mycoplasma pneumonaie anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Iggy_RN, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

I'll be brief.
    what do you know about it?
    WHo has mycoplasma pneumonaie?
    How did they treat it?
    What symptoms while being treated?
    How long have you been on ABX?
    Did you get rid of it?
    Did it ever come back?
    I have been on ABX for almost 2 months. (doxy) 100mgs 2x day. I have never felt so much pain head to toe in my life since this ABX. Thanks, Iggy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We don't know what strain(s) of the mycoplasma I had 12 yrs. ago because the doc just told me I had a mycoplasma infection and the lab results were not in his records when I got them.

My doc decided with me to just empirically treat the infection with the Doxy and I Herxed big time and then had a lessening of my symptoms. If you are feeling worse, it is probably because the Doxy is killing off a lot of pathogens. Since you have felt so bad for so long, perhaps you should cut the dose or pulse the ABX. Most of the time, they don't want to pulse until six months have elapsed, so cutting the dose may be the best bet, but after two months, pulsing may help too.

My Herxing usually only lasts 24-48 hours with fluish feeling, diarrhea, and a burning sensation in my torso. I've been on the Doxy for about 1 1/2 years now and am pulsing it with one month on and one month off or until the symptoms return.

Good luck with your treatment.

Love, Mikie
  3. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

in reading up on dr. garth nicholson's treatment he says he doesn't like pulsing because you feel really bad for the one day you pulse so he says he doesn't prefer that. He also says that may herx for several months and that if you use too low a dose it will just cause the mycoplasmas to bury deeper and not work on them. Based on that, shouldn't Iggy_rn just bear out the herxing. Dr. Nicholson says that a person will probably flare off and on during treatment and once the flaring is gone and symptoms don't come back after doing the 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off cycles(after the 1st 6 months of continuous abx). He says they will not ususally be surpressed until 1-2 years depending how long you have been ill...

anyway, i'm anxious to hear what you think since our family has been on abx for about 3 1/2 months, but we just started heparin 3 1/2 weeks ago for hypocoagulation...so I'm not sure how much abx has been really getting through to the mycoplasmas...

sorry for rambling...just thinking outloud kinda...

thanks for your sharing your thoughts..

take care crissy....
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are very sensitive to drugs. She simply cannot take the prescribed dose and be functional. When this is the case, most people have no choice but to decrease or pulse the meds.

There is more and more being learned about how the mycoplasmas react to the ABX, so my info may be outdated now. I haven't really done a lot of research for a bit.

I have heard that pulsing is better because it keeps the critters off balance and they do not burrow more deeply in the body because when the ABX are withdrawn, the mycoplasmas think they are free to do their nasty work and do not effect defensive measures.

I wrote to Dr. Nicolson and he told me to keep trying to pulse and stay off the ABX as soon as possible. This was fairly recently. I have been able to stay off for six weeks before the symptoms started to return. When the symptoms return, I return to taking the Doxy. BTW, I always Herx when I go off the ABX too. I figure it's my own immune system killing the mycoplasmas which are in the bloodstream.

Love, Mikie
  5. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

I just saw my rheummy today and I do not understand it but he says that most people are finished with the meds w/in a year. I also asked him about the effects of ABX on my system and he says "you'll be fine" I see no problems w/LT ABX. excuse me? I told him what we know about it and he really doesn't say anything. I also added about the research linking mycos to degenerative diseases, and such, and he just nodded and wouldn't answer me. I was sort of hoping that he would add some professional opinion about it, but he didn't. I keep daily journals on pain, exercise, symptoms,and sleep, and I stated the pain I have been in and he had a shot of toradol, and more darvocett per day. instead of #30, he gave me #120. He listens more when I have more research and papers documenting my condition. I'll start on weekly toradol shots @ his office along w/a visit to the pain clinic next week. WIsh me luck... I hope to start some relief. Blessings, Iggy
  6. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

bump for some answers please!!!
  7. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Ohhhhh yes, another victim here, my daughter at the tender age of 15 & again at 17 - got her literally by the throat, swelled up beyond belief...

She was given 2 wks on ABX second time round - fat lot of good that was.

Olive Leaf Extract was the wonder cure for her, within 6 weeks her energy levels increased dramatically and levelled off allowing her to have some quality of life.

I personally don`t like ABX drugs - they can do more harm than good because of the way they kill good bacteria, - leaving you vulnerable to further infection and opens the gates for candida fungi, unless you back up with probiotics,
    which adds to the cost.

OLE is cheap and very effective in more ways than ABX can ever possibly match.

I don`t like drugs, they further suppress an already stressed immune system. They don`t heal, only the body can do that itself...

My advice is to take OLE, Flaxseed Oil, Magnesium, B Vits Digestive Enzymes & Probiotics too if you have IBS.

Best to do the OLE first for a few weeks then introduce supplements. Sorry this sounds like a lecture, jumping on my soap-box again...

Love Pat.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Nicolson recommends six months straight on the ABX before pulsing and he has found that it usually takes at least a year and a half or longer before the mycoplasmas are wiped out. People who have been sick a long time may have to be on ABX for life.

I've been on the Doxycycline for a year and a half without problems, but I have always taken care of my gut with probiotics and enzymes. Many who have been on long-term ABX have done so without problems. It is certainly preferable to letting the mycoplasmas run rampant in the body.

I drink the OLE tea because if I take the capsules, it will block the Guai treatment. I also use a zapper and take colloidal silver for the parasites.

Concurrently, I take colostrum and denatured whey from ProHealth to help build my immune system back up. I've been sick 12 years since the original mycoplasma infection, but I am optimistic that eventually, I will be able to get well because my own immune system is still working somewhat. It will eventually take care of what mycoplasmas are left when the population is small enough.

Love, Mikie