My trip to the ER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, May 9, 2006.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

So, I suddenly got this massive headache last night at around 6:30pm. It was so bad, and I was feeling dizzy and weak because of it. I took more than the recommended dose of Advil, and it wasn't even touching it. Began throwing up at around 7:30pm. By about 9:30pm, when I was still throwing up, I decided it was time to go to the ER.

They gave me some Phenergan pretty much right away, which helped not only for the nausea, but for the headache too. It put me right to sleep. They took me for a CT scan, blood work, and finally did a spinal tap later on. Everything checked out okay, except that my blood pressure was high. So, I finally got home at about 4:00am, and I just crashed. I'm still feeling weak and exhausted today. I had to get up early with my son today, since my husband couldn't take off from work. My mom just came and picked JJ up though, so I'm going to be heading back to bed for a few hours.

Gentle healing hugs to all. I hope you guys are having a better day than I am. I'm just really tired and achey right now. And my back is a bit sore from the spinal tap, but that's to be expected.

Take care,
    Kim
  2. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

a severe migraine....I had one like that once, I thought I had the flu because the head pain wasn't there yet...till a few hours later. My husband ended up taking me to the ER, and I got a shot of the stuff that settles your stomache....I finally got some sleep too. Turned out it was a severe migraine and I didn't know it. (Usually I khnow!)

Hope you feel better.
  3. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Could of been a migraine............they make me sick to my stomach sometimes when I get a real bad one. Hope you get to feeling better.........
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I had the same situation you had last December. When I got a chance to go to my Dr., he said it was probably a migraine headache and he gave me Imitrex (sp) and also a prescription for some vicoden, because the only thing that worked to get rid of the pain was the vicoden. Nothing would touch it!

I have not had one since, but I keep the imitrex on hand in case I have another one. I feel for the people who get them all the time! I had this for 3 days.

Your blood pressure was probably high from the headache.

Rest up and then ask your Dr. for something for migraine headaches and take it as soon as you realize you don't have just a normal mild headache. It will stop it from developing.

Sorry you had to go through that! I know how you feel!

Take care, Sally
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I get migraines. I'm on verapamil (a calcium channel blocker...BP med) to try and keep them away. But I still sometimes get one. Then I take a shot of Imitrex. That usually does the trick.

Your symptoms sound just like mine. The pain, the nausea and vomiting, dizziness and weakness. I would also become even more sensitive to light and sound.

After the verapamil, I went from 2-3 migraines a week to 2-3 a month, then to 2-3 a year. Whew! What a relief!

Talk to your doc. There are treatments for this.

God Bless.