My son and sister both diagnosed with lyme in same week

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bevy2most, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

My son was on a training mission for 2 weeks in the field, and came home with a tick bite. He got the bulls eye rash, and felt flu-like, severe headache, sore throat and all, he went to the dr. and showed him the rash, they ran tests, and he came back positive. He is on doxy for 6 weeks.

My sis has been doing 5 k's in the woods for pt, as per Navy instructions, she pulled 7 ticks off of her in 3 days, she also had the same symptoms as my son, she is a Coreman and runs the clinic, she talked to her head doc, and they decided to do a course of doxy as well.

I hope they caught it soon enough.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

I am SO sorry that's happened, they're in my thoughts/prayers, as I know what chronic lyme can do!

I hope they are getting at least 6 weeks of doxycycline... but at least it wasn't dismissed.

all the best,

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Sorry to hear this not so good news!,,,I hope the doxy will take care of alot of the symptoms,,,,,Hopeing for Good recoveries for both your sister and your son!,,,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am sorry for them both. Could I ask you how much Doxy they are taking so we can compare protocols? I know some here feel they have been given a lower dose than is needed. With them being military, maybe they come across it more and have better idea?

5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm away from home and just checking in really quickly. If you can, see if you can find an abstract of a recent study on doxy that used a sustained-release type of delivery. It had pretty decent results, and the speculation was that perhaps people who worked in infected-tick areas might want to use this as a longer-term solution. Anyhow, perhaps you could look, read, and pass along if you thought it interesting....
  6. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

for the well wishes, and prayers.

Annie, my son is on 100mg doxy 4xdaily, my sis is on 100mg time release,2xdaily. My sis is vomiting after each dose in the am, so she will have to see about switching rx's.

I will try to get more info.

Thanks again Victoria, Juloo, and S. Island (lol) what a great last name.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. They weren't in the same location, were they?

I just read about Lyme disease. It certainly has a lot of symptoms. I hope the antibiotic is effective.

8. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

My son is stationed in North Carolina, and my sis in Virginia.

My sis seems to be doing better, she says that the aches and pains are dwindlings.

My son is still has a headache, and really hurts. My son has not been allowed any time off due to him being the only one that runs the arms room.

My sis has been able to take several days off, so I think that may be why she is doing better than him.

Thanks so much for your concern.

9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about both of your kids being attacked by Lyme. I hope they have gotten the treatments early enough and do not suffer to badly with it. Personally, I do not know that much about Lyme. Should do some reading up on it.

Good thoughts and prayers are with them both and you to my dear. Gos bless them for them also for what they are doing.

Love, Granni
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

Just wonderinghow your son and sis are doing...

did the doc switch her to something else besides doxy? Or did the side effects lessen... sounds like it? I'm glad she's feeling better already, and sure hope your son will begin to!

all the best,

11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

my son started at 13 on 400mg a day for two months then went onto time release 100mg 2 times a day. Then onto the Oracea which I think is below the antibiotic level but above the inflamation level. He was actually prescribed this because they thought his facial condition may be rosacea rather than Lyme. But we have always suspected it could have been Lyme as deer were being born in our yard and a stray cat we took in had ticks.

So I guess he inadvertently had the Lyme treatment, plus he stayed on all that and more for over a year. Did nothing for him, but it may have addressed our concerns about "too late" treatment.

Hope they are doing OK. Annie
  12. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

What kind of ticks did they pull off?? Big ones or little deer ticks??

BILLCAMO New Member

Has Colloidal Silver (CS) ever been tried for ABX resistant Lyme Disease (LD) patients ? I know CS helps a lot of people with a lot of things. But , I don't know if it works on LD. I did bump a Colloidal Silver post on the CFIDS/FM board to try to find out. I hope this helps !

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]

BILLCAMO New Member

For all of you who are involved with Lyme Disease.

Check out the Lyme Disease board on this forum......a lot of good info there !

So far the input about CS for Lyme Disease is that it may help and , most likely , wouldn't hurt.

Blessings ,

15. victoria

victoria New Member

how are your son & sister doing? Can't help but be curious... and I hope they don't have any co-infections, they are hard to detect.

Bill, there's no recent studies that I know of being done with colloidal silver, altho of course it's known that it has an antibacterial effect. Mostly you see & are warned about the effects on those that have bad side effects - turning grey - not sure if that is genetically linked or they just took way too much. Sadly everything does carry a risk.

Anyway, if it's turned into chronic, usually a multi-protocol approach is necessary. Even for babesia (sort of like malaria) they give the herb artemisinin along with the mepron...

all the best,