My SSD trial in two days!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mistress-o-pain, Jan 21, 2006.

1. mistress-o-pain

mistress-o-pain New Member

I am so nervous! Monday at 2pm please pray for me! You wait for so long to even get a trial date then are a nervous wreck when it comes. Could someone please go over their experience at their trial so that maybe I can have a little bit of peace about this?
    Thank you
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

a big problem is that people when asked status often say sometimes I feel this way and othertimes a bit better etc. Don't do that. You must always state the very worse possible scenario, the worse of it, and then if asked, Is it ever any better? say "rarely". This is not because you are lying but if you are ill most of the time you have to get this point across. The trouble is these people are trained to go for the lowest common denominator,and getting worse, so if you even suggest you have had a couple of good days they will take that you are Ok.maybe a lot of the time. You have to say, Even on my good days, I feel very ill, or whatever the truth is. For most of us it is just that. You keep this in mind, "Only say, give the minimum amount of information when answering, don't give too much. Just state the facts of how ill you are, repeating the same if needed. States vary re these hearings. For my spouse, who is head injured and hard to travel then, they allowed me to answer questions on the phone for him, we did not have to attend, as it would have been impossible. It was called a telephone hearing. I work from home so this is not something I have had to go through, but I wish you luck, stand uop for yourself and keep it to a minimum of strong, valid answers. Hopefully, someone in your state will answer this post.
    Crom
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I had my trial about a week ago now. If you have an attorney they should have called you and gone over the questions they were going to ask. The judge asked me a few too but it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be. The one thing I clearly remember though is that when asked what a bad day was like and then what a good day was like I stated that I didn't have good days. I had bad days and then better days and if I was lucky I had two of those a week. The last thing that happens is the judge will give that employment person (not sure what the job title is) different senario's about how you can work and then she will say if you can find comprobable employment or not. My judge gave two and my attorney gave another. Out of those three only the first one was were I could find comprabale employment. Best advise is take a deep breath and remember that you really are sick and you have to tell them exactly that. Good luck.
  4. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

like a family member? The advice given above is something good to go over with a family member witness. My husband always thinks the best of me, and doesn't want to say that i can't contribute much. Well, a social security hearing wouldn't be a place for him to do that. Think about what you are trying to prove, and the facts supporting it, not trying to say you are a good person. My husband recently told my doc that i make much of our food. I probably make a very simple meal 3x/week. what was he thinking? Jen102
  5. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

My husband has done the same about me told someone i made something that normally would take a couple of hours but realistically I dont make anything i cant make in a microwave or boil water and dunk it in there. Maybe 5 minutes of prep here is all my body can take of standing in a kitchen. He failed to tell them i made it in the microwave.
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Here's a hug and a prayer! You've made it this far, hang on.

I met with my attorney before. She told me don't wear makeup, don't wear fingernail polish, not much jewelry. Dress like you do at home, or at least don't dress up for court!

It's a bit intimidating all right. Don't make "conversation" with the judge, just answer the question as directly as possible.

My hearing was like something made for TV, not Court TV, but Comedy Central, that is. A "medical expert" was there to testify for the court. He was an elderly MD.

The judge asked him for an opinion. He fumbled around through some records, and they were not my records, but someone else's. He had never even read my file, and only located it at the last minute.

He then disputed that CFS is even an illness at all. The judge directed him to read the CDC diagnostic criteria. The Dr. then disputed the already approved by the federal government CDC diagnostic criteria!

The judge was not pleased by any of this. He seemed to find it very disrespectful of the court, a waste of everyone's time, and incompetent.

When we left the hearing, my attorney expressed how flabbergasted she was by the Dr! She said it was all in my favor.

Anyhow, we did have a great laugh...later of course. I did receive a "partial award". This had to do with a disputed date of onset, which is now in appeal.

I am currently collecting monthly benefits, have Medicare, and received a partial "back" award.

Just take a deep breath! Wishing you the very best on Monday!
    Hopeful4
  7. mistress-o-pain

mistress-o-pain New Member

Thank you all so much!
    When my lawyer called he told me to make sure I bring all of my medications and that I had an awful thick medical file. My education and age will be against me. Oh, and be there 1/2 hour early to talk to him. My doctor had told me that I should never discuss good days. I do know there will be 2 neurologists there for medical witness for ssd. This is just so nerve racking! I don't know where you guys pull your strength from!
  8. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Why do you feel like you can no longer work?

The judge was looking right into my eyes.I felt the tears start.

I looked her straight in the eye and said.

Do you honestly think I would make all this up? I had just gotten a promotion and was making 4000.00 a month .I told my husband after 34 yrs of teaching he could retire.

Judge looked at my husband and he had tears.I went on to tell her that when I became ill he had to get a full time job to keep up with all our bills. And that I will only get 699.00 from ssd. So why would I be making this up.As you can see by my work record I had perfect attendance for 7 yrs with that company.

Told her I had worked very hard to get were I was ( I am a High School Drop Out Had To to help my Mom) so why would I want to live like this? And That God knows I had tried to go back many times but pain was to sever.

I had a letter from my former employer as to how many times I had tried and that they could see how much pain I was in and that they were very sad and worried about me .Also that no matter when I became well my position would always be there .

Than I broke down.She than gave me a bench approval and asked me to please continue seeing my doctors on a regular basis.I told her no problem there trust me I would rather be working.

Good Luck to you.Just be you.

Oh also I had the toughest judge around.So my attorney was real concerned .

Sue
  9. nselissen

nselissen New Member

It took me awhile to get mine too. At least you will get the back pay. If a doctor says "NO" she can't work! What part of "NO" don't they understand. I wonder if the people with post polio have such a fight for this.
    I will pray you get it.
    Good luck
    Luv and prayers
    Nancy S
  10. chui

chui New Member

Hi mistress-o-pain, I will be thinking of you Monday and wishing you luck. I will also be very interested how it does go. I too am a nurse but a year older than you. I am waiting for my trial date to be set.I am scared that being this age with my past occupation will have a negative result for me.Your experience in this will be helpful.
    Best of luck....Sherry
  11. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi mistress, no words of advice, as i am still waiting on my hearing, but want to wish you the best of luck in getting your point across. post when you are done, and let us know how it went. I will be thinking of you and praying for you tomorrow! Good luck--L