My son got approved for his SSI..................:)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Aug 22, 2006.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Hey everyone,

Remember when I posted quite some time ago asking for everyone's help in figuring out what my son had?

So many of you came to my rescue and told me that he had "asperger's!

I researched it well after that............and made an appointment with a psyciatrist who specializes in pervassive development disorders ( which is what he has ) the psyciatrist went over each item of criteria that must be met to professionally and accurately dx my son!

My son was a definate positive for "asperger's" and so we filed for social security for him.............coincidentally the intake worker at the social security office was the daughter of my sons SDC teacher all through grade school..............

She was so kind and helpful with us...............and i left the office feeling very positive about him being approved but I was not expecting it so soon! They told me about 4 to 6 months!

It has only been a little over a month and I got a phone call from social security telling me they made a "partial approval" on his case and that they want to start making partial payments until the final decision is made!

Iam so happy..............I was planning on this taking up to 2 years and also on having to put up a fight!

I just can't believe that it has not been a struggle ( which is the last thing I need right now)!

I just wanted to share the good news with you......and tell those of you who are trying to get ssi not to give up........there does seem to be people who care and try to help!

XO
    Doxy
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

That is really good news and it so nice to read of this and how smoothly it went.

You deserved a break....thanks for sharing...........Susan
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I am so happy for you and you son! I am glad that this has been one thing that has been fairly easy for you!!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am sorry anyone has to be on any disability at all..but in some cases we just plain old need it...

he may qualify for food stamps and medi-cal as well right now.....they use a credit card type for food stamps..it is an ebt card..just like an atm...

but it may be different for ssi claimants...i think they just add the money to their checks...

i am glad this was approved early...yeah baby!

speaking of babies, any more good news on cohen?

love and hugs..

i am going to college...have a heck of a time...flarings pain in the elbow....anywyas...gonna hang in there..

i have my section 8 voucher appt...in the morning at 9 am..so i am stressing about not having all the paperwork...but i am going to wake up early to get a computer printout of payments for the quarter...we get monthly's in the mail and i haven't gotten my august..

i forgot to do that today...my mind is musch///so tired...

i am going to be getting more money for child support...so that is good...

and my voucher for housing that is good...

try to take 3 classes in school right now...

met a nurse today at the post office...she told me what to do for my elbow she has had the same problem as i....she even placed the brace on correctly for me...

and she gave me her number i told her what has been goign on w/it hot burning pain...she said honey that is inflamed and it is bad...i said i know but i feel like no one is listening to me about my elbow and i have carpal tunnel..so holding those darn pencils in class and writing is brutal...

she said put glove on it...don't use hand..she said i noticed you picked up your purse w/your hand...no gripping..

so said call me in two weeks and said she is going to do some research for me..and don't be alarmed when i hear hiv nurse...what a sweet woman...i told her i am trying to get off from ssdi and make changes in my life but difficult when these things are going on...

and mentioned the fibro etc..

well i hope ;you are feeling well..i put a little post out there for you a couple of days ago...

hugs

jodie
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope all continues to go well.
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Now that you have a correct diagnosis, can you get some appropriate help for your son? Some people with Asperger’s function fairly well. He may not be consigned to a life of disability.