My trip to the ER: I contacted the Chief...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DeborahLynn, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

This note was written about three weeks ago, right after my first trip to the ER, with an ambulance ride; a week after the first ER/ambulance experience, I had to go to the ER again with seizures. This contact was made before the second ER experience... is everyone totally confused by now? I am!!! Here is the update to the first ER trip:

I spoke with Chief Wilkerson yesterday. Before I talked with him, I didn't know what to expect. I did not (emphasize did not) want to get anyone in trouble. My purpose for contacting the Chief was to hopefully make him aware of the problem, and to ask him to add some "sensitivity to the victim" training of some sort to their EMT training, or at least talk about this in one of their meetings.

Chief Wilkerson could not have been more supportive, polite, and sympathetic! He asked me to please tell him what happened, and he asked questions along the way. The whole time, he was emphasizing the fact that he was going to use my concerns as a way to train his EMTs and correct this problem.

He said several things in support of me, such as the EMTs need to treat every situation as an emergency, even if it doesn't look like one at first, and not say things that belittle the patient. He said he has 30 years of experience as an EMT, and that there should be nothing but professionalism, care and concern in the way the EMTs treat their patients.

He made me feel so much better! I had always felt trusting of the EMT service, and held them in high regard and respect; Chief Wilkerson restored that respect and trust! He was amazing!

Chief Wilkerson said that one of the EMTs who responded to my call was a student from UTC, and that inexperience may have played a part in the way they reacted to me.

I also wanted to say that the whole note I posted about this situation was initially written to go on a message board about ME/CFIDS and FMS. At the beginning of the note, when I said that one of the reasons I was writing this note was to see if this had happened to anyone else, I was referring to the medical symptoms, and not the EMT service. I suspect that anyone who has ever had to ride in an ambulance has probably experienced only top-notch treatment, both medically and mentally.

I have a great respect for first responders; they never know what they'll find, and they have to react quickly and professionally, and they save lives!!!

I am still very, very weak, and my pain level is elevated... I am going to really do my best at trying to pay attention to my body, and stop when it says stop!

Now I say, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, and praise the Lord for His provision for our salvation! My love to all, Debbie
  2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Roman 8:28 :)

"Now I say, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, and praise the Lord for His provision for our salvation! "
    Yes, indeed!

3. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Praise the Lord! It's amazing how He works in our lives to bring about our best good, isn't it? Merry Christmas to you, too! Debbie