my vitamin d difficulty

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by freida, Jan 21, 2014.

1. freida

freida Active Member

HI all,

My level is very low, and none of the oral ones have raised it any.

Also, and more importantly, since i need to up the dosage,
    I have tried various forms, and all of them irritate my sensitive bladder, causing acute pain.

Yet, i know i need the vitamin d.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!

Leah
  2. joanierav

joanierav Member

hi leah.

so good to see you again. from this board i learned how important vitamin D is. and so i asked my doctor to check me for it, and sure enough it was very low. i think it was 20. she wrote me a script for 10,000 IU's. it is nothing more than a gel cap just like the ones you buy. i was to take it for 10 days. then she decreased me to 2,000. i felt wonderful on the 10,000, i didnt expect that, i was so happy . but it was short lived as when she decreased me , i no longer felt that wellness.

that was two yrs ago. on my own i increased myself up to 4,000. im wondering if i can go up to 5,000. you reminded me leah, that i need to have it checked again. if it is still low, i will increase it.

maybe when you get your D up, this will end some of your problems. please god. everything i read says , the D is so important for us. my biggest problem is the CFS. i also have CVID. common variable immune deficiency. that is a big pain in the neck, as i need the 6 hr infusions every month.

good luck dear, and see if your doc will prescribe the D over the phone, since you are almost homebound. when i first read the script, i was so afraid to take it. i said "10,000 OMG"!!! but it didnt bother me at all. and i am (along with several other ppl on here the queen of side effects). heres hoping it will work for you.

hugs, joanierav
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

New research about 2-3 yrs ago tells us that K2 needs to be taken with D3...so about 6 months ago I got very serious with K2 and daily take 5K D3 and K2.

I take DAILY, digestive enzymes, probiotics and DGL (stomach lining tamer).....so far so good with my gut....

Hope you can get those levels up Leah, very important...... glad you are back on the group. jam
  4. joanierav

joanierav Member

sorry, i forgot to mention that it was the D 3 calciferol. ( misspelled. ) i believe that she perscribed. the D 2 is called ergo. i believe. now hopefully someone else will join in, to tell us the difference here. i always take the 3 since thats what the board says to do. hehe joanie
  5. joanierav

joanierav Member

hi jan. what is K2? do you mean D2? thanks. joanie
  6. jaminhealth

D3 is more effective, in order for pharma to write scripts they need to write D2.....use up the D2 and get yourself D3 as it's best absorbed....

No I'm talking Vit K2 and I'm taking a supp called Vit K Complex which contains both K1 and K2....get it online....each softgel is 400mcg and one day I take 1 gel, the next day I take 2 softgels.... K2 is needed for best D absorption, this is the latest research.....I have access to quite a few integrative MD's in our town, and one lectures at our library and he lectured on K2 a couple years ago, but I didn't pay a lot of attention, but now I'm paying more attention.

I'd bet PH has Vit K too, you can probably check in their product section and read about it too.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  7. mbofov

mbofov Member

Hi Freida - welcome back! I have often wondered how you were doing.

Jam gave you some very good information. D3 is the best form of vitamin D so I would not try to get a doctor's prescription for D2. My levels went up a lot when I started taking D3 softgels. I had to take 10,000 UI for quite a while and now take 5,000 daily as maintenance.

There are liquid combo forms with both D3 and K2 in them which you might tolerate better than other forms you've tried. I also saw a Now brand spray liposomal version with both D3 and K2 which I think would be best absorbed and maybe easier on your bladder -- I think with the liposomal form it will bypass your digestive tract and go straight into your cells where it's needed.

Mary
  8. lea

lea Member

joanierav

How often did you take the 10,000 IU; and was it D3?
    thanks
    Best,
    Anne
  9. freida

freida Active Member

Hello,
    Thank you all very much.

I got a few good ideas from the helpful input on this.

I appreciate each one of you for writing it out for me!

Jam, and mary, and joanie, nice to see you again, too!

Anne, nice To meet you.

******* Do you people take the vit d with food? ******

I thought vit k could cause clotting, so have always been leary , not wanting to take an incorrect or not needed dose.
    Your input?

Leah
  10. IanH

IanH Active Member

freida: You are correct in saying that vitamin k1 is a clotting factor. However larger amounts of vitamin k1 or k2 do not promote clotting. However if you are on anti-coagulants then you should consult your doctor before taking additional vitamin K1 just as a precaution. The vitamin K that you should best take for assimilation and metabolism of vitamin D3 is Vitamin K2. (menaquinone4 and menaquinone7). For every 1000iu vitamin D take 100mcg (micrograms) of K2. However we have have found 1000mcg (1 milligram) to be safe. Most preparations come with both K1 and K2 together.

You should also take the following:
    magnesium 60mg (min) per 1000iu vitamin D
    zinc 5mg per 1000iu vitamin D
    boron (traces)
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  11. jaminhealth

Ian comes to the rescue...here is a link too on the D and K connection. I take my D & K after breakfast...

www.metaboliceffect.com/why-should-you-take-vit-k-with-your-vit-d/‎
    Oct 4, 2012 - Firstly, I feel it is important that one should always take vitamin K when supplementing with vitamin D. The only possible exception to not taking ...
  12. freida

freida Active Member

Ian, and jam, to the rescue. :)

Thank you, so very much.

I will use the info.

Btw, i wonder if it matters if you take them simultaneous or not,
    Meaning do i need to take all the things at the same time,
    That help eachother.
    Or if it works just as well, as long as you take them all in the same day, or same 24 hours,
    So they are in your system.

I like to take minerals toward end of day, for example, and vit d earlier in the Day.

Ian, Jam, anyone else, what are your thoughts on that.

If mag and k help the vit d absorbtion, does that hold true if they are taken some hours apart?

Thanks, again!

Leah
  13. jaminhealth

Leah, I take my D and K at the same time, after breakfast which some days is closer to noon...I eat a late breakfast as I sleep pretty late and not really hungry when I wake up....also I do drink an MSM drink after I get into the kitchen....so my tummy is full from that drink of MSM, water, aloe vera and a tad of tart cherry juice, fresh lemon and 4 drops of H202......

I take my mag all day, thru the day. jam
  14. cathytn6

cathytn6 Member

Leah, My Vitamin D was really low also. My doctor has me taking the Vit. D3, but, also, I try sitting out in the Sun three times a week. I had read that, soaking up the rays on your back, arms and face, was the most effective for Vit D absorption. It only needs to be for about 10-15 mins. each time.
  15. freida

freida Active Member

Thank you, Jam, for your good input.

And cathy, nice to meet you,
    And you gave me a much needed smile.......
    It is freeeeeeeeezing, here, and will be till about July,
    So i cannot take your terrific suggestion.
    The smile is well worthwile though!

Leah
  16. joanierav

joanierav Member

hi lea - anne. to answer your question , i took the 10,000 of D 3 for 10 days.

joanierav
  17. cathytn6

cathytn6 Member

Leah, HA! I figured it probably was cold where you are, unless you are lucky enough to live in one of the warmer states. It is like 2 degrees where I live. Anyways, maybe you can try this suggestion a little closer to Summer. :)
  18. jaminhealth

One has to spend a lot of time in the HIGH sun and hardly any clothing...when I was a beach nut, I would spend 5hrs plus in the sun and I've read over the years one can get 20,000 IU's of sun at a day at the beach in direct sun. I never had this issue or realized the deficiency until I truly came in from hours of sun in my late 40's...the cancer scare and just not feeling great sunning a lot anymore, and not wanting to age my skin anymore...the sun is good but keep levels up with supps....my opinion on it all.
  19. IanH

IanH Active Member

There is no doubt that sun exposure is the best way to raise vitamin D levels and of course there are probably other benefits to sun exposure that we do not know about yet. To help ensure you don't fall into a pattern of intermittent sun exposure ensure it is regular and graded, ie increased systematically to 20 minutes per day or 3/4 body exposure.

The problem for most is that the winter and even autumn and spring are not particularly warm so getting 10 to 20 minutes sun daily is near impossible. What happens is most people get very little sun until summer then get too much, increasing risk of melanoma. The key to solving this dilemma is to supplement throughout the cooler, low sun months and then get your sun in the summer months. The high vitamin D from the supplements (2000iu to 5000iu) decreases risk of melanoma when you do go into the sun. The other problem is that 3/4 body exposure can be impractical. It is also important to keep facial exposure down because when outside your face is always exposed (unless you wear a hat). Suumer sun exposure between 11am and 3pm is best (4pm if you have daylight saving).
  20. freida

freida Active Member

Thank you all, again!

Jam, and Ian, that was so interesting and informative, and makes sense to Me.

Cathy, nice to see you understood and shared my humorous reaction.

Here, nobody exposes their back, LOL.
    The only back i have seen in many years is my husbands. ;)

And it is rare to see anyone even 25% exposed, here.
    :)

Preventing frostbite and body heat loss, are more Common topics. ;)

However, seriously, that is very Good info.

Thanks,
    Leah