My Story...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenifurlii, Aug 31, 2002.

1. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

Hi to everyone,
    I have been reading several postings and have come to realize that I am in the right place. There are several things going on with my system at once. Hypothyroidism; Insulin Resistance; Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome; Fibromyalgia; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Autoimmune Asthma/Several environmental allergies; Sleep Apnea;and finally... Vitiligo. Sheesh, it seems like I am forgetting some...
    I don't even know how long I have been suffering from FMS, but I have only recently (little over a year) been diagnosed.
    I have tried several muscle relaxabts, anti-depressants, non-steroidal anti-flammatory meds, but to NO AVAIL--still have problems sleeping, and continual flare-ups one after another. I gave up on anti-depressants as they have contributed to my weight gain. My general practioner seems to believe that FMS is a real condition but she is not wanting to rush into prescribing narcotics. I did not either. However, I have had no success on these other meds I am about ready to ask for Xanax. Does anyone have anything positive to say about Xanax? I know that it is addictive but I am tired of constantly being tight and wound up. I have high levels of anxiety and I know that is largely from the fact that I have untreated Sleep Apnea. I am unable to use the breathing apparatus I should be using every night due to clausterphobia and anxiety. My sleep doctor put me on Ambien and I have been on it for a couple of months now. It works pretty good, but I just don't really want to stay on it due to the extra amount of grogginess I have the next morning--added to the fatigue I already contend with. I see my doc on September 18th. Another thing that I thought I might try is physical therapy. Do not know much about it, but I know that using their hot tub would be worth getting the referral for alone. Does anyone have a positive experience with physical therapy? Last question...Does anyone know if I will only continue developing autoimmune conditions as long as I have mercury fillings in my mouth? I am going to ask if my doc will test me for metal poisoning as well. I hope that y'all didn't get bored reading this long-winded intro!
    It is really nice getting to know everyone and hearing their frustrations, experiences, and ideas. Thank you so much for all being supportive!
    God Bless!
  2. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

Hi to everyone,
    I have been reading several postings and have come to realize that I am in the right place. There are several things going on with my system at once. Hypothyroidism; Insulin Resistance; Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome; Fibromyalgia; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Autoimmune Asthma/Several environmental allergies; Sleep Apnea;and finally... Vitiligo. Sheesh, it seems like I am forgetting some...
    I don't even know how long I have been suffering from FMS, but I have only recently (little over a year) been diagnosed.
    I have tried several muscle relaxabts, anti-depressants, non-steroidal anti-flammatory meds, but to NO AVAIL--still have problems sleeping, and continual flare-ups one after another. I gave up on anti-depressants as they have contributed to my weight gain. My general practioner seems to believe that FMS is a real condition but she is not wanting to rush into prescribing narcotics. I did not either. However, I have had no success on these other meds I am about ready to ask for Xanax. Does anyone have anything positive to say about Xanax? I know that it is addictive but I am tired of constantly being tight and wound up. I have high levels of anxiety and I know that is largely from the fact that I have untreated Sleep Apnea. I am unable to use the breathing apparatus I should be using every night due to clausterphobia and anxiety. My sleep doctor put me on Ambien and I have been on it for a couple of months now. It works pretty good, but I just don't really want to stay on it due to the extra amount of grogginess I have the next morning--added to the fatigue I already contend with. I see my doc on September 18th. Another thing that I thought I might try is physical therapy. Do not know much about it, but I know that using their hot tub would be worth getting the referral for alone. Does anyone have a positive experience with physical therapy? Last question...Does anyone know if I will only continue developing autoimmune conditions as long as I have mercury fillings in my mouth? I am going to ask if my doc will test me for metal poisoning as well. I hope that y'all didn't get bored reading this long-winded intro!
    It is really nice getting to know everyone and hearing their frustrations, experiences, and ideas. Thank you so much for all being supportive!
    God Bless!
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

WOW! You sure have alot to handle!Dare I complain about my aches&pains!LOL Welcome to the board here!Glad you've joined in~I know you'll get alot of comfort just hearing from others that can somewhat relate to your daily pain and stress.I have FM and endometriosis and a few bad disks here&there.coming here and posting questions and or replying to others will help you alot,It has me.You'll find alot of support and very knowledgable people willing to help out in any way,-big plus.
    Some people here have mentioned about the toxic mercury fillings(i'm not to informed on that one)but I do know some are going as far as having them replaced or even pulled!!theres a few good articles on the topic here if you search the library.Again welcome and hope you feel at home.Hope to hear more from you~
    warm regards,
    Tracey
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello Jen, welcome to our world, so glad you found our board here.

You really have your plate full don't you?? I am having problems remembering all that you said you have. That is so sad.

It will take a few of us to answer all of your questions, as most answer from their own personal experience.

I take Xanax, I take it at 6pm in the evening (0.25) milligrams to calm my 'racing brain' down so that I can relax my mind down enough to sleep.

I have been taking this same amount now off and on for 15 years, never had to up the dosage. As for as taking it other than in the evening, I will take the same amount if I feel an anxiety attack coming on, or if I know I will be exposed to a stressfull situation.

I know KLUTZO also takes Xanax, and Cactus Lil, so they will be along to help more on this anti-anxiety med too.
    Its a life saver to me.

I have Fibro, none of the other illnesses you mentioned, but we do have other members with thyroid and some of the others you mentioned here also.

I don't take any other prescription meds, except the Xanax. I have tried many of them, and they did me more hard than good, so now I take supplements and herbs, home remedies, and a whole lot of common sense things too for sleep, pain, and the other Fibro related illnesses.

I have had Fibro for 20 plus years, so have been around the corner quite a few times with meds and doctors.

I have gotten more help here, on this board and also with their(Pro Health's) supplements that anywhere else. I am at least 80% better in the last year and a half that I have been previous to that.

Please note that this board is slow on holidays, so you will need to wait untill Tuesday for a lot of our members to respond to your post.

Again, welcome to the board, will be looking forward to knowing you better soon.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 08/31/2002]
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Wanted to welcome you & let you know that I too believe you've come to the right place, and so glad you did! I've learned so much here (sometimes I have to copy/paste it to a Word document to read at my leisure later...overload, lol)from the library & from the members. Most important to me, the members are so wonderfully supportive & knowledgeable.

I've gotten hope from hearing about people like Shirl (who's a great moderator btw) who are doing so much better. Many others have success stories of relief they've found.

I have fms, cfids, endometriosis, & although not official, I do get cysts on ovary (other one removed) quite often. I've been amazed at the connections b/w some of these diseases, but it helps for me to know I'm not alone.

Best wishes. Michele
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Just wanted to say that I had my mercury fillings removed in 1991 and replaced. I did not improve, but I'm still glad I did it.

Hippo
  7. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

I really appreciate the supportive comments. There are so many times a day that I myself wonder if I am just crazy. There is such a huge frustration that one feels with FMS.
    All I can do is take it one day at a time. Other than that I get too depressed. Thank you again for your supportive and kind words!
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Hi! You found the right place. I have FMS - I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I also think I have CFS, but that comes on once in a while. I take Effexor, Trazedone (to help me sleep), and Norflex (a muscle relaxer). I also take Ultracet for pain (it's a combination of Ultram and Tylenol). Not to mention Prilosec for reflex, and hormones. I had VERY GOOD LUCK with physical therapy! I went to a few until I found the right person. She worked with me and explained what she was doing and why, and showed me how the pain I had affected my hips. I do the exercises she showed me almost every day, and they most certainly do help. When I was in my last bad flare, my doctor prescribed Lidocaine patches and they really did help. I also exercise - I try to walk on the treadmill at the gym a few times a week. Walking loosens up the muscles in my hips. And when I can, I sit in the whirlpool in the locker room - the hot water is wonderful! If I can't get in the whirlpool, I take a very hot bath at home. I feel I'm doing the most I can right now. My Family Doctor and Rheumatologist are wonderful, and believe everything I tell them and respect me. It makes a big difference! I hope you find a regimen that will work for you!!!!

Annette2 :)
  9. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have been on Xanax for about 15 years. Actually I started at a higher dose and have weened it down myself. I have taken it for panic attacks---combination of anxiety and mitral valve prolapse disorder. I take it daily 1/2 tablet of .25mg. three times a day. I find that if I keep it in my bloodstream continuously in little doses I don't have the ups and downs when it wears off. I have tried Klonipin and Buspar and eventually went back to the Xanax. It doesn't give me any side effects at such a low dose. Now if I don't take it, I will feel kind of lightheaded and know I missed it---so, yes there is a dependency. I won't call it an addiction because I don't abuse the drug.
    Tania
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Welcome to the Board. I am one who has had positive results with physical therapy, specifically myofascial release. Had been dx'd over 20 years ago by rheumatologist but went into a terrible phase 3 years ago with my just not being able to move. Started PT for the first time for FMS and have had much relief. I am not pain free however. But I feel I am in control of it oddly enough. (If I were really in control, I would shove it out the door). I do pool therapy, water aerobics, some yoga, work over a physioball, pilates and some work on the machines at the gym (a few.) It all helps but it was the physical therapists who got me moving again. I had been an absolute mess. I continue to go once a week. Wish I could afford money-wise and time-wise to go twice a week. Fondly, June
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2002]
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

First of all would like to welcome you! I am not on Xanax, but do take Zanaflex, I love it, recently put on it and think it is great!

About the Physical Therapy, I was recommended to take Aquatic Therapy instead of the regular Physical Therapy from my Pain Management doctor, have done PT many times, but have a SI joint problem, and knee problem, and the water therapy is much better on the joints and muscles, I have just started a week ago or so and have to admit, I love that also! I don't feel as if I ran a marathon, and the impact on the joints is less exacerbating. Just a consideration.

God Bless Wildcat