mycroplasma/mycoplasma discussion requested

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by synergy42, Jan 14, 2003.

1. synergy42

synergy42 New Member

Guess I may be belaboring this point, since nobody has been paying attention to the two previous posts on this topic. is anyone aware of, or interested in this issue?? Hello, hello, hello out there?????

synergy
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That mycoplasma discussions have dominated our discussions here lately. I am glad to see the increase in interest in stealth infections, bacterial and viral.

What, specifically, would you like to discuss related to mycoplasmas? What may not be obvious is the number of people who read the posts. Many do not respond because mycoplasmas are a rather complex subject and many may not feel they are informed enough to join the discussion. It is easy to become frustrated when we feel that something very important is not being taken seriously by everyone, but all we can do is bring the subjects to light and let each person decide for him- or herself whether to become involved.

If there is some area of discussion you would like to see, just let us know and we'll start a thread on it.

Love, Mikie
  3. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have been reading into more the links to places on it all. I understand it somewhat better.

I want to know how to be tested to see if you do have a stealth virus?
  4. Karrot

Karrot New Member

Forgive me if this is a redundant question... but is there a name for this test? So that I can go into my doc's office and request it. Luckily, there is a lab within the health center here on post.

Is it a blood test? I'm fairly stupid in this topic and find much of the info out there to be too high speed for me.. I guess, much to my own disadvantage, I'm not good at absorbing or understanding medical things.

Thanks a lot,
    karrot
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is what the PCR stands for. It is the same test done on the blood in the OJ Simpson case. If you watched any of the testimony in the case, you probably saw that everyone and every living cell has its own distinct DNA "fingerprint." This is what the labs look for when they perform the PCR DNA tests on the mycoplasmas.

You may also remember the arguement in the Simpson case about how the blood was stored in a car in the heat of the day for a prolonged period of time. The defense argued that the DNA had become degraded to the point that the tests were no longer reliable.

The half-life of mycoplasma DNA is only 24 hours. That means that even if your local lab could draw the blood, store it at the proper temperature and get it to the lab doing the test withing 24 hours and the lab actually managed to do the test within the 24-hour period, half the mycoplasma DNA would be so degraded that it would provide a false negative result. It is next to impossible to have blood drawn, shipped and tested withing 24 hours, even if it is kept at the proper temperature. That means that usually, only 25 percent of the mycoplasma DNA is available for testing in the blood sample. This is what accounts for the high degree of false negative results.

Love, Mikie
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Thanks for the info jellybelly and mikie, I will check into it more on a location to have it done. I live in Central Ohio.
  7. synergy42

synergy42 New Member

Thanks to all of you who answered my post! And Mikie, I'm sorry to be igorant that mycoplasma has been dominating the forum -- I'm so new to the forum (3 days now, I think) that I didn't know.)

I was thrilled and amazed to see the word "mycoplasma" because I thought maybe it might explain my chronic fatigue.

And Mikie, you asked if I have any specific questions. I do.

1. What is the difference between mycoplasma and mycroplasma?

I was dx'd with mycroplasma 31 years ago, about 3 weeks after I had returned from a 3 month stay in Africa. At that time, I came down with what was dx'd as Asian flu, and was hospitalized for that. As I remember, the symptoms I had over the next four months, during which I slept most of the time, were: extreme sore throat; rash on the front of my torso; arthritis which moved around from one joint to another -- knee to knee to big toe to thumb joint. For a long time I could not walk without crutches. Also, a low grade "fever or unknown origin;" and mycroplasma, which they said was "an obscure children's disease;" and pleurisy.

After the fever broke which lasted 4 months, I was able to get out of bed and wash my hair!!! The doc would not allow me anything but dry shampoo, and my mother used it on my hair. I could only have sponge baths, too. Ugh. I was ever so miserable. I know the doc was afraid I would die, but I did not die, because I decided to live -- spring came and the flowers were so lovely I wanted to live. I honestly did want to die, and think I had been dying spiritually.

But anyway, for the next 8 months after the 4 (i.e. totalling 12 months altogether) I took aspirin several times a day because my right thumb joint was so arthritic and hurt. From time to time I would quit the aspirin and the arthritis would return. But finally, I quit the aspirin and the arthritis did not return. Somehow I got the impression that it was a virus.

My own thinking was this was something I picked up in Africa. Either that, or it was an immuno deficiency disorder because of all the immunizations I had gotten so fast before I left -- cholera, typhoid, typhus, yellow fever, dyphtheria, smallpox -- and much more, all within the space of less than 6 weeks.

Okay. That was then. This is now. I wrote to a mycoplasma support site and a person said that the aftereffects of mysoplasma could be chronic fatigue. I also asked my rheumatologist the same question today, and he agreed. He said that since I had pleurisy, and a firm dx, the chances were I had mycroplasma pneumoniae (or however it's spelled) and that it can have long-term effects of chronic fatigue.

2. My second question: Has anyone had any experience tying mycroplasma or mycoplasma to chronic fatigue?

3. I really appreciate the advice about getting tested. Is there a possibility that I might STILL HAVE microplasma? If so, what would this mean to my health?

4. Can someone recommend a good, clearly understood website on mycroplasma? I went to some, but they were hard to understand. They were real technical and all the did was show pictures of lungs.

Again, I do apologize if my questions are redundant.

Thanks to anyone who writes and/or refers me back to other posts which may have already answered these questions.

synergy

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sorry; I forget from time to time that we have new people every day and that it is impossible to know what has been posted in the past. I apologize.

Your post just happened to be very timely as we have been discussing mycoplasmas for quite a while and the interest has been growing. Jelly is our resident expert and research warrior on mycoplasmas.

The mycoplasma which triggered my illnesses 12 years ago sounds so similar to your experience except that I wasn't down and out as long as you. I was sick for a couple of weeks with what felt like horrible flu. Even when the flu feeling passed, I was horrible fatigued even though I had returned to work. My legs were stiff and painful for months. When the first antibiotics didn't work, the doc took another blood test and identified the antibodies as mycoplasma. He didn't tell me which strain and explained that mycoplasma infections are like "mono of the blood." I have sent for those medical records and there is no mention of mycoplasma infection and the lab test is missing. Those docs kept horrible records. I was once given a med to which I had a horrible reaction and when I called, they said I wasn't supposed to get that and it must have been for another patient! Needless to say, I changed docs. Anyway, I digress.

Regardless of how it's spelled, I believe we are talking about the same organism. It may have been spelled differently back then or the docs may have misspelled it. I think now it's called mycoplasma.

Mycoplasmas can definitely trigger our illnesses as can viral infections. I, personally, believe we are genetically predisposed and all it takes is a trigger. Your vaccinations could have triggered your illness and the mycoplasma infection may have been an infection of opportunity. The other possibility is that the vaccines were contaminated.

Since you know it was a mycoplasma which triggered your illness, there is a very good chance it has remained in a chronic state in your body, as the usual cycles of antibiotics used for bacterial infections did not kill them off and the survivors dug into your cells for the long haul. Once inside the cells, they incorporate your body's own DNA to avoid detection by the immune system.

You may want to see whether your doc will treat empirically with Doxycycline, Cipro, or Azithromycin. If you do not have a chronic infection, the antibiotics will have no effect. If you do, you will most likely have a Herxheimer Effect when the antibiotics kill off the mycoplasmas. Then, there should be a lessening of the symptoms eventually.

You can use the web to find labs which do the PCR DNA tests. I know that Dr. Nicolson does them in CA and that the Great Smokies Lab does them. There may be more. I did not have the test; my doc just prescribed Doxycycline 100 mgs twice a day.

Love, Mikie
  9. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi Synergy,

I too am very interested in mycoplasmas but as I read your last mail about being in Africa for 3 months and then being ill made me think of when I was in India /Nepal for 6 months (27 years ago)and was ill during and after. Anyway many years later my doc tested me for chronic gut infections that can have profound effects on your health not necessarily in your guts though, can effect your whole body, joints etc. They did a fancy DNA test on a swab of my back passage and found I had an infection called blastocystis hominis in extremely high levels and treatment for this did appreciably help however after all that it was n't what the doctor had expected as this is an amoebic bug you get if your immune system is "clapped out" they were expecting to find a chronic dysentery, giardia etc etc. This was ten twe;ve years ago but I remember reading of people with bad joint and muscle pain and fatigue etc etc, no great digestive problems, being greatly helped if they were found to have one of these chronic gut infections. Also there were Vietnam vets who had been ill for years helped too. I think you can get one of these tests done by Great Smokies lab if you contact them they could tell you more, it may just be another element in the puzzle, whatever good luck and good health.

Also if you were in Africa you would have had various vaccinations before you went and Garth Nicolson says 6% of vaccinations are contaminated with mycoplasmas.

With love,

Genevieve