My Vitamin Supplement List that changed my life.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by erfula1, May 8, 2006.

1. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

A guy from another site had asked me what supplements that I am taking that help me so I thought I would post it here for everyone to check out.

I am completely med free and I do still have occasional mild flares but nothing to what I had before going this route. No tears streaming down my face, curled in a ball wanting to die flares. I say that so you'll know that I have been there and I have come a long way since. It hasn't been an easy journey but I have rebuilt my life and while it isn't as active as my old life, it is a good life that I can live with.

I take St John's Wort for depression and it also helps with any sharp nerve pains. I take 3 300mg tablets ( make sure it is standardized .3%)

Cinnamon 2 500mg tablets Antioxidant and lowers blood sugar

Omega3 Fish Oil 3 1000mg tablet heart health and helps restore muscle tissue and relieve muscle pain at higher doses

Vitamin C 3 500mg tablets Antioxidant and immune booster

Black Cohosh Root 1-2 300mg tablets this is for menopausal hot flashes but it also helps with muscle cramps

Selenium 1 200mcg tablet cancer preventative it runs strong in my family

Beta Carotene 15mg tablet reduces risks of cancers, protects eyesight, and helps prevent heart disease and stroke

Ginseng Complete 2 tablets energy

Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc 3 tablets Calcium is for bones, magnesium rebuilds muscle and is a natural pain reliever and zinc aids in metabolism and promotes healthy growth.

Folic Acid 2 400mcg tablets produces new red blood cells and promotes healthy circulation helps prevent pre mature aging Most vitamins don’t have enough in them even if they say 100% RDA.

Super B Complex 1 tablet promotes energy, aids in digestion, creates white blood cells which fight infections among other things.

Potassium 2 99mg tablets required for healthy heart and muscle repair

Garlic 3 1200mg tablets (get the enteric odorless) antioxidant, reduces risk of heart disease, lowers cholesterol and triglycerides, lowers blood pressure, and acts as a natural anticoagulant in your blood. also an immune system booster and kills candida

DHEA 1 25mg tablet mother of all hormones and prevents age related health problems. DHEA declines with age and the lower the DHEA the more likely it is to have diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, and lowered immunity.

Malic Acid 3 800mg tablets (GNC) I have put sites on the boards that talk about this supplement. With Magnesium it is a natural pain reducer. It creates energy in the cells and fights fatigue and brain fog. It has worked wonders for me. (I now take Magnesium Malate, a combination of Magnesium and Malic Acid)
    Chromium 1200mg regulates blood sugar

Apple Cider Vinegar 2 tbs in unsweetened apple juice 3 times a day before meals There is so much that this does that it is too long to list. Do a web search on it and you will be amazed at what it does. Just a few, it gets rid of something (can't remember the name) that builds up in muscles and joints that causes stiffness and pain. It also regulates blood sugar and promotes weight loss. I have only been on it a few days now. (actually I found it in pill form on a vitamin site really reasonable and it is strong. PM or email me and I’ll give you the site.)

Valerian Root 5 tablets at night Natural muscle relaxer can also be taken during the day. Promotes sleep.

Melatonin 5 3 mg tablets at night Promotes sleep and an antioxidant.

Tylenol PM 2 tablets at night. I take the generic. If you don’t want the Tylenol benadryl is the same sleep ingredient.

I take more than recommended doses of Valerian Root and Melatonin so start with a lower dose and see if it works. According to a study done in Dr Atkins Age Defying Revolution they had a group of women take 75mg of melatonin a night safely. I highly recommend this book because he tells a lot of supplements to take to treat and prevent different illnesses.

Devil's Claw a natural muscle relaxer and pain reliever
    White Willow Bark natural anti-inflammatory and is what aspirin is derived from
    Ginger Root natural pain reliever also good for motion sickness

Some other things that I have recently found in my research but haven't gotten yet is:
    Licorice Root a natural pain reliever and muscle relaxer
    KAVA natural pain reliever

I know this is a lot but I can tell you that I feel better now than I ever did on meds. I never have brain fog anymore but sometimes I do still get the words mixed up. Haven’t found a supplement for that yet (LOL).

If you’ve read any of my posts you will see that I am fairly active. I drive a truck for a living, ride horses, meet with friends etc. My life still isn’t what it once was but I have a life now. In 2001 I was actually bedridden and I was on 12 different kinds of medications and I wasn’t getting any better. I woke up one day and thought to myself that I just couldn’t go on this way.

Most of the Drs treated me awful and they just kept adding more meds to mask the symptoms but they kept causing other symptoms. One clear thing is that I would have hot flashes and my face and neck and arms would turn red and then I would just pour sweat. I had heart palpitations, brain fog, tired all the time, chronic insomnia, too much to list.

Since I came off all the meds and started taking all these supplements the hot flashes disappeared along with the sweating, the palpitations, the brain fog and for the most part the insomnia. I sleep better now than I ever did even before I was diagnosed. It is a lot but to me it is worth it and until they come up with better treatment or a cure I am sticking with it. In fact for my health even if I am cured I will stay on most of the supplements. I hope this helps someone out there. I’ve put a lot of research into it and I am still researching every chance I get.

Some of you know that I broke 2 of my ribs Tuesday and I took the pain pills they gave me and stretched them out as much as I could. Well during that time I didn't take my supplements and I got to feeling really bad. The body aches came back, the brain fog, etc. So the day before yesterday I started taking everything again and when I woke up this morning I was on my left side! That's the broken rib side that when I rolled over on before I started screaming! The brain fog is gone. I am still having pain when I turn a certain way but I can tolerate it with no pain meds. The body aches are gone!

I know this sounds too good to be true but it really works for me. I don't know though if it is the combination of supplements or if it is only one or two of them. It hasn't been a week that I broke my ribs and I am just amazed at how I feel. I am not going to chance injuring myself worse by being overactive so I am still gonna take it easy for a while but, wow.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2006]
  2. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I'm trying to find a good, reliable (an maybe inexpensive) source for those now since you've posted. Also, thank you stomryskye for telling me how to search for your "road to remission" info. These are exactly what I was looking for on my post earlier. I think from all the posts that I've read so far, that you seem to be getting a lot more relief from symptoms and are actually able to have a life again by approaching treatment this way. I feel like I'm just before being bedridden and I'm just not willing to accept that if there is anything at all that I can do about it.
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I was just wondering, did anyone help you find all of these supplements and help you decide which ones would be best for you? Do you have a naturalist or a nutritionist or a doctor that finally wanted to help? I would love to find a way to get off of all the pain killers and crap I am on but I just don't know where else to turn.

Please any info on how you got this far would be so very much appreciated. Anyone who helped you get this laundry list of suppliments or any research you did would be wonderful! I just don't know where to start and what can go with what and what will help me... so on and so fourth.

Thank you in advance
    Shananegans
  4. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

You'd be surprised. I found some discount vitamin websites that I use but I also use Wal Mart, the Dollar Store, and GNC. I also buy in bulk at Sam's Club when I can and they last forever. I don't run out of many things at one time the way I have them spaced out so that helps.
    If nothing else please try the Magnesium Malate and the omega 3's. If nothing else you can get just the magnesium at Wal Mart cheaply. It really does make a difference. Alot of what I take you can get in a good multivitamin , I just prefer to know that I am getting the right amount based on my research.
    You can also try adding some of the natural pain relievers one at a time and see if they work alone or together. I know that the White Willow Bark definately helps with inflammation. Hope this helps.
  5. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I did all the research on my own. I visited alot of sites like this one and read everything that people were trying and then read about it. I read books. I listened to naturalists on the radio and did even more research. This has been an ongoing process for me for 5 years.
    I know that I wouldn't want to live the way I was existing 5 years ago. I went from being a successful business manager to not even being able to get out of bed. I just kept getting worse and none of the Drs had the answers even after I was diagnosed. I finally got fed up with the way they were treating me and the dependancy I was developing for the meds. It has been a long road and trial and error and trying things that didn't work. I think that with a lot of these supplements my body is getting the nutrition it needed that I wasn't getting from my diet. Very few people get proper nutrition these days. I still don't eat as good as I should but I try to avoid sugar and I went off soft drinks and aspartame.
    Some things too didn't work for me like others said it did for them. For instance Magnesium by itself didn't really make a difference but when I started taking Magnesium Malate I noticed an immediate difference. It can be frustrating but it is just as frustrating to go to Dr after Dr and try med after med that do not work or only work temporarily. Plus now I don't deal with their attitudes and that has helped my stress level tremendously.
    You have to find what works for you. You have to rebuild your life around this illness without letting it destroy who you are. It isn't easy. I know that. I have had many sleepless nights walking the floors and crying. I've been through the depression and the anxiety and not knowing how I am gonna support my family. But I didn't lose my faith and I got my mind straight and I survived. I consider myself very lucky because I know there are people out there who give up and I was almost one of them. I am grateful for the life I do have and I don't dwell on the life I no longer have.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get on a soap box there but it is something I feel strongly about and it hurts me to see people where I was 5 years ago and I hope I never go back there again. I hope this helps you.

A starting place for you to research that doesn't advertise brands, only what does what is
    http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/CFS/fib_herbal.htm
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

But I bet it's better than drugs.

I take a laundry list of sups too, but I still have to take meds. Some of them are for life, ie: diabetes, bi-polar, cholesterol, etc. But I hope to get off pain meds eventually.

BTW, I love the pic on your profile. I collect unicorns (hence my name) and I have several pegasi (is that legit? or is it pegasuses? LOL) in my collection as well.

God Bless.
  7. MomExecutive

MomExecutive New Member

Hi everyone! This is great information about vitamins and supplements! I am also taking vitamins and a supplement and off all of my meds.
    I did want to pass along about the cost - I pay $26 per month for mine. The vitamins I take are the only in North America that have a patent (that means they were clinically proven to be better) on them! They are 98% absorbing, most over the counter vitamins like One-A-day, etc. are only 10 -20% absorbing. The vitamins I take have a fructose compounding on them that makes them go directly into your cells instead of staying in your stomach.
    Hopes this helps someone!
    Take Care and God Bless.
  8. Edna

Edna New Member

I know it's a lot but I think it's good to go as natural as you can too.

Also, for depression if St. John's Worts isn't strong enough they might try SAM-e. I was on Serzone and bec of side effects had to go off of it. I tried the St. John's but it wasn't powerful enough and SAM-e was. You can buy it at most any health food store.

9. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

How much Sam E do you take ? Can you take a little of it with antidepressants ? I do not feel like my prozac has been working too well lately .
  10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Which brand of magnesium do you take & where do you buy it ? What brand of omega fish oils do you takE ?
  11. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I take some of these in a new regime I have started but I didn't know about the malic acid and the energy factor with it.

I'm glad the're helping with you, it's too soon to say if the new regime will work for me but I am forever hopeful.

Sue
  12. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

erfula1:
    That's some list. I hope you continue to improve. I have been thinking of adding selinium after reading about the controversial Dr. Revici (now deceased). He was booted out of the AMA and could no longer take insurance, but his theory was that cancer could be treated and prevented by it.
    He was know as a madcap geninius and lived well into his 90s if I remember correctly.

I think I wiil try some selenium. Cancer ran in my famiiy also.

nyrofan
  13. twerp

twerp New Member

I perked up when I saw the note on malic acid improving brain fog. That's a major problem with me. Does anything else on your extensive list help in that area as well?

Hugs,
    Twerp
  14. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I'll try & get them all.
    One thing that I forgot to put on my list that does definately help with memory and brain fog is Ginko Bibola. You can find several of the things I take at the Dollar General Store. I have looked at their contents and they are the same on most things and they work for me. I also just started taking Co Q-10 which has a lot of benefits too many to mention here but you can do a web search easily.
    I take NSI brand Magnesium Malate which has magnesium and malic acid combined. I found this doesn't upset my stomach at all. When I took Malic Acid by itself I got indegestion. You can also buy it seperately and take it together at the same time. You can get great deals on this website and they don't sell just one brand, it is like a discount on alot of different brands so I hope it is ok to post it. Vitacost.com. I use them and they send exactly what you order.
    As for Omega 3 I get the members mark brand at Sam's Club. I'm sure there maybe better out there but you get 300 softgels for around (don't quote me) 10 bucks.

Oh unicorn, there is so much out there for you in the way of supplements!!! Cinamon! My grandmother is a diabetic whose blood sugar was running 200's and sometimes 300's and now it stays at 100 or below. She started taking the cinamon 2 x a day. Here is a list from a Dr's book for diabetics
    Chromium 500-1000mcg
    ALPHALIPOIC acid 300-600mg
    Vanadyl Sulphate 30-60mg
    Coenzyme Q-10 90-180mg
    Biotin 7.5-15
    Inositol 800-1600mg
    Zinc 90-180mg
    Niacinamide 30-600mg
    Magnesium 450-900mg
    Gymnema syvestre 200-400mg
    Fenugreek 125-250mg

This is a list of vitanutrients to lower blood sugar levels and regulate insulin.

I hope I answered all the questions but if I missed any just reask and I'll respond. Thanks.
  15. BethM

BethM New Member

A suggestion. Start with adding ONE supplement at a time. If you add more than one and react badly or well, you won't know which one is the problem or the help.

I know I am so very sensitive that I start with tiny doses of anything new.

If I can remember, I will post the name of what looks to be a good source on herbs online. It's on my desktop at home. Found it yesterday.

Just my 2.5 cents!

Hugs,
    Beth.
  16. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

That's an awful lot of supplements! Just wanted to let you know to watch out for the Kava Kava. Kava has been proven to lead to liver failure. My rheumatologist had me on it but took me off it after it was discovered it was causing liver failure. Also I heard some bad things about the licorice. I can't remember what it caused. Maybe high blood pressure? Can you tell us about how much you spend per month on all these supplements? Just curious.
  17. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I buy in bulk when I can and then buy several bottles if I find them on sale so I am not really sure how much I spend. I look for discounts so it varies. Sorry.

Another pain reliever is Bromelain which is from pineapple.
  18. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

I'm glad your regimen is working for you, but I don't purchase anything out of a store. I have found that the smorgasbord approach is not the way to take supplements, for two reasons, 1. because too much of a good thing can become a bad thing and potentially affect your liver. 2. It really scares me to know that vitamins are not regulated by the govt and manufacturers are not required to meet label claim. The ingredients are low quality with low bioavailability, and in inappropriate nutrient amounts and ratios and are inadequate to promote good health. Therefore making them less expensive, but in reality, you're spending more to compensate for what you need. Besides, if they are not in the correct balance, they simply don't work. And if any of the ingredients are synthetic, your body doesn't recognize it and it won't get absorbed.
    My supplements are economical because I purchase a healthpak that has everything I need...calcium with magnesium(helps with my blood pressure), antioxidants (proflavanol), omega-3 with EPA/DHA, and all the essential vitamins and minerals. And this works for me. Occasional pain and lots of energy!
    I'm not selling, this is to help educate on misleading advertisements.

Thanks!

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2006]
  19. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Of course, taking so many supplements, you'd save money on food! No room for it.

Just kidding; it was a hard night. I'm glad you fought your way through the confusing supplement jungle to find what works for you.

Marta
  20. sues1

sues1 New Member

erfula1

I would love to read your postings. A couple of others on this thread also.

Please, if you will, go back and put your postings in short paragraphs. It affects my eyes, hurts, stomach gets upset.

Many of us here are that way. You might not of been aware of this.

You put a lot of thought and time in to this and I appreciate you sharing, But I can not read it.

Do you drive local or all over? That is a hard job! What size truck, straight truck or semi? Good for you.
    Blessings........Susan