My Sons Father is Dying

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by kgangel, Mar 3, 2007.

1. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Hi all,

I know this is a warm place with many prayer warriors and I could really use them right now. My oldest son was over last night and told us their father is in the final stage of liver cancer. He is just beside himself and so is my younger son. They did not really get to know their dad while he was married to me because he was not ever really there for them. After we divorced he then became a wonderful and caring father and has been very good to them. They now feeel so bad that they will not have more time with him. He is going home to where his family is in about 10 days to be with them.

I am asking for prayer for my boys to somehow get through all this and I am also asking because I know I have to be stronger then I have ever been before to help them through it as well. If you know of any bible verses that may be useful too please let me know as I could use all the help I can get.

God Bless you all and thank you so much for being here

kgangel
  2. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Include my prayers for your sons. And grief that life didn't have a better path. Liver cancer is one of the worst and fastest. I pray not a lot of suffering and that the boys have strength to deal with everything that shall pass.
  3. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi kgangel!
    I am so sorry for what you and your sons are going through. My husband died of liver & pancreatic cancer when I was four months pregnant with our son. He never knew his father except through pictures and my stories of him, but even at that he goes through periods of mourning about not having him in his life, especially during those rites of passage moments.

I hurt so bad for your sons who will be losing their Father and it is so hard to know what to say to them. My son likes

Psalm 18:2&3.
    I will love YOU, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; so shall I be saved from my enemies.

Sorrow is a very powerful enemy. But God designed our universe and set our world in motion. The same power that hung the stars in their places also wipes the tears from our eyes. We enjoy blue skies, but the rain clouds do come. We live in the valleys as well as on the mountaintops. God will be with us through it all.

I found this beautiful smooth stone on the beach one time when I was young and I kept it. I never understood why I could never bring myself to use the stone in a flower pot or garden or throw the stone in a field or something. The stone had a prize place in my jewelry box. It wasn't a really large stone but it would fit in the palm of your hand. When my son first started grieving about his Dad dying and we read the Psalm about the Lord being our rock God reminded me of the stone and I gave it to my son. He still has it and pulls it out and holds it when he misses his Dad.

Now that he's 15 and all grown and everything (so he thinks) he wouldn't want anyone to know this so shhh don't tell on me....LOL.

I pray their Father's passing will be peaceful. My prayers are with you all.

Nancy
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I will pray for your sons' father that he has a peaceful passing and that your sons have the strength to get through this terrible time. I will include you in my prayers that you too are given the strength to help your sons deal with their father's illness and passing.

I am so sorry for all concerned.
    Love, Pepper
  5. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Thank you so much for your kind words, beautiful psalms and your prayers I can not tell you how much I need them and am grateful for them.

I am just beside myself right now, but with all the help I have been getting, I know we will pull through

God Bless you for caring

hugs
    kgangel
  6. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I saw your post earlier and wanted time to search the scriptures and think about it some before posting. This morning as I was getting ready for church I thought about what helped me when I knew my Dad was really bad with cancer.

I found the 23 Ps. really comforting. I had memorized that chapter as a child but when the harsh reality of the shadow of death encompassed me and my family the gems of that chapter really spoke to me and did give me comfort.

It was funny because at the same time that this chapter was speaking to me another teacher dropped by my room and mentioned a book that she wanted to loan to me. Guess what it was. A book totally disecting the 23rd Psalm. I can't remember the name right now but it was written by a Rabbi. I knew that was NO coincidence.

It really spoke to my heart. I think the Lord uses all sort of things to help us. When my Dad was really bad I was ministered to by a group I accidentally happened onto while channel surfing on TV. It was a fairly new group at the time called Celtic Woman. I ended up seeing that show four nights in a row and the music was like the balm of Gilead to my soul.

I ended up buying tickets for my sister and I to see them in person on Aug. 3 my birthday. My Dad died the week before totally taking us all by surprise. Five days after his funeral my sister and I went to this show anyway. I ended up seeing them again in Oct in Chicago.

So I think when the Lord knows we need help if we reach out to Him He can offer some unexpected comfort. He surely did for me.

I am so sorry that you and your children have to go through this. I will be lifting them up to the Lord. I know that I found some tremendous strength from my mom and my sister during the awful times we would be at the hospital for hours on end. Let your children enter into that strength that can come from strong family ties.

Love,
    Nancy
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

for you and your sons. May this be a time when you as a family are even closer.
    Terri
  8. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Hi,

I read your post earlier, but didn't have time to respond. But you've been on my heart.

Sorry your sons are losing there Father. It is wonderful that he had a change of heart, and is now a good Father to them.

I pray that they are strengthened in there faith, and or turn to God, as they go thur this. And as they go thur this time of loss, they become strong compassionate young men, who believe and trust in the Lord.

And that the Lord gives you wisdom and comforting words, when they turn to you for understanding and love.

I like Ps. 31:14 when i don't understand things in life, and want to ask why?

Lord, I trust you, I have said; "You are My God!"

Hugs and love,
    Misty

9. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Misty your post brought tears to my eyes, with all you are going through you took the time to send your prayers and blessings to us. God Bless you

Dear Alaska, Thank you so much for your kind words.

Dear Nancy, I too love the Celtic Women. I have a cd I listen to all the time

God bless you all

Hugs

Kgangel