my underwear is shrinking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mommy22, Aug 28, 2005.

1. mommy22

mommy22 New Member

As with most of you, most of my meds read, as a side effect, "increased appetite or weight gain". I have been eating pretty happy this summer. What else do i do home everyday w/two kids? Monthly visits to the dr. haven't shown any big weight gain so, when my underwear quit fitting, i knew they were shrinking. I figured i had the washer on hot. Nope, not that. Probably have the dryer on high. Nope, not that either. Every time i go to bed or get dressed, i struggle getting them to cover all the areas. I am seriously trying to find out why my underwear is shrinking!! As a last resort, i pull out my ugly, emergency pair from the back of the drawer. They have not been worn in months and not effected by whatever evil is shrinking the others. They don't fit either! This is a true story...i finally come to the realization that my rear end is growing! I can do nothing but laugh at myself. Now i'm off to Walmart to get some new underwear and an exercise video. I wouldn't want to share this story, but thought some of you could relate to the amazing side effects of the meds. Yeah, that's it, it's the meds!
  2. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

Thankfully, my underwear has been stretching with me (at least so far), but I can see that it's starting to get tired of over-extending itself...

I probably need to take that trip to WalMart, too. I swear I've been eating correctly (more or less), but in the past two or three months I've gained 10 lbs. Yuck! I'm small too, so things don't fit quite so comfortably anymore....

Shucks. It's such a shame that these little pills that help me feel comfortable making telephone calls, meeting new people and generally worry less have this little side effect: weight gain.

I try to laugh at myself, but I'm rather unhappy about the situation.

SingFMAway
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

they just don't make underwear like they used to. A few washes and they're way too small. :) I notice that they don't make jeans or bras the way they used to either.

Pepper
  4. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I would love to blame it on the meds - but I've been eating, and eating... A lot of my other clothes are getting too tight around the belly. I haven't gained over 5 lbs, but feel like I've gained 20! What's up with that??
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My theory is that there is an evil pixie that sneaks in at night and changes my cloths for smaller sizes. I haven't been able to catch them yet, but when I do, they are toast!

Oh, toast, sounds good!

I lost over 50 lbs on Atkins and have kept most of it off. Went from an 18/20 to a 10/12 doing Atkins and an exercise program. Now the 10's are getting a little snug because I haven't been able to exersise. Or because the pixies have been at it again!

Since all the fruits and veggies are so good right now and the prices are pretty low at the fruit stands, I am eating just fruit and veggies for a couple weeks. Can't stay on Atkins this time of year, just too many good fruits out there calling to me!

Hugzz and good luck with the pixies!
    Greenbean
  6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

That same pixie visited me about 6 months ago when the dr gave me a different med. I got angry at that thing & gave her the boot!

I started my own - watchin' my carbs - plan and now my husband just asked how women can wear their underwear so baggy:) I told him that I have been to cheap to buy new ones yet.

Kick that darn pixie out!! hee hee
    Kelly
  7. learning2live

learning2live New Member

Saoirse3,

I have tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard at your last post. Too Funny!!

I think the pixie has been switching MY clothes too! Since Hubby is the one with new meds, I don't think I can say it was the meds. ;)
  8. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I am laughing so hard that people would think I am strange! I've got to call my friend! ha ha ha ha ha

Kelly
  9. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

but I can't.

Unfortunately, mine is also showing up on the scales. I've gained about 25 pounds in the last 18 months.

I had lost about 20 pounds, doing lo-carb, and kept it off for about 2 years... sad thing is, when I tried to start adding some grains and other complex carbs back in, I wasn't able to do it in a very productive manner, and almost totally fell off the lo-carb wagon! I still don't eat many foods made with white flour, but at this point, that's about all I'm avoiding!

I know I feel better when I limit my diet to meats and lots of veggies and fruits, but when I start eating the other things - its like I can't stop.

I have to get things back in hand though. I can't continue to gain weight like this!

10. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I too dropped 45lbs on the atkins diet about 2 years ago now. It took me a full year to get down to my 12's.... I am now back up to 14/16 and it is very frustrating.

And here we are starring the holidays square in the eye...argh!

I am pulling my atkins plans back out.. in 2 weeks I can drop 10 to 15 lbs. That should make me feel better about myself.
  11. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

Well I think all of you are great but if you want to lose the "pixie" come to Britain!
    The Drs over here are that far behind on the med scale, you couldn't possibly put any weight on, I mean the "pixies" would vanish!!
    I've only been prescribed 2 different drugs so far, well unless you call the clinical trial I am on 3!!
    If you don't want the extra pounds I'll have them.
    LOL to you all Sandra
  12. RioRita1717

RioRita1717 New Member

Hello All,

Suffice it to say, I can TOTALLY relate!! I thought I'd post this, though, now that I'm somewhat under control from laughing so hard, to mention a medication that I found was MY culprit for the, um, excess flesh problem. Anyone on YASMIN that is having this problem????? This is one of the horrible side effects and I am currently recovering from having been on it for only 6 months. Worth taking a look at. I thought I was pregnant I was so bloated but think I'm too old(48).

Just a thought....any excuse is better than NO excuse, right?

PS - I've also started working with a nutritionist and she's helped A LOT for the FM as well as the b/c detoxing.

RioRita
  13. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I was so proud of the 27 lbs. I lost 2 1/2 yrs. ago even if I was sick as a dog. Gradually, it has allllll come back!!! I excuse myself by saying that I am on Gabapentin! Of course, I eat Lean Cuisine at noon, then at supper (that is what we call it in IN) I have 3 slices of "healthy" whole wheat bread (with jelly or peanut butter).

Before I go to bed and have to have a snack with bedtime meds.what do I eat????? A bowl of ice cream!

When we go grocery shopping 50 mi. away, we eat lunch at Olive Garden - it is a healthy lunch. But as a treat on the way home, I have a Steak N Shake mocha chocolate milk shake./

So, is it the fault of the meds. or me?????? I plead quilty!!!

Gentle Hugs

(Yes, my underwear does fit)
  14. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

I blame it on the meds, our slow lifestyle we tend to eat more cause it doesn't hurt. Our Teeth and mouth to chew the food up..LOLOL...