My Space

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suexi, Jan 19, 2006.

1. suexi

suexi New Member

Is anyone on My Space.com? It's pretty cool. I just signed up. Good way to chat online and see other profiles,...

I can't really go out that much to meet this 'normals' or make much of a friendship,... but it gives me something to do when I am not TOO out of it.

So just wondering if anyone else is doing that.

Susan
  2. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes, signed up last week. My son (age 24) has a my space and told me about it. Put up family photos.

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2006]
  3. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Both of my kids have profiles. I would go out and read their sites and then go read their friends sites. I felt this was the best way to stay on top of things that are going on in the world.

A lot of middle school & high school students use the site. The kids tell their life history on it (including about doing drugs, drinking alcohol and having sex. The foul language kids use is outrageous!!)

I have blocked myspace from our computer!

Myspace (and other sites such as xanga and livejournal) have been in the news in recent months. Such as the 18 year old who killed his girlfriends parents in PA and the Indianapolis Colts head coaches son.

Xanga was being used 2 years ago while my daughter was in 8th grade. I ran across it one day when my daughter left her e-mail open.

One girl talked about 2 boys who were going to bring a gun into school on a Tuesday before the end of the school year to shoot another boy. This started in February but I didn't find out until March. So for almost a month my daughter (and other students) dreaded going to school on Tuesdays. I wish she would've told me about it but she didn't.

The kids were also using school computers during school hours to make posts. Once I read about the possible shooting, I forwarded it to one of our school board members who then forwarded it to the school district superintendant, asst superintendant, school district lawyer and school board chairman.

All heck broke out the next day at school. My daughter came home telling me about kids getting called into the office and being asked a bunch of questions. The kids they talked to really didn't understand what all the fuss was about. The tech teacher told them that what they were writing was out on the 'World Wide Web' for everyone to read. The police also went to the home of the girl who had written about it and searched her computer.

The school then blocked the xanga website. That's when I found out the kids moved over to livejournal and from livejournal over to myspace.

Sorry this has turned into a book but this is something I am VERY passionate about. My daughter had a miserable 8th grade year due to peers using AOL's IM and the above mentioned websites to make her life a living he**. It's called Relational Aggression and the school administration did absolutely nothing to help her.

Last fall, my daughter's best friends boyfriend posted on his myspace that he was having a party with alcohol while his parents were out of town. My daughter didn't ask to go because she knew that I would ask if the parents were going to be there and she knows that I go in and meet the parents when I take her to parties. The next day her friend tells her that she went to the party but didn't tell her parents.

My daughter begged me not to tell her parents and I said I couldn't promise that I wouldn't. Just the previous month the friends stepfather told me something about my daughter that he felt I should know and I did appreciate him telling me so I thought I should do the same.

I waited a month and then called. The first comment the stepfather made was 'Well, I used to do that when I was her age'. I knew then that I'd probably made a mistake telling the parents. The friend lied her way out of it and her stepfather told me that she doesn't lie to them and he was sure of that. I hate to say it but no matter how good parents think their kids are, they still lie when they have to.

The parents don't talk to me anymore. They'll send me e-mails but that's it. Oh well, I still think I did the right thing. I had talked with my counselor and my daughter's counselor and they both felt I needed to tell the parents.

So, if you have school age kids, please think twice before allowing them on these websites.

auntyem
  4. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Employers are also looking at myspace to see if any applicants are on there and to read 'the other side' of the applicant.

Maybe that's why my son had such a hard time finding a job : )

auntyem