bigger problem yet is people who seem hell bent on patting me on my shoulders... My shoulders can be the last thing on my mind and someone will suddenly pat them (usually firmly ) and I literally see stars... And the embarassing thing is that PAIN seems to be a direct line to my bladder... When something is suddenly painful like that I start to wet my pants. I can stop before it becomes noticable to all..but that is so embarassing. A few mo ago we went to a dinner meeting... and I was sitting at the table when an older fellow came up behind me and put both hands firmly on my shoulders and pressed down... and happily said..
    Hey girl..how've you been? and went on to greet others at the table... I ALMOST PASSED OUT...EVERYTHING WENT BLACK...ALL I COULD SEE WAS THE GIRLS FACE ACROSS FROM ME for a few moments...I turned white as a sheet..Everyone at the table immediately know something was wrong...and were looking...The older guy that did it was walking off totally unaware... He really did press to hard... I think without FMS there would have been some mild discomfort ...I had to get up and got to the rest room immediately...I could barely hold back... My underwear had gotten so damp I had to remove them and roll them up and hide them in the bottom of my purse..(had to go with out...lol)
    Now I try to arrive early..and always in a group try to choose a seat that will put my back next to a wall or where the chances of that happening will be less likely ...
    It does seem that if anything else is wrong with us...the FMS is worse..
    In late July I had back surgery to repair a ruptured disc...now that is well into healing..and stablizing... Over all every thing feels better...

I take cyclobenzoprine each night to help sleep...Guess I'm on that for live... been taking it for about 3 yrs..and can not miss it...
    betty
  3. TracyV

TracyV New Member

MOst of my pain is in my right shoulder so I can relate. I have been getting some trigger point shots with something like lidicane (starts with a M) and it helps a little and I'm on pain medication also for it. I could easily live with the pain on the rest of my body, but my shoulder kills me, so I can relate. The only time I had the wetting problem, was because I had a urinary track infection, so if the wetting problem is new I would get a test. It couldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about it anyway.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

My Right Shoulder and arm---and my neck are my #1 ache, being the most painful and persistent. Others seem to wax and wane. I understand the incontinent part as well, too. I have discovered to avoid embarrassment, I just wear a sanitary pad--to anything public. Saves having to buy a newspaper to cover ones lap with <wink>. I will have to remember your chair against the wall trick. I know all those hugs and pats are meant in kindness, but cringing and trying to smile at the same time are hard feats to pull off!
    Best Wishes,
    Karen
  5. Darla5010

Darla5010 New Member

My right shoulder and upper arm are so sore all the time, I can't stand it. I know about the bladder also, but my doctor says it's from all the meds I'm on for my bulging discs in my neck and back. I'm on morphine, celxa, ativan. I have had to buy the "Poise" bladder control pads. The lightdays weren't doing the job! Everytime I cough, sneeze, laugh, someone pressing on shoulders, etc, I leak. Isn't it awful what all you go thru. And they wonder why we get depressed! My father has always come up to me and slapped me on the shoulder all my life, but the past couple years he has learned not to do it!! I would jump and howler and then wet my pants!
    It's so good to talk to others with the same problem, no one around this area understands.
    Darla