My SSID interview... I feel sick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I had a 2 hour phone interview (application) with SSDI this morning and I think I did a horrible job. I told the truth, but they don't let you explain those things. It's like dealing with "Joe Friday" (sorry for those who are too young)... "Just the facts, Mam." I told her things but wanted to add... but no employer will keep you if you fall asleep with your head on the desk. No employer will keep you if you fall asleep in the car on the way to work. Most of them are not crazy about having you there when you're popping Vicodin like candy either.

I'm sitting here shaking like a leaf. I really am sick to my stomach. I won't hear anything for about 4 months is what she said. I CAN'T LIVE THAT LONG!!!! Why is it some people know how to get everything. I can't seem to get a damn thing. (sorry) And it sure would be better if I had a nice brother that would make some phone calls for me because my brain and mouth get all confused. That guy who came in and cleaned my house last year has disappeared. I haven't talked to him in at least 2 weeks. ARRRGGGHHHH!

Time to take an anti-anxiety med and take a nap. My heart feels like it's pumping right out of my chest.

Not only that, but I thought I had to go to their office in person at some time, be she no I didn't have to, that everything can be done over the phone. I'm so confused... and just my luck my attorney is on vacation this week. I'm going to try and talk to his assistant tomorrow (she was out today). I don't get it. People who really don't need help get it with no problem. I'm here with NOTHING!!!!!

--
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

you can have things added.I would write a paper on EVERYTHING that you can't do anymore.They also ask for a friend or other to corroberate what you said on paper.The worker is not the whole thing.Some area lot easier to talk to than others.You will have plenty of time for your lawyer to help you.Relax if you can,I will let others who know more than Myself help you on other things.Linda
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Well at least you made it through the first step :) It is a long process...next you'll get a bunch of stuff in the mail to fill out even though you've already answered a lot of questions. I honestly don't think they even look at it. It's the doctor's letters that make the difference.

Jan
  4. mevy

mevy New Member

This is a very long, rough road that we travel to get something that is in my opinion rightfully ours.

And I know that I am one of the lucky ones. I did file in person and also did not feel that things went well. I took all of my medical records with me to the interview from 6-7 years back from every Dr. that I had seen.

You DEFINATELY CAN ADD INFORMATION to your file. After I had my interview, I felt that I didn't have enough room to go into detail about all of my medical issues. So I wrote a letter and told them that due to space limitations I didn't feel that I had given them enough information to make a fair decision on my case. I told them everything that is going on with me, and how this DD has affected my quality of life--or the lack of my quality of life.

I also had a sleep study done after the interview and I sent the results to them also. I took all this to my examiner and told her I wanted this included in my reports.
    I addressed my letters to Social SEcurity Determination Board.

Just write up your thoughts (and life) and any test reports and any records you can get. Take them to your examiner and tell them to include them for determination of your case.

I know how lucky I am. My interview was March 30, 2006. I recieved a check for my 5 months back pay on JUne 5, 2006, and my monthly checks are now coming in.

I wish you well. Keep on keeping on. Hope you won't have to hard of a battle.

Hugs to all,

Mevy
  5. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

It's very hard to hang in there when you are all alone. Right now I have no income. I don't know who to even contract to try and get some help.

I am very lucky that my rheumy and my PCP have practically forced me into filing. They wanted me to do it last fall, but I was just too damn stubborn. If I had filed then we could have gone back to the December 2004. Instead, I had to work and basically make almost nothing.

I'm frustrated right now and very depressed.
    Tigger
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Look at it this way- you said your rheumy and your PCP wanted you to file. So they will back you up along the way. Try to be positive- nothing has happened yet. I'll be praying for you. Terri
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am so sorry. These people, they are OUR public servants. no need to make you feel that way, they could be kinder.

I did Dan's interview by phone in NC and I learned that one has to always state the worst possible scenario. For eg when they said, "Is he able to shave himself?" I said "No". Even though, at that time he could shave himself on his better days using an electric razor. As he is very dark, though the electric always left a big shadow(which was not so "in" then!lol) I emphasized the amount of laundry etc due to his sweating. I always advise people tell them about your worst day, when they ask anything, say the worst day as you are right they have no room for explanations.

Can you get a social worker somehow? I local Office for the Aging is a big help with rides, advise, free help, opeing the right doors and one only has to ask, as they usually help disabled too.

The local library sometimes can be helpful in putting people in touch, or please call the crisis hot line. I have often found that crisis lines will help.

Gee, I am sorry to be of not that much help but I wanted to let you know that I feel you are being wronged, four months??!! Do you have your congressman's number or local high up official? This is stupidity. I would also appeal the decision of your former employer re your unemployment.

My heart goes out to you, what a compassionate caring society...NOT.

Love Anne Cromwell
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I feel so similar that I want to extend a gentle hug.

My initial interview was 10 months ago & I'm still waiting to hear an initial ruling. My case finally went from the local office to the state level, at which point I had to do lots more paperwork for them.

So, there's lots of time & avenues to add extra thoughts. Yes, I wrote down everything I want to say before I said it & you have a right to know what questions you will be asked. Soc Security can send those to you or you can find them on the web. Better to have your answers in your own words ahead of time.

best to you.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Soc. Sec. should be sending you more forms to fill out about your "Daily Living Activities", etc. That will be your chance to add everything that you want to.

Also, as someone else said, you can submit them "Additional Information" on blank sheets of paper. Maybe you will receive something in the mail soon about who will be assigned your case, and what office he/she is located in. Then, you can send him/her all the additional information that you want to to add to the information that they will be evaluating.

You can ask friends, former coworkers, former bosses, etc. to write letters addressed to the SSA on your behalf regarding how your health has gone downhill, how you can not do anything, etc. They can give them to you and you send them to the SSA.

If you don't hear anything from the SSA in a month, call and ask them where you can send additional info to. While you are waiting this month, start a file on your computer for what you want to tell them about your health--what you can no longer do daily and how your quality of life is, and start typing things in it each day. That way, when you finally send where to mail the papers, you will have most of it written. It will be easier to write a litter bit each day than to try to do it all in a day or two.

Good luck.

If you want me to give you some examples, let me know.

Love and Hugs,
    Janet
  10. jasminesmema

jasminesmema New Member

To skeesix,

How did you manage to get SSI payments until your SSDI went through?? I am in North Carolina and have been back and forth between DSS and SS office on this. They tell me I am not eligible because I have not yet been determined disabled. I have been out of work since May 2005, and this is rough. As everyone knows, stress only adds to the FM pain, but try to tell that to them. If you have any suggestions, would love to hear them.

Hugs,
    Peggy
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

If you figure that one out, let me know. I was lucky enough to get some State Temporary Disability, $300 a week, but it's better than nothing.

This will be the last month that I have insurance through Blue Cross. I'm waiting to hear from a friend about what to do next. She works for Human Services. I gotta figure if you have no income, shouldn't you be eligible for Welfare? I don't know, but what I learn, I will pass on.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  12. suzetal

suzetal New Member

You should be eligible for Medicaid and ssid.I think thats what its called.Its for people with no income .

And who have field for SSD.I might have the two mixed up but I know it exist cause I had a friend who was on it while he waited for his SSD.

Hugs
    Sue
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am glad i did mine in person...not that it mattered..

but wishing you lots of luck...and apply for general asistance...can you rent out a room in your home...? to help ends meet?

jodie