My Sleep Study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just got home from my sleep study. They woke me up at 4:30, just when I was getting the best sleep of the night. I've decided to eat breakfast and read the paper. I can take a little cat nap later on.

I actually slept pretty well and only really woke up once but I went back to sleep. I asked the tech if she saw anything which stood out and she said she didn't. Of course, when the doc looks everything over, he will make a report to my doc. I'll know more when I see him at the end of the month.

I'm glad there was no apnea apparent. I sure didn't want that CPAP. In the past, I have awakened and felt as though I were not breathing. My daughter stayed with me and said I had stopped breathing a couple of times during the night.

I think that when my allergies are bad and I breathe through my mouth, my throat gets dry and closes up. Also, that was before I had lost some weight and before I had the neck lift. They took out skin and fat from under my neck which could have been pressing on my throat.

Sorry I don't know more. I'll fill y'all in when I see the doc.

Love, Mikie
  2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I don't know how people get through thoes, I would be awake, just because I want to sleep. That's usually when the Insomina sets in.

Did they give you a sleep med, or were you able to fall asleep naturally? Did you take your Klonipin? (sp).

It's great that you don't need that C thing, but it would be nice to know what is causing your Symptoms.
    Hug's,
    sharonk
  3. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

So glad you had the sleep study and sounds like it went well.

Lets us know what the doc says!!

I really want my husband to have one done....But he is so hard headed, I have the hardest time even getting him to see a doctor.

But what worries me, because im a lite sleeper or im laying there trying to go to sleep (insominia) and I listen to him breathing and snoring, he often sounds like he stops breathing for a few seconds. It has scared me so bad before that, I will wake him up.

Keep us posted!!
    Hugs
    Bluerose
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Glad it is over for you and sounds like things went well..Now to get all the results back from your cardio...

Thanks for keeping us posted..
  5. nina2

nina2 New Member

Good news for you with no apparent apnea! :) but an ungodly hour to have to wake up. Hope you catch up a little.

Thanks for the fill in on how it went, and plese keep us updated.

nina
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was able to take the Klonopin at the usual time. I don't know that I could have gone to sleep without it. It took about an hour for me to fall asleep. The vent for the A/C made a horrible racket.

I plan on seeing a neurologist later on and I will ask him or her to look at the sleep study. This center is run by pulmonologists, so I don't know how knowledgeable they are in terms of things like alpha wave intrusion.

Actually, since beginning the Klonopin, my sleep has been restful and restorative. I usually bounce out of bed feeling refreshed. It's just now and then that I wake up snoring or gulping. Since I have been so tired and unable to recouperate from my trip to Atlanta, I decided I need to get these things checked out. The sleep study goes hand in hand with the cardio tests.

I do think it's the dry air from the A/C and my allergies and allergy med which have caused problems in the past. The PCP told me to get a cool air himidifier. I'll have to buy one as the one I have is heated air. I used it for a while but my gun, which I sleep with, got some tiny rust pits. I need one which I can regulate so it isn't too humid.

I have a cold sore and it may be that I got run down from the trip and the transfer factors haven't been strong enough to fight off a reactivated chronic viral infection. I'm back on the Famvir and using my zapper daily and I'm starting to feel better. I got quite a bit done yesterday.

With these illnesses, there are so many facets we have to deal with. Shoot, it takes years just to get everything tested and find treatments for what is wrong. Some of these systems affect our other systems and when we make one change, it can precipitate changes in other areas. So far, all the changes have been very beneficial across the board.

After I get all the cardio testing done, I'm going to take a break for a bit before purusing a neurologist, an endocrinologist, and an infectious disease doc. That should pretty much cover the gamut of specialities which might be of help.

Thanks for all the support, helping me know what to expect, suggestions, and concern. I really appreciate it.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have not tried them but I will. I'm a deviant also :) so that could be part of the problem.

Love, Mikie
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The sleep lab the first time really freaked me.

However, I had to hae two more in order to get equipment. Why pay $2,500 for a sleep lab when there is no reason to reasonably expect that the situation has changed just because a new CPAP is needed?

However, now I don't mind my CPAP at all. It is just like my pajamas.
  9. glaye

glaye New Member

Hi, Mike!
    I had a Sleep Study after thousands of dollars of tests on my heart, dibetic tests, brain tests and scans. I had two car wrecks, and would not remember the start of the wreck...I was falling asleep at the wheel...I would wake up during impact....Thankfully, I was not hurt in either wreck. I was happy to find out what my problem was....I had a 5 1/2 hour sleep study...counting only the times that I stopped breathing for 20 seconds or more. That number was 66. Sixty six times in 5 1/2 hours. I was sleep deprived...I never got into a deep enough sleep and constantly woke up.

With my CPAP machine, I fall asleep much easier. I no longer snore, and I snored LOUDLY! I use the popular nasal strip to hold my nose open better, and sleep, sleep, sleep. The CPAP machine has made a wonderful difference to my life....I am no longer sleep deprived....I don't have to stop on the side of the road to sleep, as I had in the past. I can sleep in the same room as my husband...In the past, he could not sleep because of all the noise I made! Good luck to you, I hope you and your doctors can find out how to live your life to the fullest! GiGi
  10. glaye

glaye New Member

Hi, Mike!
    I had a Sleep Study after thousands of dollars of tests on my heart, dibetic tests, brain tests and scans. I had two car wrecks, and would not remember the start of the wreck...I was falling asleep at the wheel...I would wake up during impact....Thankfully, I was not hurt in either wreck. I was happy to find out what my problem was....I had a 5 1/2 hour sleep study...counting only the times that I stopped breathing for 20 seconds or more. That number was 66. Sixty six times in 5 1/2 hours. I was sleep deprived...I never got into a deep enough sleep and constantly woke up.

With my CPAP machine, I fall asleep much easier. I no longer snore, and I snored LOUDLY! I use the popular nasal strip to hold my nose open better, and sleep, sleep, sleep. The CPAP machine has made a wonderful difference to my life....I am no longer sleep deprived....I don't have to stop on the side of the road to sleep, as I had in the past. I can sleep in the same room as my husband...In the past, he could not sleep because of all the noise I made! Good luck to you, I hope you and your doctors can find out how to live your life to the fullest! GiGi
  11. tilla

tilla New Member

I will be having my sleep study when I get back to Phx in September. The doctor has put me on oxygen until that time. I am looking forward to a CPAP, if I need it, as I really have felt a big difference with just the oxygen.

I will keep you posted. Can't wait to hear about your results on the study.

Tilla
  12. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Mikie,

So glad to hear that your study went well! Wow, how great that you were able to sleep! I sure had a heck of a time falling & staying asleep with my study! I was all relaxed & prepared for a decent night's sleep ahead of time...But it sure didn't happen!

I have noticed since my sleep study that I actually DO have many times of awakening throughout the night. I used to think that I slept soundly all night. (In general) Now, I'm becoming more aware of waking up in the middle of dreams. Luckily, I'm able to fall back asleep quickly. I am curious to see the report from my study!

Keep us posted on when you get your results. I will do the same.

Do you think the Klonopin has really made a huge difference in your sleep? I've been taking it for a year now, but I can't really say that it is doing much of anything at this point.

At my Sleep Study consultation appointment, the P.A. asked me how long I had been on the Klonopin...It almost seemed like she was going to say something negative about it, but didn't. (by the look on her face!) I think I read somewhere in my many readings that Benzo's generally are bad for sleep. Maybe that's where she was coming from.

It will be intertesting to hear what the Dr. has to say when I go back for my results appointment.

Sweet Dreams! Have a good nap later...

Blessings,
    Anne

P.S. Do you REALLY sleep with a gun?! Yikes!
  13. neen85

neen85 New Member

It will be interesting to see what the doctor has to say! I hope the rest goes as well! Daneen
  14. darude

darude New Member

Seems like it went well. I was dx without study but doing a home one next week. I also am waiting to hear about 2nd chest xray, eeg and lung test results. Then have to have more MRIS of Brain and spine. I hope after that I am done for awhile as I have had nothing but appointments for months. Mind you pieces of the puzzle are coming together so that is a good thing.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Who is having testing done or waiting for results. Honestly, if a CPAP would help, I would welcome it. It's just that the tech didn't see any apnea.

I was surprised some time back when someone posted that Klonopin wasn't good for sleep because it wasn't until I started taking it that I got refreshing sleep. I don't know whether I'm getting the correct amount of the different types of sleep. I'm hoping the test will tell.

Before Klonopin, I had a hard time staying asleep. I woke up fully all night long and had a difficult time going back to sleep. I woke up feeling groggy in the morning. My PCP told me that if one has breathing problems which stem from the brain's forgetting to tell one to breathe, that Klonopin isn't good. Perhaps that's why the PA questioned the Klonopin.

My PCP said that we could try other things for sleep. Sleeping pills don't give quality sleep and I tried Flexeril and Elavil early on. I got sleepy at night but didn't get good sleep and woke up feeling really tired and groggy. I also put on significant weight rapidly. The Klonopin has been great.

What I really love about the Klonopin is that during the day, it works so well by putting quartered pieces under my tongue when I have sensory overload. I told my doc that there are days I would not be able to drive without a little bit. The movement of the other cars on the road overwhelm me. I can barely go into Wally World as it is but I can hack it during off hours if I take Klonopin first for the harsh lighting, nonstop announcements over the PA, and loud people and kids.

According to Dr. Cheney, it stops the seizure activity in the brain which allows it to go into the slight state of coma which is what sleep is. Without it, the brain is always in a slight state of seizure which can cause premature death of the neurons. I sure would hate to give it up.

Yes, I do sleep with my gun and don't leave the house without it. This little town has so much crime and violence that I could not believe it when I came here. Some of it comes from Miami. That girl whose charred body was found in an abandoned refrigerator in a field after she was kidnapped lived just across the river from here. We have all kinds of drug murders and armed robberies. I pray I never have to draw my weapon, but I don't plan on being a victim of some violent scumbag either.

Again, thanks for all your interest and comments. The more info we have here, the better for all of us. By the way, the tech's Mom has Lupus and FMS so I gave her our website address. Almost everyone I talk to knows someone with FMS or has it. Of course, it doesn't always come up in conversation but when there is a reason to mention it, I find this out. I think the incidence of it is way underreported in the media. She said it took 14 years for her Mom to be diagnosed with the Lupus.

Love, Mikie
  16. elsa

elsa New Member

No sleep apnea ....that's great!! You may very well be doing just fine with your sleep. Won't that be one less thing to worry about.

Sounds like your klonopin really does the trick for you. I'm glad about that.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. Sounds like you are feeling o.k. afterwards.....that's really good too.

Let us know what the doc. says.....

Elsa
  17. Musica

Musica New Member

Vilke, that's interesting what you said about a neurologist. I have only seen a pulmonologist. I asked him about the different stages of sleep and the effect of having lower or higher percentages of any one stage. He really couldn't answer, just said sleep hasn't been studied long enough yet. Of course, he has only been in a sleep center since 1999, which is the reason my rheumy gives him for not knowing. They work together, but rheumy firmly believes in delta sleep having a profound effect on FM, and sleep doc doesn't.

Mikie, I'm glad the sleep study wasn't too hard for you. Once I got to sleep, I slept, too, but I didn't get to sleep until 2am, primarily because of pain. Once I took a couple ultracet, I was good to sleep.

Just remember, the techs really aren't supposed to tell you much. So it might turn out you have apnea, after all. And if you do, definitely try a CPAP. Apnea is too hard on the body, leading to stroke and heart failure. I am still struggling with my CPAP after 2 months. I found the nasal pillows work much better than a mask, but I still tend to wake up like a baby - every 2 hours! Now, though, I tend to wake up briefly, take it off, then end up asleep before I can get it back on. They do want you to use it 4 hours a night, and they like the machines with a reader card that keeps track.

What amazes me is that PEOPLE still interpret the several hundred pages of graphs. Wouldn't you think computers would be able to interpet what computer spit out? I did get my results right away - in a couple of days - but they said it could take 2 weeks. I hope you get your results soon. When do you see your doc about it?
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I still have to have my lab work done and my cardio tests. My PCP's office will probably lose the sleep study report. They, like most offices today, seem to be out of control.

I'll let y'all know. If it turns out that there is apnea, I have to go back for another sleep study on the CPAP machine. They start out with low pressure and keep ramping it up. Doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Love, Mikie
  19. elsa

elsa New Member

I'll by thinking of you. You must be getting pretty tired of all these appointments. You're setting a good example for the rest of us.

If it needs doing.....take a deep breath and get it done. Like .....ummm....maybe that base line mammogram that I keep putting off. Caught myself blaming fibro fog for the last missed scheduled mammogram. Dang....I know better. LOL

Thanks for letting us know how it's all going.

Elsa