My Sister- In intensive care

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by larryh, Jan 17, 2007.

1. larryh

larryh New Member

My sister had surgery yesterday to remove a brain tumor. When we left yesterday everything looked good, but this morning she was unresponsive. The surgeons had to remove a large portion of bone to relieve pressure. Right now she is in intensive care and they say the swelling is going to get worse before it gets better. They are not saying if there will be any permanent damage yet.

Pam needs your prayers as much if not more than she did to start with.

PS: I edit the original message so you don't have to scroll to the end.

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2007]
  2. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I pray for a successful operation and that your sister is able to make a full recovery. Sorry that your sister and your family are going through this, know that there are many positive thoughts and prayers being sent your way. Kim :)
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

So sorry about your sisters' health. I have prayed for a speedy recovery and complete healing. Also that he would give your family peace and strength as you all go through this with her.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I hope everything goes well tomorrow. Just think. Nowdays medical care is better than a King could buy fifty years ago.

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

That the surgery will be successful and she will have a full recovery.

That you will have peace as she undergoes this time of uncertainity.

Blessings to you and your whole family.

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

for you, your sister and your families. Brain surgery sounds scary- but prayer really works! Terri
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Wondering about your sister, Larry..
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Had the surgery yet?
  9. larryh

larryh New Member

First , thank all of you who responded with your thoughts and prayers. They meant a lot to me and to my whole family.

It seems like my sister is going to be fine with no permanent damage from the tumor. It was the same cancer that she had in her lungs twice though so she will have to go through radiation and maybe chemo. What she really needs to do is quit smoking, but she already knows that. This makes three times so the doctors are not going to say she is cancer free no matter how good things look.

Right now she has some temporary weakness on one side due to the swelling where the tumor was and the after effects of the surgery. She might have to do some physical therapy, but probably not.

Boy yesterday lasted forever. We were up at 5 AM to be able to see Pam before surgery and still only had a half hour. Then it was nearly 4 hrs before we heard anything and another 2 before we could finally see her.

My son who is studying to be a paramedic went with me and my mother and did most of the driving. He was also able to understand what was going on better than any of the rest of us and helped everyone feel more comfortable through the whole ordeal.

If everything goes right Pam will be out in three days. Hard to believe getting out three days after brain surgery isn’t it. It will probably take me longer than that to recover from the day.

10. JLH

JLH New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your sister's health. I will most definitely keep her in my prayers.

My brother, age 53, has colon cancer. The mass was so large that they tried to shrink it with strong doses of both radiation and chemo before they operate. He goes in the hospital Monday to have more scans to see if they were successful in skrinking it.

Then, they will give him a surgery date, with more chemo and radiation to follow the surgery.

He has lost over 80 lbs. now. The radiation has burned a hole in his stomach and he has lots of burn spots all over his face, neck, chest, etc.

So, I know what your sistre has been going through.

Since it's in the wee hours of Saturday morning, I guess the surgery is over. I pray that is was successful and the very talented surgeons were able to get it all.

Love and prayers,
  11. larryh

larryh New Member

12. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

So sorry about your sister. I am so happy for you all that it was successful and that she will get to go home so soon. Isn't it amazing to think that you can have your BRAIN operated on and still go home in a couple days?

A story like this helps to restore my faith in the medical community. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sounds like the surgery was successful, I am glad that your sister is not going to suffer permanent damage from the tumor. Praying for her and your family. Wishing for a successful recovery and the strength to quit smoking. Hope you can get a bit of rest now. Kim :)
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm praying for Pam and your family! Hope things continue to improve!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  15. elliespad

elliespad Member

Will keep praying for her healing. Thanks for the update.
  16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thanks for the update and will pray for Pam...and you!

17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very sorry to hear about this. It sounds very stressful for your sister, you, and your family.
    I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well, and that your son has been able to be very helpful through this. I will keep Pam and all of you in my prayers.
  18. findmind

findmind New Member

Going home already???? The prayers have been answered then!!!

May she continue to get so strong that she can quit smoking! Tell her we're all rooting for her to recover well and that she'll be all over this cancer stuff real soon.

I know it has been terrible for you, all the hours of traveling and waiting and the stress must be terrible.

Rest as much as you can so you can help her if you're able...we all know you want to, so we're rooting for you, too.

We care...
  19. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sorry about the emotional ups and downs you and your family are going through. Let us know when your sister responds. Praying very hard that everything is okay. Hope you are holding up well. Kim :)
  20. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'll be sending warm wishes and thoughts your way and hope your sister recovers soon.

I know it's going to be minute by minute, and day by day for a bit, just get some rest too and please don't drive home if you're exhausted.....

She needs time for her body to heal and recover....and so will you.

Hoping for the best for you and yours,

Nancy B