my son crushed his finger on wednesday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 69mach1, Aug 13, 2005.

1. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

hi everyone,

i've been really stressed for my poor 15 year old son crushed his finger at football practice wednesday evening.

i showed up thinking a little early, well jus in time to see him walking off the field w one of his coaches carrying cody's football pad's. cody had hi finger wrapped in ice.

coach said he just l/m at my home there is an emergency.

well it was his finger. crushed it broke at the knuckle of hi index finger, the larger knuckle joint.

i couldn't sleep until thursday morning after 8 am. for a few hours. i stressed more than he did. i was the one crying in er, and i was the one that was itching and breaking out in my nervous hives.

it just breaks my heart the kid worked so hard at learning his plays and was going to be the 1st middle line backer on his team. he beat out he 11th grader. they had a football camp on thursday and cody wanted to go watch and be with his team. he said he didn't realize how bad he was going to miss the games.

i saved up money to help send him to the u of michigan football camp this summer for 5 days. i t was a great experience for him. i'm divorced and disabled again. so money has been tight to nearly homeless.

but i know cody has better years to come and it could be a lot worse by far. he will be out of action for at least 6-8 weeks so he will miss half of his football season.

i've been so proud of my son, he has been the only thing that has made want to live at times, when i had the thougths of suicide occasionally.

he has been honor roll and never played a day of football in his life, he was alswys to big of a kid to play with the other kids. the had weight restrictions. and his father lives 85 miles away, and a alcoholic and bipolar not getting treatment. well his dad was a great linebacker had offers to play for green bay and san diego candan league, ets. grampa had pro contract w/bills way back when, and he was a college football coach in michigan, at oliviet college. anyway a lot of talent and no one to show my son how and what to do when it comes to football, oh all family lives in michigan.

sorry to ramble on. i just was letting people know i just joined a little while ago and had some famliy problems to tak care of. monday i will take him to the hospital to get the surgery

i've been worried about him and also the help he gives me w/carrying laundry and groceries and garbage. i don't know if i will have the strength to be nurse maid and housekeeper and mother all at once. well wish me luck.

jodie
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i read your post on your son, thank god it didn't get too serious for your baby boy.

you still worry now matter how old they are.

hope your big get better as well qyuickly
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope and pray his finger heals fast. At his age, he really doesn't need a nursemaid. He may need some help with the dressing/splint or whatever they put on the finger, but most boys that age don't like being mothered too much.

It's a shame he will miss half the season, but that's part of the game too. We learn the most from the times when things don't go our way. He will be OK and will emerge stronger. If he gets depressed from being benched with his injury, I hope there is a good school counselor to help him.

This is likely harder on you than on him. Try to get your rest and not let this injury claim two victims.

Love, Mikie
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

season too. He'll be fine Jodie and you're right to be proud of him.

I'm immensely proud of my two grown kids and I think when you're disabled you tend to live a lot of your life through your children. I know I do.

Dont worry about him, he has his 'wound' to show his friends and he'll be back playing again in no time.

Rosie
  5. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

my sons are all athletic and have had many injuries. it is such a let down i know but it sounds like hes a great kid.

my husbands a high school coach too so we all love football. everytime my kids have a disapointment in there life i think i take it worse than they do.just tell him he has a big future ahead of himand this wont seem as horrible in a few weeks.

ps my son went to that camp in 97[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2005]
  6. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

my sons are all athletic and have had many injuries. it is such a let down i know but it sounds like hes a great kid.

my husbands a high school coach too so we all love football. everytime my kids have a disapointment in there life i think i take it worse than they do.just tell him he has a big future ahead of him and this wouldnt seem as horrible in a few weeks.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

thnks so much it means a lot to mee.

i deal w/anxiety as well as depression and all the fibro stuff.

i know i over react to many things.

but i've been busy today preparing for the big day tomarrow. i've been taking many breaks on the couch.

made homemade chx soup, jello and i'll have left overs from dinner tonight for tomarrow. house is clean. just need to put away our clothes then i'm set.

i can sleep more peacefully or at least try.

i know he will come through just fine. he wont' ever be 100% on his finger, but it beats a whole lot of other things he could have.. we and doctor has been suspecting fibromyaglgia for him as well..and he gets depressed and some anxiety.but he seems to be doing fine sofar. and with all the experimental stuff i've gone through maybe he will be able to better than i.

i'll plug in tomarrow for the update.

thanks everyone again for all you concerns

jodie