my vitamin D level 19 question about dose of vitamin D RX"D

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Sep 28, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi all I received a call today from my Dr "s. nurse and she said my vitamin D levels are very low which was 19. They have precribed Drisdol 50,000 IU one capsule every two weeks for 10 weeks and recheck levels. This seems like a really high dose to me and the nurse didnt know what the level should be, so im asking you all your opinions??? Thanks in advance for any responses to my post.and all that know me know that taking any kind of new meds give me anxiety and makes me very nervous.what are some of the kinds and doses you are taking and did it make any difference in how you felt?Why cant I just get out in the sun and get levels up or use my tanning bed just a few minutes a day or week? I would rather do that than more pills with possible side effects. all replys appreciated. Thanks and God bless Becky
  2. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

I take 5,000 units of D3 daily and my levels have increased from 6 to 48 in the last year. It's slowly getting better.

Take care!
  3. pat11

pat11 New Member

My vitamin d level was recently found to be 8. Dr ordered 50k twice a week. 2 weeks in I had d toxcisity. I had to stop taking the D and reduce my calcium intake to get better. I am now taking 5k of D3 and will be tested in two months.

One of things Dr. told me was there was a strong link to vit. D defecincy and fm, some cancers and cardiac desease. That really got my attention as I am currently going thru a slew of cardiac test ordered by my neurologist.

P.S. Dr. nurse told me she thought anything below 30 was considered low on vit. D
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

my levels were like 9. I take vitd3 2 to 3,000 iu aday. over the counter,the script was too expensive.

It made a world of difference especially with brainfog. wish I had known before making some serious mistakes! also helps with depression.

5. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi pat11, thanks for answering my post. How did you know you became toxic at the beginning of your teatment? What were your symptoms? I get retested in 2 months just to check to see if my levels are coming up.My vitamin d 50,000 iu cost $14.00 for 10 pills which i am to take 1 pill every 2 weeks.Is it better to take calcium supplements with the D or cut down on the calcium supplements? thanks Becky
  6. Elisa

Elisa Member

My levels were low too and I am very sensitive too - just like you. So start slow and gradually increase. Be certain it is D3 - not D2. There are many forms - pills, sprays, lotions, shots etc.

I couldn't tolerate pills -even at low low doses.

This is what I did - I take a spray Vit D3 (from Dr. Mercola) and use a safer tanning panel (also from Mercola - I'm not affiliated with him etc.) for 5 minutes every other day. I also recently got a VitD3 lotion from a compounding pharmacy for 10,000IUs/day.

Pro health has Vit D3 pills all the way up to 50,000IUs. They also have some great articles this week on Vitamin D (see home page).

Many people with CFS take 50,000 IU once a week - others need to start slowly to see how they tolerate it.

My doctor feels a combination of forms is helpful in bringing the levels up.

Best of luck - I totally understand your concerns - but this is good news and an opportunity to feel better! Yeah!

God Bless,

7. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Becky, I also had a Vitamin D level of 19 and my rheumy prescribed Drisdol (generic name ergocalcifer) 50,000 U, but mine was PER WK for 3 months. He told me that was the normal "protocol" when someone was "deficient" in Vit D.

I just got it re-checked and it's 29 now -- just below the normal range -- so I only have to take them once a month.

But I will also take D3 2,000 every day, to be sure it stays normal.

The Drisdol is supposed to absorb sloooowly, according to my rheumy.

8. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi. did the toxcitiy of vitamin D mess up your heart? What symptoms did you have so that you would know you had too much? Thats scarey, hope you are doing ok now. keep us posted as to how you are doing and what your test show. God bless and take care
  9. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

I have the same issue and my dr gave me the same suppliment same dose and it gave me the dry heaves for 6 hours. Now she wants me to take 2000 iu over the counter daily. 50,000 is a ton of vitamin d. I did research on it and a lot of people got sick from it. For real think twice before you take such a large dose. It may make you sick. Even if it is once a week.
  10. rachel02

rachel02 New Member

My vitamin D level is (was) 18 when I had it checked. The Nurse Practitioner said it is not the source of my pain so I didn't really take it seriously or take it consistently. Well, about 2 weeks ago, I started taking D3 regularly and WOW, has it made a difference in my pain level! I mean WOW! Now I feel like I just have a couple of joint issues that I don't understand (right hip, right shoulder and knees) to feel completely better. Boy, it used to be that I couldn't take a deep breath because of the pain...even in my entire ribcage/back all the way around and now I can and I'm so freaking happy!!! I hope it's not just a coincidence and fibro flares back up again. I'm wondering if I even HAD fibro, but I was sure in pain for a few years since I was diagnosed by my family doctor. I have been working as a CNA for the last couple of years and the pain of working a physical job and having this pain has been HELL ON EARTH! I'm a single Mom so nobody cares whether I can hardly get out of bed in the morning or not...gotta do it.

So now I'm in nursing school and now I'm not in pain that had started three years ago when my marriage ended and I sure hope this keeps working because I am ecstatic!

Does anyone know what might be wrong with my hip? It sounds like it is popping out of place if I move too fast. So I still move like an old lady so I don't injure myself worse. I hope this isn't a permanent injury due to low VitD for so long!! I wonder if I have had osteomalacia?

11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

You DON'T have to spend a ton of time tanning to get levels up....I have been going for far less than the 20 mins a day/every day amt that is allowed and my levels were low enough to be prescribed Vit D my levels are on the high side, but very good
  12. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I am now totally ambivilant about vitamin D requirements. I am aware that it has been pushed as almost a cure-all for several years now and we are told we now need much higher levels than previously thought.

Then last Fall (November) a study was released that questioned whether in fact we really need to aim for these high figures of blood D, and states that we really don't need higher amounts than we could normally get in food in a normal healthy diet. They cautioned that higher doses did not prove to prevent cancer, diabetes or help with auto-immune conditions, and may in fact cause kidney and heart problems (though "normal" amounts are necessary for bone health). Sun is the ultimate source for the vitamin and is much more effectively used by the body than the D we get from supplements. They acknowledge that that source is not consistently possible for most people but eating Vitamin D foods (tuna, milk, etc.) or taking much lower-dose vitamins are all that's necessary.

Like I say, I don't know WHAT to think anymore, but I've kind of always been a little uncomfortable with mega-doses of any supplements. Also, remember that Big Pharma is not the only business trying to profit from people's health concerns...supplements are mega-profitable too. Anyway, here's a little from one of the articles on this study

Vitamin D and calcium have long been touted as the best nutrients for strong bones, muscles and teeth. Recent studies have shown that vitamin D could be used to fight cancer, heart ailments, autoimmune diseases, even diabetes.

But too much vitamin D can damage the kidneys and the heart. So what's the right balance?
    After reviewing nearly 1,000 published studies on vitamin D and calcium, the Institute of Medicine on Tuesday recommended that most Americans and Canadians up to age 70, who are not pregnant, need no more than 600 international units (IUs) of vitamin D per day to maintain good health. People over age 70 may need as much as 800 IUs.

The committee surprisingly found the majority of Americans and Canadians are getting enough vitamin D and calcium. Some adolescent girls may not get quite enough calcium, and some elderly may fall short of the necessary amounts of calcium and vitamin D. These individuals should increase their intake of foods containing these nutrients.

Sunlight is the best source of vitamin D, but not everyone receives the same exposure. According to the intitute, the new guidelines for vitamin D cover the needs of individuals who get little sun.

The minimum recommended amount of daily sunlight depends on your skin pigmentation. White people should get not less than 5 minutes without sunscreen. People of color should get 15 to 20 minutes. There is no recommended maximum.

Ross also noted that while the report found most of the data confirmed that calcium and vitamin D do play a huge role in skeletal growth and keeping up good bone health, they could not find strong evidence that vitamin D protected the body against cancer, heart disease, autoimmune diseases and diabetes.

For now, Ross said she believes the guidelines are the best way for people to get the most out of vitamin D and calcium without causing problems.

"We scrutinized the evidence, looking for indications of beneficial effects at all levels of intake," Ross said. "Amounts higher than those specified in this report are not necessary to maintain bone health."

The Institute of Medicine, an independent nonprofit agency, serves as an adviser to the U.S. government to improve health.
  13. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi , I have been taking vit.D 50,000 IU since Sept. I think and my level went up only slightly from 19 to 23 rechecked last month. I only take it once every 2 weeks. I hate the way it makes me feel for a few days after taking it, I can't sleep (worse than normally with me) and my whole pelvic area aches and right hip area just for 2-3 days and I feel more achey in general and just kinda weird feeling, then that goes away until I have to take it again. I have my own tanning bed 20 minute type but havent used it for a couple of years but have been thinking of just using it for just maybe 5 min a few times a week and maybe take some over the counter Vit D instead of such a large dose of the prescripton kind. I do get anxious about taking that high of a dose it may be affecting kidneys etc. Take care everyone and thanks for all that answered my post. God Bless