My skin hurts, can someone help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Woo, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Woo

Woo New Member

I have been all through the place and I haven't found any help with this. I feel like a giant bruise and if someone touches me it is really painful. I have fm/mps and I am about to go out of me mind with the pain. Any ideas?
  2. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

I am so sorry you are having a difficult time. I have had simliar issues for years. My poor husband rubs my skin or hugs me and I can't stand it sometimes because it is so painful.

I am not sure what I can tell you despite me understanding what you feel.

I know after I started on the Cymbalta that my level of sensitivity to stimuli (like hugs or touch) did get quite a bit better.

I looked at your profile to see what treatments you are on on but there was no info there. It sounds like your pain is not adequatly controlled. There is nothing that will make it go away, but I think that further treatments and medications can get you to a better level of "dealing" than you currently have.

I would not consider myself depressed though there are days when I don't handle things very well. Dealing with pain all the time takes a toll and the Cymbalta for me has helped my overall abililty to handle the circumstances. I was against taking anti-depressants for a long time but my doctor convinced me to try for 3 months just to see if they helped with the pain so I could take less pain meds.

I am not sure what type of doctor is treating you, but there are options for better pain management. Some days it will still be this bad, but I believe it can improve greatly from where you are now. I am not sure if anti- depressants are right for you, but I know it did help me.

You have been through a lot the last two years and it has taken a toll. There is help and making friends here is a great step. There are many people here that a very wise (much more than myself) concerning this disease.

Pick up every book you can find...there is a lot of info out there and arming your self with the facts can help you learn to FIGHT for your health.

Gentle HUGS and sweet dreams,
    Jenni
  3. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

Skin that feels sunburned, tender or extremely sore, is a symptom of fibro.

I've had it for several years. It comes and goes and usually dosen't last long, at least for me it dosen't.

Sometimes it will effect just my arm or my legs and sometimes one side of my face. I sometime can feel it coming on and have taken a pen and marked the pain as it slowly moved up my arms.

Last year I had a drug reaction and it caused the skin on my entire body to get so sore I could not stand room air moving over my skin and for 2 days I wore a lightweight flannel jacket.

I have darvocet I take for this and it helps me.

Maybe your doctor can prescribe something for you.

Sorry you are in such pain.

Wren
  4. Woo

Woo New Member

I figured the skin pain had to be fibro. It's just that when I tell someone that my skin hurts they look at me like I have 3 heads. I have so many sensitivities to meds that it is hard for my doctor and me to get a regimine in place. I do have good pain meds and the sore skin is the only thing that the pain meds won't touch. My doctor is super and is willing to try anything I want to if we can just find what to try. I've read a lot of the posts and everyone here is sooooooooo cool and nice. And as always it is wonderful to find out that I am not alone and my heart goes out to each and every one of you!!!!!!!

I love the way every body gives 'gentle' hugs.

Thanks again
    Peggy
  5. Rebeck

Rebeck New Member

I am sorry for your pain, i have had fibromyalgia for about 10 years, and hoping i was going to get better, i often wonder if the dr even understands, when he comes into the room he reaches to shake my hand, and it hurts so bad, even at church everybody shakes hands and it hurts me so bad, my dr. even said, so you don't want me to touch you today, you just can't help it, and it is the same way when someone goes to hug you, you are the first person that i have heard say that the covers on the bed hurt you, i have been the same way, i have gotten up in the night and taken off my cover and gown and nothing on, freezing to death. does any part of your body seem to be cold, my hands, feet and legs are freezing all the time, but nobody can feel it but me, my husband can't tell they are cold. honey i wish you the best it is rought , the only thing that helped me a little bit was my dr. sent me to the y, with a note that i was just to walk in the water, no hard exercise. but the water got where it was so cold i stopped going, you might want to think about that, good luck, i will pray for you love, rebeck
  6. homesheba

homesheba New Member

that you have it as i do also and am sooo tired of people looking at me like ai am crazy when i say my skin hurts.. sigh. i havent found anything that helps me. its mostly when i have a flare . but most of the times even my bones hurt to.
  7. Woo

Woo New Member

It sounds like you and I have this being cold thing the same way. Everyone I am ever around is too warm and I am too cold. My husband died 2 years ago and I live alone so in the winter I crank the heat up and that works to help keep me warm. I knitted myself a very light weight but very warm afgan and I wrap up in that. It took me forever to knit the darn thing and it was worth it when I got it done. Thanks for your kind words.

extremely gentle hugs.

Peggy
  8. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

I also have this problem - my skin feels like it is on fire. It affects almost my entire body sometimes - mostly my head, face, arms and legs, but sometimes my chest, and lately my back too.

Many people on here suggested Klonopin for this.

I have just started taking this drug about 4 days ago, and am happy to report that it does help -it hasnt gone away, but it is a little better, and it has improveed my sensitivity to noise also.

Take care
    Michelle
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have this pain off and on also. I cant take showers when I have it cause the water hurts.I do not even like a sheet to brush across me ,it feels like a burn.

I do not know what will help it .I try to drink lots of water in hopes it will flush it out.

youd think someone would be able to tell us what causes this.

I hope you feel better soon.
  10. Woo

Woo New Member

Thanks...I do feel the fire in my feet. The problem I fight most is feeling like my skin is very bruised! Not on fire.
  11. tinktink

tinktink New Member

I found a very thin lightweight down comforter at Bed Bath and Beyond that I can tollerate when my skin hurts. It keeps me warm enough for the most part and feels very light on my skin. I also recomend one of their under the sheet bed pads made of a polyfil type material and jersey sheets. My sleeping time is much improved with these. Best Wishes