mycoplasma infection question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Oct 15, 2006.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hi,
    How do you get tested for this infection? I only had this tested by my GYN and it was negative. But it was just a culture not a blood test. I have been tested for various other infections but they all have been normal so far.

Does this infection cause symptoms? I have fibro. Any info would be great! Thanks
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Krissy,
    Mikie is very knowledgable of mycoplasma since she has it. Hopefully she'll answer this. I know that you need a PCR for a really definative test.

Trouble is there are like 100 different mycoplasmas. The one that shows up heavily in Fibro, CFS, and GWS is mycoplasma incognitis.

You'll never get your GYN to test for that. More likely a infectious disease specilist. Anyhow, hopefully someone dealing with this already will post.

Good Luck,
    kbak
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mycoplasma strains which are common in people with our illnesses. Go to Dr. Garth Nicolson's website, Immed, and you can read about the PCR DNA tests. Other tests are useless unless the infection is active and not chronic.

Lyme Disease should also be ruled out. Both infections can take years to get under control. When you read about how the pathogen invades our cells, you can understand why.

Both these infections can cause a lot of symptoms.

Some docs will try an ABX, like Doxycycline, empirically to see what happens. It saves having to have the expensive tests done. It is better, though, if you can get the tests done.

Love, Mikie
  4. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info.

You say: Some docs will try an ABX, like Doxycycline, empirically to see what happens.

Why is this done? If you have mycoplasma and you take ABX what will happen?

Just wondering because I will talk to my doc about this.

Thanks again.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It will answer a lot of your questions about why docs try the Doxy. Sixty to seventy percent of us with these illnesses have a stealth chronic mycoplasma infection.

What happens depends on whether one has a bacterial infection, how long one has been infected, and how effective the drugs are at eliminating the pathogens. If one has no bacterial infections, the drugs will likely have no effect, except for any side effects of the drugs. If one has a very high pathogen load and the drug is very effective, one will have a Herxheimer Effect and feel much worse before feeling better. If the load is lower, the dieoff may not be more than the person can eliminate and she will just feel better without Herxing.

If you are going to talk to your doc about this, you really need to do your own research, print out what you find, highlight the pertinent areas to save your doc time, and make any notes in the margins you think the doc needs to know.

Some good areas to research are Dr. Nicolson's website, the Hemex Lab website for hypercoagulation and the tests for it, and Google terms, such as Herxheimer, mycoplasmas, stealth pathogens and any other things which will help you make your case with your doc. Most docs are not knowledgeable about these things. This is where we can make a real difference. Also, you need to become an equal partner in your own healthcare.

Bacterial infections are not the only chronic infections we are prone to get. We also usually have stealth viruses in the Herpes Family. Common to us are EBV, CMV, and HHV-6. We can have chronic fungal infections as well.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie

6. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Thanks so much. I was wondering how did you find out about your hypercoagulation because I remember reading that you took Heparin for this. I am APA+ which is a clotting disorder. Are clotting disorders common in fibro?

Thanks
  7. winsomme

winsomme New Member

there is a lab in NJ that does the PCR test for mycoplasma. they also have a whole panel of tests for CFS. it includes tests for all the various Herpes viruses and i think Lyme too.

it was covered by my insurance.

i tested positive for mycoplasma fermentans, but i haven't been willing to go on long term abx.

i just read about an herbal product for mycoplasma called Myco+ and it is made by a compnay called Raintree. i don't know much about it, but it can be ordered online.

also, if you want the website for MDL, do a google for MDL, PCR and you should find it.

if you can't, let me know. they will send you a blood collection kit in the mail, and then you just have to get your DR to sign the order form and draw the blood.

thanks
    bill
  8. winsomme

winsomme New Member

www.mdlab.com

the CFS panel is called Immune compromised panel.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But there is soooo much to read about the infectious pathogens, the treatment options, and the hypercoagulation that one really has to dig into it to get a good grasp. It's so much more than anyone could post here.

I don't know about the coagulation problems. We do see people here who have them. The type which is common in people with chronic infections is an overgrowth of fibrin in the blood. The Hemex Website explains a lot about it.

If you have blood drawn for any test to be sent overnight to a lab, have it drawn late in the day, unless it's a fasting test. DNA has a half-life of 24 hrs; if the test isn't done withing 24 hrs. of its being drawn, half the DNA will be too degraded to test. Also, the blood must be kept cool and carefully handled. The tests are expensive so you want to ensure you get reliable results. Even with all these precautions, there are a lot of false neg. results. When a neg. result is received, some docs will prescribe an antibiotic for a while; this stirs up the bacteria. Then, another test is run and the tricky little beasties will often then show up.

Again, good luck to you.

Love, Mikie