My TSH (3rd Generation) some help with understanding this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Aug 9, 2005.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Ok, you guys, I was told that my thyroid is normal.
    I have the lab report that says it's 3.615. From what I have been reading on the board, and what FFC doc say is that it is high. Any comments, advice?
    Thanks, just trying to figure out the pieces of the puzzle like all of us here.
    -Laura
  2. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

producing enough TSH....your thyroid is not working properly. I would get a rx of a thyroid hormone ASAP.

I found that if my TSH is not between .1 & .2 I am in a lot of pain. Your thyroid can effect sooo many things that this is one thing I never mess around with.
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

That is, I believe, now considered high---even in mainstream doctor terms. I think the old lab values were 0-5.0, but they've since been amended to 0-3.0. And many docs say they like it under 2.0, and "ideal" is around 1.0! So yours does sound high----could explain some hair loss, though I know yours has improved.

Others here can shed more light on the TSH values, I'm sure, this is just from my vast volume of hair loss research, you know how that goes.

Good luck, get this checked out---I guess a lot of docs are pretty complacent these days and still use that old 5.0 as the high....

Nice to "talk" to you!
    -Pam
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I love this board and all of the help.... I am seeing my PCP, but he seems clueless. Would an Endo be better?
    more thoughts?
  5. jenunsa

jenunsa New Member

It depends on the endo.

Your TSH, in my opinion, is a little elevated and means you MAY be a bit hypothyroid. Most endos would probably disagree with that, though.
    Try to find one that makes decisions based more on your symptoms and less on your lab results. Technically, your TSH is normal according to traditional range values. But there is an increasing number of docs who think that the range should be lowered so that anything over 2.0 means the patient is hypothyroid. Some call this "subclinical hypothyroidism" (if the patient has symptoms of hypothyroidism).
    My TSH has been right on the cusp, hovering around 2.0. Every time I try to increase my dose of levoxyl I end up feeling worse with hypERthyroid symptoms, so I've given up trying to get my TSH any lower. My present endo has been very understanding as far as listening to my symptoms and my opinion about things. I had to go through several endos before I finally found him. And now, 3 years after having my thyroid out, I finally feel like I'm pretty much euthyroid.
    So, my advice is to listen to your body. If you feel hypothyroid, then find a doc who will listen to you and will try to treat you for it and at least see if you feel better with thyroid hormone supplements.

Other lab tests to check: Hashimoto's antibodies, Free T-3, Free T-4, and any other thyroid hormone value your doc feels is necessary (different docs have different preferences as to what they want to look at -- I don't know why exactly.)

Good luck!
  6. Musica

Musica New Member

On my last lab, the range is listed as 0.4 to 4.7. Mine was normal. However, in looking at my favorite site for labs (google for labtestsonline), it says there is not a standard range for this test because the range for normal varies according to several factors. So, the lab should list what "normal" is for your circumstances.

Here is what was on the site as far as what the test does.

This test measures the amount of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) in your blood. TSH is produced by the pituitary gland, a tiny organ located below the brain and behind the sinus cavities. It is part of the body’s feedback system to maintain stable amounts of the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) in the blood. Thyroid hormones help control the rate at which the body uses energy. When concentrations decrease in the blood, the hypothalamus (an organ in the brain) releases thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH). This stimulates the release of TSH by the pituitary gland, and then TSH in turn stimulates the production and release of T4 and T3 by the thyroid gland, a small butterfly-shaped gland that lies flat against the windpipe. When all three organs are functioning normally, thyroid production turns on and off to maintain blood thyroid hormone levels.

If there is pituitary dysfunction, then increased or decreased amounts of TSH may result. If TSH concentrations are increased, the thyroid will make and release inappropriate amounts of T4 and T3 and the patient may experience symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid), such as rapid heart rate, weight loss, nervousness, hand tremors, irritated eyes, and difficulty sleeping. If there is decreased production of thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism), then the patient may experience symptoms such as weight gain, dry skin, constipation, cold intolerance, and fatigue. In addition to pituitary dysfunction, hyper- or hypothyroidism can occur if there is a problem with the hypothalamus (insufficient or excessive TRH). They may also occur with a variety of thyroid diseases that affect thyroid hormone production regardless of the amount of TSH present in the blood.