My underwear are driving me crazy...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I cannot figure this out....first, jeans were bugging me and I only wear them when I leave the house...otherwise it is yoga pants or pj pants....

then, my bra started to drive me over the edge so I wear tanks with a shelf bra and tough out the bra, again, when I leave the house....

now, my underwear are making me crazy....i used to be a thong girl....(can't even imagine that anymore), then switched to bikini's.....and now, I am on the threshold of briefs....i have ordered 3 different styles and fabrics and they are making me NUTS!

I can just feel them squeezing me and shifting and just making me CRAZY!!!!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD UNDERWEAR SUGGESTIONS? A GOOD BRAND???? OR A GOOD FABRIC????? and i am zeroing in on chicks please....although, maybe I should get some boxers or something!

i am going to be going commando style next....
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

When I can get them, for me it's the french high cut style, all cotton. I've never liked the regular brief style. I get them big enough so they really don't bug me. Like a size bigger.

Bras are my big problem. I can't find any that fit well or that do it right. Like I got one from Walmart that is comfy, but it doesn't hold you up enough. None of them do. Or if they do, then they are too small and push the flesh in all the wrong directions. I'm totally miserable there.
  3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I know where you are coming from! I wasted a ton of money on bralettes...or like a sport bra with spaghetti NOT supportive enough! the best for me is victoria's secret t shirt bras for my girls, I mean....not best for me and my clothing revulsion....

i think i will try the french cut briefs...they are high cut on the legs, right? and do you like the hanes or fruit of the looms brands? or do you find them somewhere else in a special brand?

i got a pair of karen neuburger unders and LOVED them!!!! she is a nightgown designer...her nightgowns are soooo daughter got one for christmas so i checked out the website and found these unders...WELL! they were low in stock for my size so I checked all over the internet and they are GONE in my size....and they are discontinuing them....WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

my daughter even complimented me on them when i was changing clothes...i mean, really! how often do you get underwear compliments? they are very flattering and super soft and so discontinued....

they is definately a gap between teeny panties and granny panties....meaning there isn't much for us 40 yr olds....i am going through a identity crisis with my hair and now my underwear? what next??? i am going gray and wearing oddly fitting underwear that are bugging me....nothing is right anymore!

thanks for the french cut suggestion!
  4. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

a torture device dating back to the Dark Ages, invented by men, that involves wrapping the body in steel wires , poking the skin if said wires break loose, causing irritation and rash in unspeakable places

the very application of this device is part of the torture, by twisting the torso to hook the hooks: back spasms and the incompacitating "throwing the back out" can occur....

someother possible uses: a crumb catcher, a storage place, and a surprisingly effective item for shooting across the room for folly.....

aussie, thanks for the recommendation!
  5. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

how do the sizes run? i found them classic and french cut brief....and the sizes were 8 9 and 10...

that is also a problem when shopping can't crack open a pack and hold them up in the air....

i wear a medium in comfortable pants and an 8 or 10 in pants/jeans....what would you recommend ? 8 9 or 10?
  6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I get Just My Size brand. They call them Hi Cuts. You need to go by your measurments and then I get a size bigger, especially because they shrink when you wash them.

My favorite and best fitting bras were the Vasserette ones with the criss cross in front. They discontinued them. They always fit me best.
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It sounds like you are buying the wrong size of bra, and possibly the wrong style for your body shape. The next time you go bra shopping, get a fitter to measure you and to help you pick out the right bra. Also, have her check the bra on you so that she can make sure that it fits properly. It really does make a huge difference.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I recently switched over to Denver Hayes underwear. They are a good fit, good quality, and decent price. I buy them at Mark's Work Warehouse in Canada.
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have always loved jockey, too, but I did actually buy several pairs a little over a yr and a half ago that had somethign wrong with the elastic - I seriously wore them 2 or 3 times and they were shot, bought a few more pairs, thinking it was just a weird batch for whatever reason (been wearing the same brand since high school and never had problems with them before)....anyway, the same thing happened with the new bunch.....switched brands and they didn't last long either, so I went back to Jockey and the most recent bunch has been I have no idea what was going on (same size, same cut - bikini style).....anyway, I am just happy that the newest ones seem ok to size, it might make a difference bc I like the bikinis and you are talking about other cuts, but I generally wear the same clothing size as you, and, I get the underwear in 7's (they are a little big that way, but not huge and much more comfy)....anything tight drives me nuts anymore, too....I agree, thoguh, that if you can actually try them on that would be good......I know that Kohl's and JC Penney's carry them (& Kohl's is always having sales)

and the whole bra issue - ugh.....used to love Victoria's Secret Body by Victoria unlined; they changed them and now the stitching feels like it is scratching me, so I cannot wear them.....and there are almost no bras out there that fit me rt otherwise (except sport bras and those are NOT comfy for anything other than exercise)......wound up switching to the VS cotton demis, but they do not last at all, and the last couple of catalogs say that they have changed those, too, so I am really worried that they are not going to work for me anymore either
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

Full-cut cotton briefs. Yes, I wear the granny panties! LOL That way I don't have to worry about them shifting to the wrong places. It drives me crazy, too, if my panties do not fit properly. I also have to have cotton--they are cooler, the material can "breathe", and are much better for you, supposedly.

I also buy them one size larger to allow for shrinkage when you wash and dry them. And .... I buy the elastic waist, but can not stand elastic around the legs!! I have to buy the legs with the cotton band! Oh, they are heaven!

I also buy a good brand. The Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, or any Wal-Mart type brand aren't fit to wear, in my opinion. They won't last, they shrink more than other brands, etc. As my mother always told me ... you get what you pay for. So, I always buy a good brand and they last for years and years.

The Bra! Ugh! I am large busted, so I can't go without. For 30+ long years, when I worked, I had to wear a good-fitting, well-supporting, bra. Of course, they were uncomfortable. Now that I am retired. all I wear around the house are those "sleep bras" that are all cotton and snap in the front. They don't offer much support, but they are also heavenly--I can't even feel them that I have them on! I order them from Woman Within or Roaman's catalogs (online) and will never buy anything else. The only time that I now wear a "real" bra is when I go out of the house to a doctor, etc.--which is rarely!

And .... along with the comfy panties and bra, all I wear around the house are long, cotton, loungers. I don't know if they are supposed to be housecoats, or moo-moo's, or what, but they come in some wild fabrics and are so very comfy, too! I also order those out of Woman Within and/or Roaman's catalogs--but I order them through their website online. They come in sizes Medium thru a woman's 5X -- so there is a size for everyone!!!

After I retired and then became wheelchair bound, I went out for comfort only!! I dressed up for the corporate world for way too long, and I'm really loving this "dress for comfort" phase I am in!! LOL
  11. mmztcass

mmztcass New Member

the granny underwear and the tank tops since I can't wear bras too well.

12. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

start a clothing line for people who want all cotton, comfy loungewear.....

also, there should be a movement for pants that are cut wider in the waist than the hips for those of us who are getting a bit of tummy, yet still have skinny legs....i mean, there are apple bottom jeans and jeans with the waist cut smaller to avoid the gap in the back for women with little waists and wider hips and thighs..what about the apple shaped woman?..i have already had someone tell me those would be called maternity pants....eek! i don't want to shop in the maternity section for a tiny roll around the middle...but man, it throws things off....

i tried the snap front comfy sleep bra or lounge bra but bought them too big and just pushed them to the back of the drawer....i can totally see if they were the right size, they would be comfy....

so the jockey for women run a little large is really tricky finding the right size in underwear because the siazes are all over the place!

oh, another thing i wanted to mention is i found the nicest socks but of course they are $$$$....wigwam socks ....they are so puffy...not the white ones but the gray with black on ways "out---"something like outlast or out? on the foot....they are about $9 each but so fat and cushiony....i think they are for men....

also, i have been buying my sons gold toe white socks from penneys and after you wash them they puff up and get really , really soft!

i pad around the house in my Earth Shoes brand slides....that have straps that adjust with velcro to accommodate my sock width....i look rediculous BUT! those Earth shoes are great because they give my legs and butt a little workout and i don't even notice! i have worn them all summer, everyday, and now everytime i get out of my bed....

that brand of shoe has been around since the 70's and is supposed to help with your posture and back problems....i have noticed that back of my thighs and my butt are more toned and i don't do exercise.....

love this thread ladies! so many great suggestions!

13. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

OMG - I am loving this post! It's giving me my morning smile!!! I'm a thong girl, always have been...even when i was 9 months pregnant with my 11.5 lb baby - you couldn't even FIND my underwear! BUT, it's the kind of thong that is important. Some have 'thicker' backs, some thinner and that makes a difference. They don't move at all. I can't even tell they're on. (I'm well over 40 by the way) I have tried my regular bottom underwear (have one pair) and can't stand a panty line or the full line feeling. It makes me CRAZY.

Check out Victoria's Secret Online - they have TONS of different kinds and see if there is anything you see. They are always having specials with free shipping. You can check them out, if you don't like them, ship them back with no cost.
    Definitely let me know what you find!
  14. kat211

kat211 New Member

I haven't been able to wear a bra on a regular basis for more than 13 years. I have found that using a shape wear tank top has helped. It is firm enough to provide a bit of support, but doesn't have a single strap of pressure. I can't handle a tank with a shelf bra because the pressure is too much for me. I also only wear underpants that have cotton covered bands, jockey I think. If I can find organic under garments I always try to go with them rather than non-organic.
  15. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I was loll ing all over when I read your funny!!!

I also HATE wearing a bra and only do so if I really HAVE to go out.The feel as tho I am being strangled and cant breathe in them.I suffer from costochondritis too(pain in chest which feels like a heart attack)so I dont bother with bras.
    My underwear is the bikini type cos I cannot bear anything around my waist.My stomach swells up and it is painful.
    If it was up to me I would go starkers but the family would not like it and it is freezing here in the UK lol.

I have a lot of problems with clothing and materials so I go for anything fluffy!!!!!

Mabe we should ALL go knickerless????

16. Chelz

Chelz New Member

When I was reading your post, I just had to smile and laugh, even though I do know it is frustrating to say the least. I HATE UNDERWEAR AND BRAS. I have been on a mission to find a good pair of underwear that doesn't bind me, squeez me or just plain make me feel miserable.

A few years ago back in 2008, I found a brand of underwear called "Enchanted" at a Fashion Bug clothing store, I LOVED THEM. They were the Hi cut style and it was 95% cotton with 5% spandex. I only bought 1 pair at the time because I have such a problem finding good underwear that I didn't want to commit to buying a lot of them. They were fabulous, I went back and bought more.

The problem is, I think the underwear brand has changed the manufacturer because when I went to purchase more, the underwear did not fit the way it did a few years ago. Also, they came out with other styles that had lace, and I just can not do lace, LOL. It was only a few years back, but clothing stores are always changing their merchandise, so now I am on a hunt. My sister says Jockey is good, so maybe I will try those out, but I'm not getting excited about it yet. Hugs, Chelz.
  17. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Your post was too funny :) Yes, Jockey for women, my sister swears by them, but I do not like 100% cotton, it is too restrictive for me, I like a little bit of spandex in there so it can move with my behind and hips, LOL. "Bras" HATE THEM, HATE THEM, lol. My age: 44 and counting. Hugs, Chelz.
  18. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Is anyone as old as me to remember "Lollipop" girls underwear? All cotton - man they were comfy!

As far as bras go - they make nice hammocks for the cat, or you could hang them in your bathroom and put cotton balls, or cosmetics in them. They really have all kinds of uses!
  19. spongebobmama

spongebobmama New Member

Underwear is the most mind boggling.I too can't wear bras and now my underpants are killing me in the groin area.I did find shelf bras are ok but I am too big up there and have to buy a larger size and sew them in other areas to fit me right.Travelsmith has a camisole with a bra built in and I buy the ones with the high neck so I don't have my boobs hanging out. I am a modest person.
  20. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Sorry Pink but your post did make me giggle a little:) Only because I can totally relate. I too have switched to tanks with the shelf bra...or braless with layers so I'm not a human thermostat if you get my point. Everything I wear now is loose and I am not ashamed anymore to go to the store in my jammie pants. As far as the undies go....I am in what my daughter would refer to as granny panties.

I also do better with cotton instead of synthetics.