My son's back in PICU

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SleepyMama, Mar 4, 2007.

1. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

For those of you who've been following, Tarok went back to ICU to be re-intubated just a few hours after I posted that he was doing better. He's actually much worse this time, and I wore myself out last night fighting with the doctors because they're letting him work too hard for his breath and it's going to make him much worse in the long run. He's very uncomfortable and unable to sleep because he's working so hard and I was so angry to see how he was being neglected.
    I've been doing my best to take care of myself an be there for my kids, but I'm having a really hard time sticking it. The emotional distress takes a HUGE toll on my overall health and I can really feel the difference when it comes to my fatigue. Sometimes I get so upset and angry that I can't even yell at these people without risking completely losing it! It just seemed like no one was on his side last night (admittedly some times athey pay closer attention) I really wonder if the resident on call last night had ever even read his chart. He made some real bonehead statements about how "from a respiratory perspective he's doing ok" (Tarok's indrawing even though he's on the vent) It's not even a respiratory problem, it's metabolic. Stupid arsehole!
    Well, Grandma's with Tarok today. I'm miserable to not be there, but someone has to take care of Ethan and I have to go get in my welfare worker's face for holding my cheque. Another stupid arsehole!
  2. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Wow! Thanks for the overwhelming support guys. I'm feelin' the love, really.
  3. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that Tarok is not doing well. Can you get another doctor to come in and give a second opinion? It sounds like more needs to be done to assist him with his breathing, however, if he's really anxious being intubated, that could be why he's breathing harder. Is he being sedated while he's on the ventilator? If not, that might be a possibility to help keep him calm.

I will most certainly keep you and Tarok in my thoughts and prayers. I cannot even imagine how devastating it must be to watch your precious child going through this. I have a 5-year old, and it would just be my worst nightmare.

Hugs,
    Kim
  4. kel589

kel589 New Member

My son was also was in the picu last year.He had respirtory distress.He suffered so bad with his breathing.he was so exhausted from trying to breath.I through a fit for my son.he was only 2 years old ,They gave him magnesium through his IV line.he has asthma and other problems with allergies.I am so sorry your family is going through this.I hope they give your son magnesium.my heart goes out to you and your son.
  5. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Thank you for the suppoprt. I talked to Tarok's ped this aft. She made me feel a bit better about things. I haven't been there since early this morning, but she saw him and said he's doing well. I hope she's right!
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I am sorry you are going through this. I had a sick child in ICU so I know how draining it is, even if you yourself are healthy.

The advise that I can offer is, if you are not happy with the doctors, get 2nd and 3rd opinions. You won't regret it.

Take care and hopefully you will be able to get some help!!!

I will pray for all of you tonight.
  7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

((((((((((( hugs to you all )))))))))))
  8. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

I am praying for Tarok to recover quickly! Also I am praying for you and the rest of your family to have the energy and everthing you need to get through this tough time.

God Bless,
    Bob
  9. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I am so sorry you and your family are going thru this, my thoughts will be with you and Tarok, I hope you got everything staighten out with those idiots at the welfare office, nothing more stressful when you depend on something to help support your family, I have been there SO many times.

Please remember to take care of yourself too

Love to you and your family, Ann
  10. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

God listens to our prayers, and He knows what you are going through.

Lots of gentle hugs
  11. jole

jole Member

I am so sorry things are not going well for you and your son. You know, when things are that bad I always feel it is worse being the person BESIDE the bed than the person IN the bed! You feel so darn helpless, and it's even worse if it is your child that is sick.

Just hang in there. A break away from the hospital is probably what you need right now. It won't do any good for you to end up in bed too. this darn DD has no sympathy for anything or anyone, and yes, you can push through, but a crash when he comes home will NOT be good.

Prayers going up for all of you!
  12. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Well, we've come to the conclusion that it was probably a virus that weakened him back on to the ventilator. Which is actually a good thing because it means it was permanent progression of his illness and he can probably ride it out and then make for a hasty exit from the hospital before he catches anything else.
    Thanks again for all your support. He's stillnot in the best shape, but there may be an end in sight, so keep the healthy vibes coming our way!
    As for me,I'm having an even harder time handling Ethan at the hospital than I was pulling all nighters with Tarok. Can't wait for the weekend so I can put the kids' Dad back on Ethan duty and spend some time with my bigger little guy.
  13. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Glad to hear that things are looking a little brighter. It's a shame that he caught a virus there, but as you said, the sooner he can get out of there, the less chance there is for him to catch anything else. I can imagine it's difficult on you having Ethan at the hospital too. I'm sure he gets bored there, which of course turns into giving mommy a hard time. How old is Ethan? And, does he understand what's going on with Tarok?

I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Kids are so resilient and have a way of pulling through major things like this. Tarok is a strong boy to have made it through all of this. Give him lots of hugs for me.

Hugs,
    Kim
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

sleepymama:

How are you? Behind every dark cloud lies a silver lining.
    I hope things work out for you very well.

nyrofan