My take on the Flu vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Sep 29, 2009.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I am 51, have never had the Flu vaccine, have never had the flu.

My husband, 55, has a one hour commute, works in an office setting, has never had the Flu vaccine, has never had the flu.

My daughter, 26, lived in dormitory setting for one bachelors degree, did a second bachelors, in Nursing, attending numerous Clinicals, currently doing a Masters in Nursing, attending Clinicals again. Has never had the Flu vaccine, has never had the flu.

My son, 21, is in Senior year of college, living in dorms, has never had the Flu vaccine, has never had the flu. In fact, he has not been on an antibiotic since age 1 1/2, and has not missed a day of school or work since 6th grade.

My family history included 13 cases of Muscular Dystrophy, numerous (deadly) cancers, severe Osteoporosis (to the point of collapsed vertebea and Dowagers humps), widespread thyroid disease and endocrine problems, a few cases of Diabetes.

We do NOT come from health stock. We do not live in isolation or avoid people or social situations. In fact, we don't make an effort to avoid sick people. The only thing we do do, is eat REALLY well and take supplements. I don't know what else to attribute it to.

I believe the HYPE surrounding vaccines is just that, HYPE.
  2. gasolo

gasolo New Member

There appears to be a lot of controversy about the flu vaccine. A subtantial number of members have posted their pros and cons, therefore I won't rehash what has already been said.

As a health care provider I have a slightly different perspective. If most of the staff at a hospital decide not to recieve the vaccine and a particular large outbreak of H1N1 flu happens in their community, then how does the local hospital operate? If a large enough percentage of the healthcare staff becomes infected, then many services usually provided will be suspended.

If the majority of trauma surgeons become infected simultaneously, then what? No trauma surgery for one or two weeks.

I do feel it should be an individuals right to decide yeh or nah concerning their own vaccination. I also feel its in the publics interest for all health care worker at a hospital or clinic to be vaccinated. Just my opinion.

3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

The typical flu vacc rate for health care workers in any given yr is usually at or below 50%. That figure applies to doctors, as well.

Yesterday on NPR's Talk of the Nation, a couple of experts were expressing differing opinions on the wisdom of mandated flu vacc for health care workers.

One of the difficulties with mandated vaccinations is the difficulty of enforcement. If enough HCW decline, and are told not to come to work (which apparently is happening), the patient care system is also at risk.

One of the experts felt that mandating vaccination for HCW tended to backfire with more resistance to vaccination.

While some HCW who called into the show felt they were protecting patients by getting the vacc, other HCW brought up the fact that there are numerous routes for infections to spread in hospitals.

For example, will all visitors be required to show proof of vaccination? And patients being admitted to the hospital (for flu as well as for other causes) -- are potential sources of transmission to other patients by a variety of vectors. This is known.

HCW know that their clothing can easily become contaminated with virus -- yet gowning changes between patients apparently are still in effect pretty much only for certain circumstances such as isolation & ICU.

Anyone attending a clinic or hospital is at risk of contracting disease from a variety of sources. Ill HCW are one, but there are others as well.

I support trauma surgeons who are eager to get the vaccine.

But I'm also reminded of the studies that show that when doctors go on strike, the death rate falls ...
  4. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi SnooZQ,

In my post my concern wasn't that health care providers would spread the virus, but rather that they may become sick and unable to work.

In terms of when doctors go on strike and the dealth rate falls, this seems a bit counterintuitive. I can't imagine that the neonatal icu or the pediatric icu closing because doctors are too sick to go to work would lower the death rate of these children.

5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Yes, your post was quite clear. Both posts were.

I was simply expanding on the general topic of HCW/flu, & relaying some of the opinions held by other HCW around the country.

Best wishes.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would be interested in where you got these statistics.

Does this mean just "do away" with doctors? I would certainly hope not!!

If you don't want to get services from a doctor, then do not go.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for another perspective on the flu vaccines.

8. jole

jole Member

Many of the nurses I worked with seemed to build up a resistance to many of the illnesses going around each year. They were actually less likely to get sick, even though they dealt with the viruses daily, because of good handwashing techniques. They also were more careful about their diets.

If you actually visit with the nurses, they will tell you that those who got the flu shots were actually sick as much as those who didn't...simply because of the differing viruses. Plus, we were never to the point of having a shortage due to sick just didn't happen.

No, I'm not saying none of them ever got sick. They're human, of course. But they will also tell you that when they got sick, they usually had a household family member ill at the same time.
  9. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi Jole,

I'm actually married to a nurse. I'm not aware of a study that suggest that nurses are less likely to get sick as compared to the population at large.

Good handwashing is a great idea but doesn't protect someone from a cough.

I have been a medical director at a major wound care unit for more than a decade. I did get the flu 10 years ago. I did miss more than a week from work and subsequently have recieved a flu shot ever since. My exposure risk is very high. Again this is just one persons opinion.

10. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member
    British Medical Journal report on Israeli doctor strike
    This blogger argues that reports of decreased mortality during doctor strikes are not statistically significant.

People will likely believe what they want to believe.

But for anyone who thinks that the sky would fall, death rates would skyrocket, during a doctors’ strike – we’ve yet to see that happen, as far as I know. Though I'm sure there might be a circumstance where it could occur.

Best wishes

[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2009]
  11. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I mentioned this under another post regarding the flu shot. My son works in a hospital, and they are all required by NY state law to get the shot. He was innoculated a week ago at the hospital, said only that he had paperwork he had to sign, and didn't really have time during office hours to read. He is young and healthy.

I assume people with allergies can bypass it. Vaccines right now are not readily available to the general public, they are saying possibly the beginning of Nov. with nasal spray available first.

There have been a couple tv interviews with medical staff refusing on personal grounds, and they are expecting to be fired. My son doesn't seem to think it will be carried that far. I guess we shall see.

Back several years ago there was a very long post/replies with opinions of what fms people intended to do. At that time it seemed about 50/50 pro and con.

I personally do not intend to get any vaccines, although my spouse does. I found it intersting that the years vaccines were only available from private physicians, my doctor deemed the flu shot as absolutely necessary, to the tune of $40 on my bill that came in the mail.

I phoned his office and complained that if I had know he was charging four times what I could have stood in line for in a public place , I would not have let him make money off me.

The next year I got my shot at a public place, and found that my doctor never again mentioned the need for the shot once the $ wasn't flowing into his account.

Now I think at 65 I can get it free, but I am choosing not to. I think people should have a right to decide, and I think NY state may be in trouble finding compliance with it's general ruling regarding medical staff/hospital etc.
  12. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi SnooZQ,

I read the articles you cited and came to a different conclusion. The doctor strikes which you refer to didn't involve emergency services or intensive care units. I suspect if the doctors working in those areas went on strike the mortality rates would have skyrocketed.

13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The only two times I had the flu in my life I was a teenager in the 1950's/60's. I had the Asian flu in 1957 and another type later on, can't remember the name of it. My husband (we were dating at the time) also had both types. There were no vaccines then. I have never had the flu since nor have I ever received the flu vaccines.

My hubby does take the seasonal flu shots since he's out in the world more than I am. Don't know why I never get it. My daughter who works in the health care system always takes the shot. In the rest of my family, some do and some don't. One grown grandson seems to get the flu every year but he is prone to respiratory problems.

I guess it's just a matter for each one to decide. Personally, I'm afraid the vaccine will make me ill, having CFS/FM. I've wondered for a long time if my health problems started with the polio vaccines I received in the 50's/60's. We got the live virus and later on, also the other type. Seems like one too many. After getting the first one, I started to have health problems: flu, mono, German measles, strep infections.

These all occured in a two year time span. Had to drop out of high school for a semester. Makes me wonder! GB66

14. New Member

I grew up in Victor, NY near Rochester so we have something in common. We went camping in the Adirondacks every summer and winter.

My fibro came after a bad rear-end collision by a 14 yr old joy rider around 1990. I too have been searching for anything to help. I have tried the guai but not committed enough to do a good job of it. I may try it again.

Blessings to you
    Carolyn in the midwest
  15. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Gary,

I read just yesterday that some health care workers are taking low-dose naltrexone (LDN) and finding it helps their natural immunity to be able to fend off all types of infections. I was wondering if you've heard of this being used at all where you work. BTW, there was no reference to whether these people who did LDN did or didn't get flu shots.

I had an aunt who almost never got the flu, but was talked into getting a flu shot (when she was in her 80's). She said she was never so sick in her life. She never got another one! Personally, I think, with my health as it is, that it would be a dangerous thing for me to do. I think at least part of my CFS is due to some childhood vaccinations. I remember being so sick for so long afterward (many weeks).

Regards, Wayne
  16. gasolo

gasolo New Member

Hi Wayne,

I haven't heard much about low-dose-naltrexone but did recieve a fax from my hospital today concerning H1N1. They are recommending all health care workers be fitted with special respiratory mask. They are doing what they can to reduce the possiblility of the staff from contacting the flu.

17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I am surprised to find someone else who had Asian flu. Yes, it was horrible. I think it's the sickest I've been from a virus or even a bacterial infection. I was out of town visiting my aunt and uncle. I was there with my grandmother and fiance. I had to stay in bed the entire trip.

I remember them going out to breakfast and bringing back something for me but I couldn't eat. I kept my grandmother awake all night trying to bring my fever down. GB66
  18. hi all,

my family and myself have had this years flu vaccine,and i can report that we,ve all had no bad affects from it.

my daughter and myself suffer from asthma and psoriasis.i have fibromyalgia and CFS husband has heart problems.

so i know that we need all the help we can get,to fight off viruses that are active out there.

i work in a school and do get chest infections.the chest infections seem to strike me more, now that im older,so i have to be very careful.i didnt get them when i was younger.(or pre CFS).

ive been having the yearly flu vaccine for many years now,and only once did my body put me in that bedbound state after having the jab three years ago.

my doctor had said that in his opinion, that meant that if i hadnt had the jab that year,and had caught flu,i would have been very ill.

so thats why i weighed up the pros and cons of the flu jab,and decided to continue to have also going to have the swine flu jab if it is offered to me.

i never want to feel as ill as i did a while ago, when i got a most severe chest infection and it seemed to bring back the CFS in its most severe know,like when i first got ill with that many years ago.

take care,love fan

19. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I can't imagine having the flu on top of this DD.

I've always had the flu shots as I worked in school settings. Maybe that is the reason I am not hesitating about getting the vaccine. I also plan to get the H1N1.

What your doctor said how you might have been sicker if you had not had the flu shot, makes sense.

Take care.