My Sleep Study Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shananegans, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I had my sleep study and they found that I have slight sleep apnea when laying on my back but since I mostly sleep on my side and it doesn't happen often they told me there is nothing to worry about.

Does this sound like a normal response? I new at this sleep stuff so any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Shananegans
  2. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

i don't have apnea but knowmany people who do.....seems like they try the least intrusive method and thengo from there. if you don't need a c-pap i wouldn't push it, they look very uncomfortable. but, that's just my uneducated opinion haha
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

Ask for a copy of your report. Sometimes, sleep apnea is the only diagnosis that doctors unfamiliar with the field of sleep medicine will acknowledge.

When you get a copy of your report, it should have how many apnea episodes, how many leg movements, oxygen rates, how much percentage of sleep in different stages, whether there was alpha intrusion, etc.

I was disappointed with the follow-up to my results as well. But I was glad I kept copies of my studies. My doctor refused to consider that there was a further problem when he saw that I was getting an appropriate percentage of REM. Even though I only had *2%* of Stage 3/4 sleep -- and when I looked at the charting graph itself, NONE OF IT was Stage 4, just Stage 3.

Yesterday I started w/the FFC. Instead of just *saying* I had unrefreshing sleep, I had hard data to show that I was getting far, far less deep stage sleep than was normal. We were able to jump right into the topic of supplemental and medical support for deep stage sleep.

Good luck to you. Believe me, I KNOW how frustrating this all can be.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2005]
  4. tilla

tilla New Member

I was also disaapointed with my sleep study report, but I have stayed on oxygen at night as it has made me feel so much better. I have been able to cut back on cymbalta to 20 mg every other day and all my bruising on legs and arms has dissappeared.

Go figure.

Tilla
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

Get a copy of your sleep study. Look for alpha intrusion ... what % was A.I. ,.... How much REM sleep did you get. .... How many awakenings occurred in say 1 hour's time. ... How long did it take for you to fall asleep. ...
    Did you go straight into REM (which is bad) or did you follow the normal cycles. ....

Tons of stuff to know and should have been told about. Did the referring doc ask specifically and only about sleep apnea? I can't understand why a full report wasn't given.

Ask for a copy ... and I'd ask for more specific explaination of things.

He could be really making your fibro worse by ignoring the deep wave sleep ... and also the REM. If you don't get REM but stay on medication known for suppressing REM ... you are doomed to hurt. You paid for it ... they need to give you the full analysis.

Good luck with this ... the sooner you know, the sooner you may start to feel better.

Take care,

Elsa
  6. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I will defiinitely be requesting a copy of my report and I will be sending a copy to my disability lawyer as well. Thank you for the advice.

Shananegans
  7. jaltair

jaltair New Member

On January 24th, I'm going to Standford as a follow-up to my sleep study at a local hospital. I think that my doctor wasn't impressed with the neuro's interpreation, or perhaps didn't know how to read it herself. She was a little "put off" that a neuro didn't speak with me at all before/after the sleep study. She told me that "it was beyond (her) expertise." So, I'm on my way to another opinion.

The first visit is with a neuro, and an exam that will take two hours. Then I get rescheduled back for a sleep study if the neuro feels that it needs to be done. This will all be interesting to me and to my husband. My husband felt that the sleep study at the local hospital really couldn't show anything with one night. He did his thesis work on sleep disorders and ran a sleep study lab. Many of his clients were there at least three nights in a row (this was a long time ago, at least 30 years).

I'll let you all know how the Stanford visit goes. It may be nothing or it may be something, just don't know . .

Jeannette
  8. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I would really be interested in knowing what happens. Please keep me posted and good luck!

Shananegans