my tongue won't work,I can't even talk

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momof27, May 19, 2008.

1. momof27

momof27 New Member

my brain is not working with my tongue and it scares me, if someone talks to me I can't think and say what I want to say, I get so upset because I can't put the words together and make them come out right , so I hide from everyone.
  2. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

here and there when im at my worst or overloaded with various symptoms i jumble my words alot. Is that what you are talking about? Its scary and frustrating. I just think before i speak and take my time.
  3. poets

poets Member

I do this, and it scares me too. It almost reminds me of a stroke or something. Frustrating and embarrassing. You feel so helpless. Guess that's just another thing we have to deal with.

Hugs,
    Meg
  4. mindyandy420

mindyandy420 New Member

Yes I can totally relate. I have this problem sometimes. Very embarrassing. I just dont bother talking.
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

or my words come out wrong - like my tongue is all floppy...LOL.

It is embarrassing but I just say to people that I am very tired and can't talk right. People seem to accept that mostly.

Are you extra fatigued when you get this? That's when it happens to me especially if I am "tired but wired".

Love Bunchy x
  6. momof27

momof27 New Member

I CALLED THE BANK BECAUSE I LOSE THE PIN TO MY BANK ACCOUNT IN MY HEAD IT WON'T COME BACK.

SO I CALLED TO GET A NEW ONE AS SOON AS SHE HAD ME PICK A NEW ONE ,I DIDN'T WRITE IT DOWN AND HAD TO TELL HER I FORGOT IT AGAIN, SHE LAUGHED BECAUSE SHE THOUGH I WAS JOKING.

WELL I WASN'T AND I ALMOST HUNG THE PHONE UP OUT OF EMBARASSMENTBUT I KEPT TRYING AND FINALY TOLD HER I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY BRAIN AND THEN I REALLY FELT OLD , SHE WAS SO SWEET BUT I FELT 90 YRS OLD AT THAT POINT
  7. poodlesrock

poodlesrock New Member

I oftrn find that I get tounge tied as well. It become frustrating. I often tell others that I need to back up a minute. I find that taking it slower helps, but sometimes things I say makes no sense to others in context, but in my head it does. That drives me crazy. I found that it gets better over time.

poodlesrock
  8. Pwr2Heal

Pwr2Heal New Member

I do this as well at times. Used to do it a lot more when I was more sick. It is scary. I still get it pretty bad when I'm having a big detox.

And then, get this, I went to a new dentist the other day to see about having my silver amalgam fillings replaced and he did a very thorough check of my entire mouth. One of this comments was that my tongue is "scalloped and enlarged." I couldn't believe it! About a year ago the thought did cross my mind that my tongue doesn't seem to fit in my mouth as it used to.

Well, after a bit of research that I found that it's fairly common in CFS to have an enlarged tongue. And that it's also common with hypothyroidism (which many with CFS have). Huh. Who knew. Not sure how this relates to difficulties talking (as when I can't get words out it feels more like my brain and tongue aren't working together well... feels more mental). But, I can't imagine that having an enlarged tongue helps any!

Does anyone know anything else about an enlarged tongue? Anyone else have this?
  9. Bemused

Bemused New Member

I'm extremely forgetful, I have had to tell hubby all my pin numbers so if I do struggle to remember he can tell me, I can often forget what I'm talking about half way through a sentence..lol
    My mouth quite often feels like its stuffed with cotton wool it makes the simplest sentence a chore to get out, people often ask me to repeat myself a few times in order to understand what I'm saying. It gets very frustrating and tiring. I often find my self stumbling over certain words or having to slowly say the word to make sure it comes out as it should.... it makes me feel very old and decrepit.... I'm only 42!!!
    *sigh* I used to be such a good conversationalist, never stuck for words, now I hate talking to friends and family as its sometimes so difficult. :(
  10. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

and a muscle therapist went inside my mouth and loosened the tight muscles! I was literally tongue-tied!!!

In the beginning, I had CFS first, I would be too tired to talk. I would slur my speech. My tongue would have a tremor. I was embarassed because I tried to explain that symptom to a doctor and he laughed at me!

All my muscles had no tone back then either, as I had mono at the time. I thought I was dying. I had another doctor scold me for my lack of muscle tone!? I quit her right on the spot.

Today, I do feel too tired to eat at times and have difficulty swallowing meat and large pills, so I stay away from them.

Thanks for this Board where we all tend to understand these strange happenings...........