My Visit To A New Rheumatologist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Mar 29, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

I just love this guy!!!!!!

I am dumping my old rheumy that I have had for the last 10 years or so, who has done diddly-squat for me.

All the old doc would tell me was to exercise, exercise, exercise, and lose weight. Well, I'm sorry I can't exercise, I would tell him. My weight puts too much pressure on my back problems--especially my pinched nerve, and my arthritic and osteoporodic hips and knees, etc. I try to lose weight, but I just can't--because I can't exercise!!

Anyway .... this new guy is FANTASTIC!!! So caring, so compassionate, so understanding, and young and good looking to boot!!! LOL

He took all the time in the world with me for me to explain all of my problems, listened to examples of how I can no longer function during the day, and how my quality of life has deteriated down to nothing.

He gave me a very thorough exam--unlike my old rheumy. He even said it sounded as if I had a miserable quality of life. He was so right on!

He has ordered a lot of blood work to check on the status of my lupus and said we would work on other issues as the time goes on to help get me straightened up.

I had a shot of cortizone in my bad knee in January but it hasn't helped. He mentioned this series of 3 shots of some type of lubricating gel that is shot in my knee. Has anyone else had that? You can't have it if you are allergic to egg whites. He is checking to see if my insurance will pay for it because it is very expensive.

I didn't mention my fibro when I first went in--I just mentioned my lupus, arthritis all over my body, my osteoporosis, and the back problems. (Well, I did have to tell him about my heart problems and diabetes, too.)

Towards the end of the visit, I told him that I hesitated to mention to him that I also had fibro, because so many doctors did not believe in it and didn't want him to judge me first for saying I had fibro.

His comments were ... "Well, fibro IS REAL!!!! VERY REAL!!!" Then we had a little conversation about fibro and how it was also affecting me! But WOW, he believes in it!!! How great!!! Like I said, I love this guy!! LOL

At the end, he said that he thought was of my biggest problems was that I had sooooo many health problems that caused pain that it was hard to identify what was my biggest problem!

It said he thought my pain was not properly controlled!!! (He really made this observation--I could not believe it!!)

He said the Lortab that I was taking for my back pain was only controlling the pain for a short time when I took it. I only tried to take 1 a day--sometimes I had to take 2 a day. I did not want to walk around sleepy all the time or spaced out, so I didn't take a whole lot of them.

He said I need a slow-released, around-the-clock type of pain control. So, he prescribed the Duragesic (fentanyl) pain patch. He gave me the lowest dose available (12 mg) that I wear for 3 days at a time.

I go back in one month for a checkup to see how it is doing and to get the results of the blood work.

I'm on the second day of the patch, and it HAS helped some of my overall pain. I am not walking around sleepy either! However, it has not totally ELIMINATED my pain--just helped it--which is a big improvement.

I don't think I will ever find anything to help the pain that this pinched sciatia nerve in my back is causing.

But ... so far, so good!

BTW, I fell out of my computer chair today! I bent over to pick up a pen off the floor, and it flipped out from under me on this slick mat that it sits on! I fell on my right shoulder (which is hurting now) and twisted my bad knee, and the chair fell sideways and hit me on the head!

Oh, I forgot ... the new doc also told me to take prescription strength of Folic Acid (1 mg vs. the 400 mcg of the OTC). He said all heart patients should be taking that much.

Gotta go,

Love,
    Janet
  2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Sorry to hear about the fall. It sounds as if you have found one of the good docs that are out there, a keeper.

Good luck with the new doc and hope he can help to make things better for you.

Jake
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Your new doc sounds like a "keeper"....I'm so glad you found a doc you can begin to work with.

I'm sorry you fell, I guess I'm lucky cause I can pick stuff up with my toes when I need to. Saves me a ton of bending down.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Nancy B.
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

You hit the jackpot with this new doctor. Great good for you.We need more like him.

Sorry about your fall.Hope you feel better

Sue
  5. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I am so glad you found a great doctor!

My dh has osteoarthritis in his knees down to bone on bone! Ouch!

He had the series of shots, I think it is called Hyalgan, once a year for a few years and they really helped him.

I hope you get to try them, my dh actually had to fight blue cross for approval. I think he told someone if they didn't approve it they were going to pay for a replacement!

I hope you get your pain under control and then maybe exercise will make you feel good. Good Luck.

Sue
  6. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I am so glad that you found a good dr. out there. I am so fortunate that I also have a great rheumy. I would like to know how the patch is working for you after a month or so. The last time I changed pain relief I went on Oxycontin

which I know can be addicting. I will admit that I had to have it increased from 10mg in the am to 20mg, and also take 10mg at night. I don't think this is alot, but already think it needs to increase again, as it has somewhat become

ineffective. I am curious as to a new med. Please keep us informed on how this med. works for you. GOOD LUCK!! I can't even imagine having to live with the problems you have. Thanks for the input.

PIRT
  7. Retethetreat

Retethetreat New Member

Try looking at Immune support.com they have alot of new meds listed and is a good site
  8. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Good for you. I also have a good rheumy. He is really good about trying to keep me as pain free as he can.
    But I don't believe I could ever be pain free.
    (((( cathugs))))) Ruth
  9. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

HELLO I HAVE SEVER PAIN ALL OVER AND CAN NOT FIND A DOC TO TREAT ME RIGHT GOOD FOR YOU I'M GLADE YOU FOUND SOME ONE WHO BELIEVE CAUSE YOUR RIGHT THEY DON'T BELIEVE ARE THEIR SCARED TO TREAT YOU
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

He sounds great. Love Anne C
  11. elsa

elsa New Member

Except for that chair thing of course!

I truly believe 1/2 the battle of getting better is finding a doctor who will be your partner and one who you have faith in. Their knowledge / intelligence matters a great deal too!

Looks like the old doc needs to go back to school and the new one is working on giving you your life back. How Great !!!

Good for you Janet!

Elsa
  12. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Janet:
    You are a lucky gal. I have a rheumatologist just like him.
    (The luck of the draw).

n.f.