My teeth ache

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharie, May 22, 2003.

1. sharie

sharie New Member

I did a search on tooth aches and came up with some older posts.
    My bottom molars(like 2 or 3 to the back of my mouth) have started killing me. It's more throbbing than aching. I have never had dental problems in the past, just sensitive teeth which I was told was lupus related. I know that I need to see the dentist but want to be armed with my info before they suggest anything that I don't want to do.

If anyone has this can you please let me know what it has turned out to be. Also, what can I do to get some relief??? At times the pain gets so intense it feels that it is going thru my jaw. I have also been getting headaches which I think are related. Thanks so much.

Sharie
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I haven't had the problem you are referring to but I had a terrible tooth infection. I took codeine and it did not help the pain at all.
    But .....Orudis KT which is an over the counter medication took the pain completely away for 3 hours at a time and helped me handle it until I could get the tooth pulled. I have suggested that for others and they got great relief from tooth pain.
    Just make sure that if you are taking any medication you make sure that it does not interact with Orudis KT. Read the label on the bottle also.
    I swear it worked amazingly well.Make an appointment with a dentist right away. If you have infection you don't want to let it go
    Good luck. Tooth pain is the worst !
  3. RedB

RedB New Member

Do both sides hurt? My Fibro for some weird reason used to make my bottom back teeth ache for a few days before my menstrual cycle was due to start. It started doing that after I became ill, and lasted until I was finished with menopause.

The difference is, mine was more of an irritating ache -- not a throbbing pain.

Kathy
  4. sharie

sharie New Member

for some info.
    Kathy that is interesting info since it is "my time of the month" now and the problem started a few days ago. It is on both sides, but for some reason everything about me seems to hurt more on the left side, teeth included. This is the first time that I've had this problem. Diagnosed about 3 months ago and it seems like everyday something new pops up.

Princessraye...where do you but this orudis kt? I have never heard of it and would like to take a look at it. I have been taking advil for the pain and it really doesn't do much of anything.

Sharie
  5. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

It is in the same aisle as Tylenol, Aspririn, etc.
    I keep some on hand just in case !
    The KT stands for Ketoprophin (not sure I spelled that right) If you try it please let me know. I am curious as it has worked so well for others. Not sure why :)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2003]
  6. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

I read in Devins 2nd edition that there are TRP's in the head that can cause the type of pain that you are talking about. I have it sometimes in my top front teeth.
  7. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

I just went thru the similar, only i didn't know which teeth were bothering me, my jaw and all my back teeth, also very sensitive to hot and cold, so I went to the dentist after weeks of pain and got lots of x-rays, there was nothing showing so she said in must be related to my muscular pain and if i was doing something different to be causing this. I just joined curves a womens club of hydraulic excersing machines and any type of movements with resistance causes my upper extremity pain which extended right upto my head (jaw especially) I have to be very careful not to overdue myself I took a break for a week and started vioxx it helped but now i don't know if i should continue my workout. Good luck to you, mom3
  8. sharie

sharie New Member

thanks for reminding me about the vioxx. I was put on it with my diagnosis and just last week stopped taking it. My dr. said to take it as needed so I think I will give it a try and see if it helps.

Sharie

9. healing

healing New Member

I have this happen...sometimes it's my sinuses being swelled up from allergies, but other times, it's muscular. That can be caused simply by tightness from FM or, more often, from tightening my head and jaw muscles due to stress (including pain).

Here's what my PT does -- be gentle because the spot can be exquisitely tender! Stick your finger in your mouth and press around in the area where your lower jaw attaches, up into the area inside your cheek over your top molars. You will likely find one or more tender spots that you can gently press on (as you are able to tolerate) to relieve the achiness.

These inner mouth tender spots are very very sensitive, but we hardly know they are there! Hope this works for you. It always helps me.
  10. healing

healing New Member

for sharie
  11. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

I have this problem also, but mine is due to me clenching my teeth. It takes a real effort for me to make myself not clench. I must look kind of stupid with my mouth half open all the time!

Bye for now, Valley
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2003]
  12. sharie

sharie New Member

I have a really silly question. My mind has been gone for some days now (actually wondering if this is a flare for me, many things are starting all of a sudden).

I read your post, thank you, but I cannot figure out if I am supposed to massage my gums or my cheeks? Help....

Sharie
  13. baybe

baybe New Member

First I had root canals done for a bundle of money, then I ended up having four pulled. This was all due to my fibro, right now I am in the process of having the old fillings taken out (mercury) and replacing them. I have noticed less pain, but it is not a total change. I wish I had it done before I lost my teeth, though. The change is enough that the occasional pain is not so bad.