My ssdi hearing.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debra49659, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

My hearing before the ALJ is next month. I am so happy to finally have the date but am terrified at the same time.

Any advice??

BTW...I am in N. Michigan and applied in February 2007, so just over 24 months for me, not too bad compared to some of the other states, eh?

2. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

Do you have an attorney representing you?
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Yes, I do...thank goodness or I would really, really be a mess:)

4. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

and it was not as easy as I hoped. My hubby's hearing was so easy about 8 years ago. This judge went on for 45 minutes..He made a few coments that I thought was not good. He said I had a good grip on my cane. I didn't have much swelling from arthritis. Well I have R A and osteoarthrits. So if you use a cane don't even hold it tight. I was holing mine tight because I was really stressed.

The vocational expert for 2 jobs for me but both were sitting down for 8 hours and Vocational expert coudn't identify what one job was.

I forgot what kind of dog I had. That is how fybro works.I cry daily but for some reason that day I had great emotions. I can't fake crying but really wish It would have been an emotional day for me.

I could not sit in chair properly for that long I got up once to stretch.

If you have good medical records and doctor writting a letter for you that is awesome. I didn't have the best records.I had to use the salvaion army free retired doctors.I will be glad to talk anytime. Ruthie
  5. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

That's good and fortunate for you. From what I have researched, most judges go over the information that is prepared by the attorney and don't ask too may questions directly. Keep in mind what you were able to do vs. what you now are not able to do. Do not wear any make-up and wear something simple, plain but neat. Don't wear any clothing with buttons or zippers and some sort of slip-on shoes if you can. Judges study the outer as well as your records. If the judge asks how you are, don't say "fine" say, "not too good, Your Honor." I would also not wear any extra jewelry. If you are married, sure, wear your wedding rings.

Gosh, I hope at least some of my jibberish helps.
  6. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

It's so hard when you are not sure what to do...or expect. But the tips really helped! Lets see I used FM, depression, mitrial valve prolapse, Meniere's, carpal tunnel, CFS. I chose Bott & Spencer they are located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They have been nothing but kind, professional, thorough, and very, very kind.

They are very encouraging, but I still can't help the nervousness:)

Oh, I was turned down once at the initial filing...why is that bad??

Thanks again everybody!!
  7. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

Three-quarters of people are turned down automatically -- it is the norm. I'm on SSD and I was turned down the first time and got it on the second (appeal) with an attorney. You'll be fine and it will be over before you know it. I pray that everything works in your favor as I'm sure it will.

8. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

Just be yourself, its okay to be nervous.
    Keep the eye contact directly to the judge when speaking.
    You'll do fine, your medical records will prove your hearing to be Fully Favorable .
    Best Wishes to you.

9. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

You have all been so encouraging and it really helps!!