my urine smells sweet??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by SPR30, Jun 3, 2006.

1. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I know this may sound strange, but my urine has no urine type odor. For a while it smelled like chicken soup, now (for several months) it's sweet. Not an unpleasant odor at all. When I sweat I smell sweet too.

Odd....I also shiver cold and get soaked with sweat at the same time.
    I was told that I have mild hypothyroidism (not being treated for it).

When I was in the hospital recently (for unrelated reason)
    the nurse said I was probably diabetic.

I have gained about 60lbs in the past few years and have mentioned these things to doctor.
    Any ideas????
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You should have your blood sugar checked - again, if you've had it done in the past.

I suppose it's better than after we eat asparagus!

Marta
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

....you really need to have a Urinalysis done.

Sweet or fruity odor can be due to Diabetic Ketoacidosis. I would not put of seeing your physician for too long if I were you.

I have put a few sites for information below.

Best of luck to you,

Karen

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/diabetic_ketoacidosis/article_em.htm

Please goto medlineplus to read entire article below.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000320.htm

People with diabetes lack sufficient insulin, a hormone the body uses to process glucose (a simple sugar) for energy. When glucose is not available, body fat is broken down instead.

The by-products of fat metabolism are ketones. When fat is metabolized, ketones build up in the blood and "spill" over into the urine. A condition called ketoacidosis develops when the blood becomes more acidic than body tissues.

Blood glucose levels become elevated (usually higher than 300 mg/dL) because the liver produces glucose to try to combat the problem and because cells cannot take up that glucose without insulin.

Diabetic ketoacidosis may lead to the initial diagnosis of type 1 diabetes, as it is often the first symptom that causes the person to come to medical attention.

It can also be the result of increased insulin needs in someone already diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Infection, trauma, heart attack, or surgery can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis in such cases.

People with type 2 diabetes usually develop ketoacidosis only under conditions of severe stress. Poor compliance with diet and treatment is usually the cause when episodes are recurrent.

[This Message was Edited on 06/03/2006]
  4. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I wnet into dka 10 months ago and it landed me in icu for 5 days. You can buy keto sticks at the drug stores. Get it chekced out NOW!!
  5. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I will tell my doc. If it's dka what other symptoms would I have?
  6. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I wanted to say your kitty is gorgeous!
  7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

He is my life and just spent $1200.00 on him at the vet. He has kidney disfunction and heart disease. He is my constant companion.

Now....If you have diabetes, YOu will experiance extreme thirst, very frequent urination, and fatigue. If your burning ketones, you may also feel nausia, and vomiting.
    The smell is usually similar to the scent of nail polish remover ( which is actually kind of what your body is crating while burning ketones). All type ones will burn ketones if the sugars get too high, and some type twos will if they are ill and dehydrated. Hope this helps a little.

get it checked out....PRONTO.
    By the way....some say the scent is like some one who is drunk. Not a bad odor....just kind of sweet. Some times people are mistakenly thought to be drunk by the smell.[This Message was Edited on 06/03/2006]
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I, too, agree with everyone else!

You need to be checked for diabetes as well as have another urinalysis and/or urine culture done.
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

for diabetes. I have been a type 2 for 29 years. Right now I'm having a low from too much insulin and my body can't do anything about it, so I'm having to drink a Coke with sugar--hate the taste of it.

I hope you don't have diabetes, but if you do, the sooner it is treated, the better you will feel. Also get your thyroid checked and if your TSH is over 3, you could probably do with a small amount of thyroid hormone.

I have hypothyroidism since I was 9 years old. I'm 56 now.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I'm going through nursing school to become a registered nurse, and you have the classic signs of diabetes.

PLEASE get this check ASAP! High sugar levels in the body causes a whole lot of problems!

Take care and keep us updated!

11. ohmygoodness

ohmygoodness New Member

Get it checked now. My husband, who was supposed to be a type 2 while in the service worked on it with exercise and diet. Then after retiring he lost plenty of weight, always to the restroom, sweet breath, sweet urine, ravenous appetite for a year (looked like he was in a prison camp thin). Made me go to a diabetes convention and I asked the question and they all told me that man needs to see a doctor it is obviously not a diabetes that can be controlled with diet and exercise! He was close to 500! His eyesight was almost severly affected, he has had laser surgery for vessel leaks. He had neuropathy, He lost teeth. Now he is on a pump with insulin. Insulin dependent diabetes is not necessarily for overweight diabetics. Hope that you get your answers fast. I have recently had itchy, burning, numb, tingling etc feet. Since I have all the equipment here I checked my fasting and revisted my doc with last year's blood tests to be sure I was definitely under 100, way under.