Mycoplasma Tests

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Apr 3, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

I had mycoplasma testing done about 7 years ago, following Dr. Garth Nicholson's PCR protocols.

I tested pos. for M. pneumonia, and fermentans and genitalia.

Does anyone know what these can mean in terms of my health?

I have had lung xrays that are "clear" and/or "normal", but have COPD, so wonder if the tightness I get in my lungs is COPD or mycoplasma thriving there in the lining of my lung tissue?

Most abx give me severe, wasting diarrhea, so even tho' dr. offered, I just can't do it...I take a great probiotic daily, to help IBS problems (works great, thank you).

Anyone know what mycoplasma can do to you? Thanks!

findmind
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Whether the mycoplasmas were treated. Since the ABX caused such a reaction, I assume the mycoplasma infection was never treated successfully. If not, the infection is likely chronic in your system. There are newer ABX now as well as a transfer factor for mycoplasmas. The diarrhea you describe may have been severe Herxing and if it was, a much lower dose should be prescribed until the Herxing isn't as severe. Severe Herxing is akin to Toxic Shock Syndrome. It's rare but has occured. Tansy had this.

It would be interesting to be retested to see whether you still have the infection.

Love, Mikie
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Mikie: I had such severe diarrhea from IBS I never tried the abx.

You know, I don't seem to have any symptoms I can pinpoint...the probiotics cleared up the diarrhea, I'm very normal now. I also cut out all dairy products, or take enzymes when I have a little cottage cheese.

Anyhow, thanks for your info...if I think about it awhile, I'll probably try transfer factor.

You are SO smart! How do you hold all that info in your head???

findmind
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the compliment. The reason I have some info in my mind is because I've been researching off and on for the last five years. It was a mycoplasma infection which triggered my illnesses full on.

Interesting thing--I have had IBS all my life but when I started the Doxycycline, it went away and I don't have it anymore. This leads me to believe that at least some IBS may be caused by bacteria just as some ulcers are caused by bacteria.

I have taken probiotics for years because I had heard way back then that unless we supplement with them, we are prone to develop Leaky Gut Syndrome. The probiotics by themselves didn't clear up the IBS but they definitely have helped me. I think good health begins in the gut.

ProHealth does not sell the mycoplasma TF directly to patients. They have a website for physicians and only a doc can order the TF for the mycoplasmas. My guess is that if you call them, they can give you the web address for physicians. I can't remember the name of the website.

I'm glad you are not having problems from the infection. I was never the same even after the active stage of the infection. In the chronic stage, it kept me so fatigued and it just got worse and worse. I think without the ABX, I would still be in bed.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. fairqueen

fairqueen New Member

My daughter had mycoplasma pneumonia when she was 10 and nearly died. She is now 28. I had never heard of such a thing before her illness. She's been healthy since then, but wonder---does this stay in your system throughout your life? Her twin also had mycoplasma pneumonia, but was never hospitalized.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Fairqueen
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mycoplasmas are typically harmless to those with healthy immune systems. In some cases, people become infected and if not treated properly, the infection can go chronic in the body. People with our illnesses can be infected for years. I was sick 10 years before I found out that mycoplasma infections can be chronic. It took 2 1/2 years on Doxycycline to get the infection under control.

Mycoplasmas have no cell walls of their own and can only survive by invading healthy cells. They reproduce, kill their host cells, and go into the bloodstream in search of new cells to invade. It is when they are in the bloodstream that treatments can kill them. That is why it takes so long to get rid of them once they have been thriving for many years untreated.

If someone has a chronic mycoplasma infection, she is likely sick (or will be when enough of the bacteria have reproduced). Only a PCR DNA test will reveal them at this stage and the test often produce false neg. results. An empirical course of ABX will often reveal them because they will produce Herxing as they are killed off.

Dr. Garth Nicolson's website, Immed, has a wealth of info on mycoplasmas.

Love, Mikie
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

Fairqueen, Mikie is far more expert than I in explaining this! What I have experienced personally is:

As a mid-20s mother of 2 daus, I kept getting severe crippling chest pains and coughing. I would take antibios, but it constantly kept coming back. I was in a failing marriage of only 6 yrs at the time, and I'm sure my immune system was depressed. I also got an ovarian cyst removed and cervical dysplasia around the same time. (Interesting they were during same time period).

I was told I had walking pneumonia, but from what i know know, think that is related to M.pneumonia.

I left a northern state to go south where warmer weather seemed to help me thrive...plus out of bad marriage.

I think M.pneumonia, unless attacked quickly and strongly with abx CAN, but not always DOES, find its way into the lining of organs, in the epithelium, and hides out there, waiting for the immune system to be depressed again.

So, please help your daughters keep their immune systems strong with proper food, rest, clean water, vits, etc...(there are good Search topics on this site abut immune system, and drmercola.com I like, also).

Thanks for posting...always love responses, there are so many smart, informed people here!

findmind
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The best way to keep infections from invading or reactivating is to build up one's health and immune system. I have found probiotics, colostrum, and undenatured whey to be very good at rebuilding my own immune system. Rest and good nutrition are essential.

I had walking pneumonia my last year in CO and it was then that I decided to head to FL where I feel so much better. FL, with its heat and humidity, isn't for everyone but it sure helped me to feel better. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to keep my from finally getting so sick I could no longer work and became bedridden. It's been a very long road back and I'm not there yet. Cleaning up the infections has gone a long way toward healing.

Love, Mikie
  9. fairqueen

fairqueen New Member

I really appreciate your replies!! Both my daughters are very health conscious---exercise regularly and eat healthy. So, hopefully, both of them will be fine.

I really appreciated seeing a post about mycoplasmas. Findmnd, I hope you stay healthy!

Fairqueen
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I was sick enough that I spent several days in the hosptial with major IV antiboticis and I still have my cough and asthma. But I have been tested for it since then. But I don't ever run a fever and I have a abnoramlly low body temp all the time. IT is around 96.7 and it has been that way for years and years.

I would get bronchitis all the time as a teen ager and was on Doxyciline for months and months and I got better but I was told that I know would have this couch all the time. It is a non productive cough that makes my chest hurt to breathe.
    And I don't take deep enough breaths like I should do and I use my inhaler so that I can breathe deeply so that I feel better and don't feel so tired all the time. But I have never been told that I have had the mycoplasma infection again.
    When I would get the bronchitis I would spend several months on antibitoics usually the doxyciline. And my doctors said that it was cleared up so I have not worried about it any more.

Maybe I will have the doctor check in to this again.
    Rosemarie

[ advertisement ]