My Twy has a fractured sacrum, need good energy please

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

It snowed here Sat and decided to let the girls run free while we were out playing in the snow, I was taking pictures and working on my ditch when one of my nieghbors came up the road and they love to chase him so off they went.

He went to the end of the road and turned around and came back and stopped to chat for a minute, I thought is was odd that the girls didn't follow him back, but was trying to finish up my ditch stuff and went back to work.

A few minutes later Missy came to me with a bloody paw so I came in, Twy was already on the porch, I did not see her because I was focused on Missy's paw. It was a small cut and she is fine.

After I fix her up I went to look for Twy who was under my bed panting hard. I got her out and she couldn't jump on the bed and had a hard time walking and her tail didn't work.

I couldn't figure out how she got hurt,her belly was a little red but no other marks. The vet said she was hit by a car, so my nieghbor must have clipped her when he turned around. I don't think he knew he had done it. He has a tall truck, Twy is white and we had several inches of snow.

I spoke to him yesterday, he is one of the few people up here that has helped me with things I can't do and doesn't charge me. But I did tell him he owes me some more "free" work, he agreeed.

I babied her Sat and Sun and just kept a close eye on her and took her to my vet yestersay.

He xrayed her and her sacrum is fractured but not displaced so he expects a full recovery as long as I keep her still and quiet for a few weeks. Her left hind leg has nuero damage and her tail if affected too.

Now that is a challenge. Missy already tried to get her to play last night and it will be hard to keep her down after the worst of the pain has passed, but it will take 4-6 weeks to heal.

I have to take her out and watch her potty everytime to see if her tail works and protect her in case a car or 4 wheeler goes by, she will take off and run to the end of her leash, it happened yesterday with me standing right there.

So please send positive thoughts and prayers for her to heal quickly and for me to have patience in dealing with keeping Missy from wanting to play romper room,lol.

I need the rest so maybe this was god's way of making me slow down, so I am going to listen. Thanks for being the supportive people and animal lovers that you are. Carla
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I see Twyla bounding back to good health after a time of rest.

And speaking of rest, the Universe does have a way of getting out attention if we don't listen to the whisper..... ;>)

Hugs to all three of you,

P.S. Did they have to "shorten" her tail??
  3. laceymae

laceymae New Member

on your plate lately.

Not quite sure how to keep a dog still...take notes so you can pass them along.

Passing on positive thoughts and some extra prayers for you both.

Was the fog bad there this morning? It still hasn't lifted here and it is 11:37 am. It is supossed to be sunny today. Not sure if it will make an apperance or not.

4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Poor baby, i hope Twyla heals well, keeping her quite will be a challenge.
    I bet your neighbor felt bad about it. White dog in the snow, that's a tuff one!

I ran over one of our own dogs several years back, she died in my lap. Talk about feeling guilty and upset!! My youngest son was with me, and he brings it up at different times it was hard for him too.

He saw her sleeping under the car, (i didn't, she was small), but, as only a five year old at the time, never thought about telling his mom.
    poor kid.

Anyways, hoping she heals up just fine for you.

What ever happened to the mini-pony that had that adorable baby??

5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

for both you and Twy. I've experienced something similar when my lab was young. It was very hard on everyone.

You have had so much going on lately. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you because it is going to be a tough time.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear of Twila's injury. I know you will do you utmost to help her. I'm sure it will be very difficult to get her to take it easy.

7. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow,,,we just never know what's going to happen with our pets!,,,,,I'll pray for Twilas speedy recovery!,,,,,i Bet she will love the extra Mom attention from you!,,,,poor girl!,,,,,i'm glad it's something that will heal up!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,Sis
  8. jole

jole Member

This must be so hard for you. I know how much your girls mean to you, and how busy you keep yourself. Yes, just take it easy with'll be good for both of you!!
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I hope she is on the mend real soon!!!

10. ckball

ckball New Member

That is what I love about this place, everyone is always so supportive and caring even when they are in there own pain.

MSS -I can't imagine how you must have felt when you ran over your dog, you know it was a accident but it doesn't make it it any easier.

I had a freind that killed her cat, the cat was asleep under the hood and she she started her car, well you know. That was years ago when the fans weren't so enclosed.

Thank you Marta, Lacey, Molly, Dar, Jole, Mickey and I know I am forgetting someone, my mind is not working.

Twy has been quiet today, she stayed under my bed most the morning, then I heard her whimper and had to help her out from under the bed so she could go potty. She did move her tail some, so that is a good sign. Thanks again for your caring support-Carla
  11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm so-o-o-o sorry about your boo-boo! With a Mama as good

as your Mama, you will up and about very soon. Just relax

for now and take a "'lil paws in the action". The squirrels

will wait for you to play!

12. painterZ

painterZ New Member

I hope Twyla is feeling better soon. It's always hard to have a sick or hurt animal or child, you just want to fix it for them.

Warm thoughts to everyone.

13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your Twy's accident.

Now please have that friendly neighbor do your ditch work for you so you both can get some rest!!!!!!

14. ckball

ckball New Member

Thank you all for your support words. This is going to be a true test of paitence...for me.

Twy still can't raise her tail to potty, just the tip which is a good sign. She has always been a independant girl but now has to be by my side all the time.

If I get up and go to another room for a miniute, she whines for me to come back. I also have to pick her up to put her on the couch, chair or the bed.

She only weighs 26 pounds but after spending all my time in the ditch my back is not happy.

Thanks Sisland, Rock, Nancy, painterz and now I have already forgot. You would think you could remember a handful of names for more than a few minutes. Keep us in your prayers please, mom is tired already after one day. Carla
  15. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Carla, I'm so sorry for Twy! That poor girl and her momma.....I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts for a quick recovery. Your neighbor must have just felt horrible!

Give Twy a kiss and a hug from me and tell her it will only be for a short time and then she can be out running around again.
  16. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Carla, I just posted you on the porch and had no idea that was why you wanted me and Sweetie to watch Missy for you. I am so sorry about Twy but am so glad that it is not bad, bad. I wish I could really in real life watch Missy for you so Twy can have some peace and quiet.

I will keep you in my prayers and pray that Twy gets some rest so she can get better.
  17. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I'm "Karla with a K" I always have to tell people before they write it down!

Sorry your pup got hurt, I am a HUGE animal lover. My aussie/border collie tore her cruciate ligament in her knee several yrs ago which required surgery.

I had to keep her in a large crate and take her out only on a leash for a few months. At first I had to use a towel as a support under her belly to keep the weight off of her leg.

She even had a cast for a couple of wks. It was very difficult. Luckily I'm a SAHM (for humans and animals) so I was able to care for her. I'll do anything for my pets, they're my best friends.

She always had the tendency to bolt and run like a bat out of he!!, and that's how she tore it. Anyway, she healed perfectly with time and lots of love. She's now 13 and getting pretty slow and gimpy like me....we're a good match:)

Take care of each'll both be fine eventually. Bailey sends her love too...woof!!!
  18. ckball

ckball New Member

I appreciate your support.

Hey Hermitlady-I haven't seen you out for awhile and I really appreciate you posting. I am glad your Bailey got better. Twy is a runner, I have clocked her at 30 mph when she use to chase me down the road.

I have been using the leash since last summer and she doesn't get a chance to do it on her own. But I let her when we go down hill with the golf cart.

She has been eating and potty but she yelp once when I went to pick her up to put her on the couch. Her "cage" is under my bed, Missy won't fit under there :)

Thank you Mickey and Monica I know what your furbies mean to you too. One day at a time-Caral
  19. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

that I haven't written you sooner. Ihave been so busy. I did finally leave you a messagae on the porch today. Hope TWY is doing better. I know how much she means to you.

Yes, both you and the girls need to slow down (-: !! Now how do you do that ?? LOL

Rember REST, REST, REST - I am now hypnotizing you girl.