Mycoplasma Infection – Link to CFS, FMS, GWS, and RA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Feb 11, 2007.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Multiplex PCR for the Detection of Mycoplasma fermentans, M. hominism, and M. penetrans in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrom, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Gulf War Syndrome. Aristo Vojdani, PhD, MT and Al Robert Franco

From: Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (The Haworth Medical Press, an imprint of the Haworth Press, Inc.) Vol. 5, No. 3/4, 1999, pp. 187-197

[The following information is abbreviated from content on the website for The Arithritis Center of Riverside, CA.]

"It has been well documented that people who suffer from fibromyalgia exhibit many of the same symptoms found in CFS (6,7). These two illnesses are so similar that for years many medical practitioners have considered them as the same condition. They are still regarded as closely associated in the scientific literature with only the exception of a few distinction criteria. Other research has stated the uncanny similarities between chronic fatigue syndrome and gulf war syndrome (8). Patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis also exhibit certain symptoms characteristic to each illness (9). Although RA exhibits a narrower spectrum of clinical symptoms than CFS, FMS, and GWS, it does exhibit a significant overlap of symptoms found in each condition. The fact that these four illnesses have such a high degree of similarities led us to investigate the possibility that mycoplasma infection may be a common link to each condition. A successful clinical practice greatly depends on rapid and reliable detection techniques. Mycoplasma detection by culture is laborious and may take as long as five weeks to generate results that even then may be inconclusive or inaccurate due to the fastidious nature of mycoplasmas (10-12)."

<b>How many have been screened for mycoplasma infection?</b>

My sister has undergone testing and has found that she has mycoplasma infection. This has caused many of her symptoms, and she is now under antibiotic treatment by a naturopath. She lives in OR. Her naturopath sent the lab to The Arthritis Research Center Inc. - http://www.tarci.net/

Think I'll take some of the info I've found to my rheumy and see if he'll test me for mycoplasm infection. Hope he's open to it!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which triggered my illnesses full blown at the end of 1990. I lived next to a military installation where soldiers were being vaccinated prior to deployment to the first Gulf War. I probably got sick in the holiday shopping crowds from a soldier who was actively sick with a mycoplasma infection.

It took 2 1/2 years on Doxycycline, starting about six years ago, to get it under control. I still keep Doxy on hand because, like Lyme, the mycoplasma infection can deposit cysts deep in our tissues and they can reactivate if we get run down or injured.

There is now a transfer factor for mycoplasmas sold here. It is not advertised but you can ask for it at the 1-800 number at the Store. It used to be sold only to physicians. I don't know whether that is still the case or not.

If you go to Dr. Garth Nicolson's website, Immed, you can read a lot about mycoplasma infections in FMS, ME/CFS, and GWI, as well as other illnesses. The Roadback Foundation website has a lot of info about using ABX to treat RA.

Love, Mikie
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I think I remember your story from way back in one of your posts, but my brain filed it somewhere and the cobwebs are in the way these days. Wow!

I was also really sick about the same time from "walking pneumonia" caused by mycoplasma infection in the lungs. I've had some really bad bouts even before my FMS diagnosis when I felt as though I had either Valley Fever (something you get in the SW), or mono. [I've had both of those as well.] Now, I wonder if it could have been the mycoplasma hiding in my body and "kicking" up here and there. With the new diagnosis of lupus this past year ... I wonder if it all is somehow connected as far as affecting my immune system.

I'll call the ProHealth number tomorrow and check out the websites on the info that you provided. Also, I'm going to ask for the test when I see my rheumatologist. I hope he's amenable to checking it.

My sister has been on a low dose of minocyclin for her mycoplasma infection. Can you believe that she became ill exactly 4 1/2 years after I was dx with FMS? She is exactly that much younger than I.

Thank you again Mikie. You are such a help on this Board and I appreciate it very much.

L, Jeannette
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know I have posted about the strange conditions surrounding my mycoplasma infection but I know that people don't remember and that we have new people all the time. I can hardly remember what happened yesterday :) I continue to believe that GWI is the same as ME/CFS but may have had the additional triggers of the stress of battle and toxins from munitions. During the war, chemical alarms went off multiple times, suggesting the Saddam used some kind of chemical warfare during the first Gulf War.

Strangely, when I requested my records from the doc who treated me at the time, there was no mention of the mycoplasma infection nor the lab test which confirmed it. There was a copy of the telephone message where I called in for the lab results and was told I had a mycoplasma infection. I knew nothing about them then but the name stuck in my mind. I don't know what strain, or strains, I was infected by. I was sick for a long time and left crippled for months.

I do believe that it is possible for these infections to be passed when they reactivate and I refrain from sharing glasses or utinsels with my family and friends. Since my infection is usually under control, I think the risk is minimal. Those with GWI often have spouses who have become ill and some of their children have medical problems. Even family pets have become ill.

I also believe that most of us suffer from reactivation of Herpes Family Viruses or from chronic infection. That was the case for me. Some here also suffer from chronic fungal infections.

As I posted before, I know some docs are cautious with using TF's in patients with autoimmune illnesses. Most docs probably know nothing about TF's.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

Love, Mikie