My trip to the doc today...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fmandy, May 14, 2007.

1. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

was an eye opener for sure. My ENT is really a genius. I am serious. He is also a really friendly, approachable guy around 34 years old I would say.

I was his last appointment so I was going to take my-no his time lol. I showed him where my socks had made an indentation around my lower legs, and my legs below these indentations were much smaller in diameter, due to fairly severe pitting edema.

I have been getting lung congestion for about 4 months with no respiratory infection or any other symptoms. I cough fairly often and bring up a frothy sputum, which is a sign of pulmonary edema or fluid on the lungs. I told him this and he then wanted to listen to my heart.

He listened in several different locations for quite some time. He then told me that my aortic valve was leaking, and that I should see my cardiologist as soon as I could.

What a bummer. I am holding fluid because my heart is probably not pumping enough total volume of blood through my kidneys where fluid is removed. Approximately 1/3 of the output of your heart goes through your kidneys to be filtered.

I need to cut salt totally out of my diet and start restricting the amount of fluid I drink. And take that Lasix by the handfuls, lol.

Well, this was just a letter to myself. I think I will reply pretty soon :)

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, it's always good to know what's going on. You're lukcy to have a doc you have confidence in. Too bad we're not like old cars that can just get a valve job.

I hope your new regimen has you feeling much better in a short time.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

at least your doctor was quick to respond which doesnt happen often over here in Scotland.

I'm sorry you're having more problems and hope your diet etc helps you loads.

4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I guess I was/am a bit distressed but I will not lose my sense of humor, or be miserable for whatever time I have left. I had a heart attack 4 years ago, so every day for me is a blessing, just like it is for you guys. There is no difference. I have coronary artery disease and have 4 stents in my coronary arteries.

Now y'all have a great day please,

5. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

We are always talking at the same time lol...Thanks for your kind note. Yes I will see my cardio soon.

Be good and extremely happy :)