My Test Results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaR, Nov 26, 2005.

1. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am finally finding a bit of energy to sit here to post. I have had family here for Thanksgiving... and so exhausted (mentally and physically) with not only holiday, but family issues.....AND TWO ARE STILL HERE!!!

I went to doc last Tuesday for follow-up on tests results. She didn't have heart results back yet. I will probably find that out when I go to the cardiologist Dec 06. She INSISTED that I keep my appointment...wonder if she knows more than she was telling me? We will see!

Anyway, I have COPD! I knew that I had asthma...but was told it is much worse. Now I know why I couldn't get air...feels like I am suffocating! I'm on Advair for now....doesn't seem to be much help.

This was such a shocker, because I have never smoked...even though I guess I did as a child (second hand smoke) the doc said that is why I now have this.

The MRI has also showed that my spine is in really bad shape....upper and lower! This is probably why I have the terrible pain in my neck, low back, hips and top of legs (horrible burning pain).
    I have to see a back surgeon for consultation as soon as I can get an appointment...probably not until Feb! Not sure what to do about this yet.

And, I was told that I have a/the gene (not clear on this...to much at one visit!!) for breast cancer....my mom had b-cancer. Must be checked twice a year now!

Oh...I will stop as it is too much. I guess that I am just falling apart and still have FIBRO/CHRONIC FATIQUE!

I even feel bad complaining to you all....but I did say I would inform you.

Thanks for being here friends!!

MamaR
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Sorry to hear your test results were not great. I can relate to breathing problems. I have asthma as well and I think it is very depressing when you struggle to breathe.

My asthma was not in control about 5 years ago and my doc. put me on Advair and Singular. It works well for me - I actually just had my first asthma problem requiring prednisone last week. I hadn't had any problems all these years after the change in meds until now.

I hope the Advair begins to work for you.

-Kathi
  3. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

Have you considered seeing a chiropractor to get a second opinion from another viewpoint.

I was at a website earlier today that gave some very interesting info re Fibro points on your body that indicate it. I've been going to the chiro for years and always have the same sore spots. To my surprise, they are the same ones shown in this link. I know that my pain is relieved after my visits (about every 6 weeks to 3 months).

http://www.fmnetnews.com/pages/criteria.html
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I just checked back and saw your posts.

Tigger....I used to do the chiropractor thing way back when I was younger, but it was more just in my muscles at that time. But, the last time I tried it... either he wasn't on my page or something....it made me soooo much worse!

I have been afraid to try it anymore!
    I will check out the site you suggested though...Thanks!!

You all are so great! I truly appreciate you!!

MamaR
  5. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Just thought some of you might have missed my message. I'm unable to stay on for very long at a time last few days. Just check in now and then.

Hope Fivesue is o.k.
    I noticed that she hasn't posted in awhile...or either I missed her! It is so easy as this board moves so fast!
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My prayers are with you.Linda
  7. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am just taking it a day at a time as usual...as everyone one else here does.

The pain and lack of energy is the worst for me. I was always so busy in the past. I went from 5:00 a.m. 'till 12:00 p.m. with my job and family. I loved being active! I do good now just to make it to church or grocery!

I knew that a lot was going on, but was really shocked that there are so many issues.

I really think my new doc will try to help me get it all in control...as much as I can, of course.

I hope that you are having a good day!!

Bless you....Mari

8. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

MamaR

Not all chiropractors are the same. I was fortunate to find one who is also interested in alternative medicine. In my first few visits, he would be feeling my spine to see where it was out of alignment and ask seemingly off the wall question like "how's your stomach been doing" or "are you dehydrated" or ask about my bladder, or sinuses etc. Each time he was right on...I was struggling with it. I finally asked how he could tell and he explained it to me. It's all very fascinating to me.

One day he was feeling the joints in my face and discovered I had TMJ (a symptom of CFS or FM...can't remember). He fixed it.

Hope things go better for you.

9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

This info is very interesting! I admit it has been years since I have been to a chiro.

I have TMJ! Oh, how great that it would be to get relief from it!

I will ask around for a good one in my area!

Thanks so much....MamaR
  10. Musica

Musica New Member

MamaR, COPD is such a serious condition, I hope it isn't very far along and can be treated successfully with meds. How old are you now, if I may ask? I was exposed to second hand smoke until I went away to college.

You have a lot to deal with, and you probably thought FM and Chronic Fatigue were enough! My thoughts and prayers are with you. And I hope your family leaves soon!
  11. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

...that you got so much unfortunate news in one appointment. Hopefully, the cardiologist won't have anything else to report.
  12. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am 53 years old. I haven't had real check-up for years, but knew that my asthma (or so I thought) was getting worse.

This new doc is VERY concerned and had me go through all of these tests...including the breathing test at hospital (can't remember the name).

When I went in for results I was actually shocked about this! When she told me that I had a chronic lung disease I sort of froze mentally! I remember that she mentioned that it would only get worse and mentioned emphysema! My dad had this and had horrible coughing spells...this I don't have unless I get bronchitis.

I am still in shock! I never smoked! It is hard to believe that I could have this.
    I have days that I feel as though I am suffocating!!
    I am on Advair...but I am not sure this is going to be enough. I will consult doc this week.

I was reading about emphysema and it mentioned that the heart can be affected. I have been having chest pains and had tests for this also. I go to cardiologist Dec 06!

I am sorry that I have gone on so...but so frustrated.

I just edited this as I saw the message from kylesmom! Thanks so much for the encouragement...NEED IT!!

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]
  13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Albuterol or one of those. I have that and a steroid inhaler..same as what's in the Advair. I hope all gets under control for you, I'm sorry to hear you have SO much to contend with!
  14. MamaR

MamaR New Member

How do you react to the inhalors with steroids?

Is there any other options?

Thanks for the encouraging words!

MamaR

15. fivesue

fivesue New Member

(((((HUGS)))))))

Dear Mari...

It sounds just too overwhelming, doesn't it? You must be an amazing person to accomplish even gettin gup in the morning! My!

One day, one hour, one minute at a time...and I'm not being a preacher or a know-it-all, but someone who has had to live like that many times not for physical reasons as much as for family problems. Sounds like you have that, also.

Prayers and hugs coming to you. You are a terrific person.

((((Hugs again))))

Sue
  16. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

COPD isn't necessarily from smoking/smoke exposure. My Dad has it now and he's never smoked -- nor did his family or my mother or her side!

Dad's COPD came on after he was diagnosed (several years ago) with congestive heart failure. I'm not sure whether that is a potential cause or not.

Best wishes with the treatment!

Janelle
  17. MamaR

MamaR New Member

It was so good to hear from you!! I wasn't on here very much over the holiday, but when I did check in... and last night..I didn't see where you had been on.

Is everything o.k. with you? I sure hope so!!

Yes, I am so exhausted from just trying to keep up with all of my upcoming appointments. I am just trying to take it easy now. The family has all finally went their own way. I cleaned up the mess (best that I could) and I'm doing nothing now...except try to stay out of pain as much as possible.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Mari
  18. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I appreciate the info about the COPD.

I am so glad that you mentioned it... because I have been having many heart tests done. There is heart disease on both sides of my family!

When I go to Cardiologist I will talk with him about this info. I appreciate you guys so much!

Mari
  19. fivesue

fivesue New Member

You are so sweet! We were supposed to be going to my parents' house for Thanksgiving when I came down with a 3-day virus. Now, I would have gone anyway, but my dad has pulmanary fibrosis...a terminal lung disease that the medical profession doesn't know what causes nor can they cure or even slow it down...and he can't get any bug like this or it would probably kill him at this stage. So, we stayed home. Sigh.

I was sick for just three days...feeling bad, feeling awful, feeling a bit better and well! We had some fun times in spite of the change of plans.

Glad family has departed and you can rest. I know that my father and my father-in-law were both on Advair...my father-in-law died last January at just shy of age 91, and it did help him with his asthma. I hope they will find another medicine. My sister-in-law has been disabled by asthma so that she only has about 30% lung capacity. She has a machine that she uses...can't remember it, but it helps her. You will probably be given other things to help the COPD.

I'm just sorry about your pain from FM AND the pain from your back,etc. Hope the surgeon can get you in sooner and I really hope there is some help without surgery! That would be the best! I'm glad you're resting. Keep it up! (-:

All's well here. Just put Jim (DH) on an airplane for a business trip. The sewer is being worked on here and we can't put any water at all down it until 5 PM Pacific time...glad I showered early this AM.

Life...never know what's around the next corner!

Love,
    Sue
  20. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am so sorry that you didn't get to be with your dad. I hope that you can see him soon!

I sort of feel where you are now. I guess because I loved my dad so much! I am praying for you and your family.

It sounds like you have alot going on there...with sewer problem and hubby gone. I hope that they get the sewer fixed soon. Maybe you can try to find a quiet place with a cup of tea(or favorite beverage) and try to relax.

I want you to know that I truly appreciate your concern and you always seem to know how to make me smile... and feel better. I can tell by your posts that you are a GIVER and dear person.

There are so many people on here that were there for me...especially when I was so down awhile back. You were one of them!

I remember how I felt so alone before I found this site. It is amazing to me how when we get desperate God always finds a way to give us a hug! He did that for me when I found you and the others!!!

Thanks again,

Mari