My TSH is very low...should I go off T3???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Sep 1, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been taking 37.5 mcg compounded T3 since last October. I have felt better since taking it. There are definitely other things making me feel better, but I think T3 is one of them.

My PCP had my TSH level tested and it was practically zero. Before taking T3, I was borderline HYPO-thyroid. But the low TSH level indicates HYPER-thyroidism. I think the level is artificially low because of taking the T3.

She says it means my thyroid is suppressed and I should go off T3. Any good arguments for staying on T3? I see my PCP next week and would like to have good arguments in hand.

Anyone go off T3 and still feel relatively OK? Is TSH really the level to look at? Other input?
  2. jane32

jane32 New Member

I was in your same boat. I amde my ffc dr. test me for TSH..he said they don't believe in it just T-3 and T-4 and reverse t3. My tsh was 0 just being on 20 mcg! I did fell better on it however after my relpase I went off everythign and now just staring up everything again. My tsh went back up to 3.5 which most endos would consider normal but since I am following ffc protocal I figured I woudl just with their advice for now. I am feeling so miserable lately nothing seems to work.

SOrry this probably didnot helo but I woudl ask to lower yoru dose just a tad for a few months then see where you stand.
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My TSH last time was .2 something. I am taking 50 mcg. of Cytomel every morning. I've had hypothyroidism since I was 9 years old and I'm 56 now.

For years my family docs kept me around 5.5 TSH and wouldn't get my TSH lower until I finally got fed up and asked my endocrinologist to take over my thyroid care. Then I mentioned to him that I understood it should be under 3.

I don't have the constipation I used to have. Because of FMS, I still have extreme fatigue, so I can't tell the difference much. It was changed when I had FMS and had quit exercising.

I would think you need to talk to your doctor about your TSH level and how you feel.

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2006]
  4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

There is a type of hypothyroid where the TSH is low, that's what I have. I can't remember the name. You can look it up though. So if you feel better, I wouldn't go off.
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

pjsmonster - Thank you for directing me to the thyroid site. I'm still waiting for them to email me with registration info. I will be very interested to see what people there have to say. I do feel better on the T3, so I hope that matters to my PCP.

jane 32 - I'm sorry to hear you are feeling worse. I thought a few months ago you were feeling better, no? It really stinks when you take a turn for the worse. I'm sorry you are having to start back at square one. I was going to FFC, but stopped. Just couldn't afford it. And, YES, your response did help. Thanks.

ilovecats94 - Thanks for telling me your TSH levels. I've thought about going to an endocrinologist. Maybe that will be the route I need to take to get the T3 prescribed.

lisaloo - I looked up the low TSH and hypothyroidism combo. It is called central hypothyroidism. Here is what Dr. Lowe website says about it:

"We see this lab test pattern among patients who have "central hypothyroidism." In this disorder, the patient has a thyroid hormone deficiency because her TSH is low. The TSH is low because of a problem with either the hypothalamus or pituitary gland." (end of quote from Lowe site)

My TSH didn't start out low, though. I think it is just low because I am taking T3. I had never heard of central hypothyroidism, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Thank you all for your replies.