myofacial release

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cls, Nov 18, 2002.

1. cls

cls New Member

Hello, I'm new to this site and have been reading the message boards and seeing that other people are having the same kinds of symptoms as myself (painful lumps under the skin, pain in front and back of ribs, twitches, head treamors and the like.

Has anyone had myofacial release by a physical therapist for painful muscle constrictions and spasms? I did with good results. Suprisingly, there was a lot of work to be dome in my abdomen, possibly due to extensive surgery in the abdomen twenty five years ago.
  2. cls

cls New Member

Hello, I'm new to this site and have been reading the message boards and seeing that other people are having the same kinds of symptoms as myself (painful lumps under the skin, pain in front and back of ribs, twitches, head treamors and the like.

Has anyone had myofacial release by a physical therapist for painful muscle constrictions and spasms? I did with good results. Suprisingly, there was a lot of work to be dome in my abdomen, possibly due to extensive surgery in the abdomen twenty five years ago.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi CLS, welcome to the group. No, I did not have the treatment you described.

I take supplements, and use heat for that, right now it is in remission for about 6 months.

Glad you are getting relief, and again welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. PEACH

PEACH New Member

I read your message and have been having a lot of problems with lumps almost everywhere the ribs are very painful also at my wrist there is a large lump and at my hip's there are many of them, also I am having a terrible time with my upper chest with pain like a brick block is resting there all the time and also it throb's.One night I was awoken from my sleep and my jaw was rench forward and would not relax the only think I could think to do was to chew on something and that seemed to help but it is getting to be a more regular part of my day. I would love to hear more about the treatment of this if you could help me out that would be great.Sincerely Peach
  5. cls

cls New Member

peaches asked for more info re myofacial release.

The myofacia is a clear membrane that wraps itself around muscle fibers (Devin Starnyl says myofacial tissue is that clear stuff that you see when you prepare raw chicken). Anyway, the theory is that due to repeated stress, trauma, etc. the myofacia tightens and pain results. If you do an internet search on John Barnes RPT and myofacial release you may learn more.

Some physical therapists have training in myofacial release techniques, I happened to be lucky to get a PT that had training in this. The PT uses s gentle pressure,pulling technique on an area of the body that has tight muscles. You feel like it is not doing anything but it is.

I was seeing the PT because I had terrible butt pain (couldn't sit), hip pain, numbness down one leg as well as arm and head and neck symptoms.

Since having the myofacial release sessions, my leg only goes numb if i've done something to aggravate it, I can sit comfortably most of the time, and have much less hip pain. I'm still dealing with upper body and basic fibro stuff, but as long as I'm careful and take my meds I've been getting by.

I also see a chiropractor who has been very helpful.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/19/2002]
  6. contessa

contessa New Member

It was so gentle and so helpful. I actually had to ask the therapist if he was going anything or was this all just a placebo effect. My neurologist specified this type only and by the second week my migraines had gone. They stayed away during treatment (3 weeks) and I regained the ability to turn my back, neck and shoulders. Now we're working on lite physical exercise with 1# weights and the big ball. But I will definately go back to the myofascial release whenever I get all spasmed again. Guess it is hard to find here in Wisconsin. I got lucky even though the therapist hadn't had much call for it. Highly recommended by me!!
  7. themarce

themarce New Member

Hi, I have been having myofascial release from a certified pysiotherapist here in Ottawa, Canada that has been a life-saver. It's the most amazing treatment, almost like a massage but better.
    It's definately a modality to try!
  8. xo4damama

xo4damama Member

When my rheume suggested I do it with their PT I jumped at the chance. It was amazing. I could actually feel tight muscles relaxing. It was a strange feeling..kind like when you squeeze something in your hand for too long, then when you go to open your hand it is a bit "jerky" When I was done I could turn my head to the sides so far that I had forgotten it actually did that.

I would highly suggest it to anyone who has pain.
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I Love a "Soft Tissue Massage for my MPS, my body responds to the soft touch and not the Rough touching that some other people use, and it works for them.

When I lived in Idaho, my Best Friend was/is, a Massage Therphist, and I started seeing her before I was dx with the MPS/FMS, but she already had the idea that I probably had the Symdromes.
    I started going to her 2x a week for a month, and then just once a week. When I had to leave Idaho, I told her that I wanted her to go with me, lol.

I can tell the difference in my body without the Regular weekly Massage, as soon as I can afford it again, I plan on getting them weekly again.

I do have a Massagar, but it's not the same as the Touch of a Knowledgeable Theraphist. Sure Miss her, both as a Friend and a MT.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  10. PEACH

PEACH New Member

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS TO ALL WHO POSTED TO MY QUESTION ON THE MYOFASCIAL PAIN. I SEE ME DOCTOR THIS WEEK SO I AM GOING TO ASK HIM FOR THIS TREAMENT SOMETHING ANYTHING THAT IS WHERE I AM AT THESE DAYS. I PRAY THAT THEY WILL FIND SOMETHING REAL SOON SO US WITH THESE PROBLMES CAN START GETTING GOOD ANSQWERS INSTEAD OF THE USUAL SHRUGGED SHOULDERS. THIS PLACE IS GREAT.
    LOVE FROM THE CANADIAN PEACH
  11. starstella

starstella New Member

Good luck with your doctor's visit and asking for myofacial release therapy. It does make a difference. Also, it may need to be repeated periodically. I had to go back for a "tune-up" so to speak, when I started getting more stiffness.
    Starstella (name change from cls)
  12. baybe

baybe New Member

this is a subject that is so underrated in conjunction with fibro. I think the stat is 70% of fibromites also have mps. I have had extensive myofascial release, because I am lucky enough to live in an area where it is available. Up until recently there was only one school that taught this technique and it is truly a special technique. I know there are now 2 that specialize and the gal that I am lucky enough to have work on me, is also teaching this type of massage. It is definitely worth it, but is also a very specific technique and should be practiced by only those that are trained in it. So check carefully before starting, but if you find a practioner it can be lifesaving.
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

As part of my PT, I had a massage therapist use this technique on me~ I may have seemed a little sore the first few treatments,but it did'nt last long.All in all,-I would highly recommend it!! I wish I could get my insurance to pay for it more often~ I think they only Okay'd 4 weeks of it.(at 3 x week) Best of luck!
    regards,
    Tracey
  14. PEACH

PEACH New Member

HELLO STELLA: WELL I BET YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT...I REALLY HAVE TO START MAKING NOTES FOR WHEN I GO TO THE DOCTOR AS I ALWAYS HAVE O MANY THINGS TO TALK WITH THE DOCTOR ABOUT I FORGOT TO ASK HIM AGAIN ABOUT THE MYOFASCIAL INJECTIONS OR TREATMENT. THINK I WILL HAVE TO CALL HIM AND LEAVE HIM A MESSAGE. I REALLY HATE GOING TO THE DOCS ANYMORE LIEK GOING TO THE DENTIST TO HAVE A TOOTH PULLED OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. I AM TRYING A TENS UNIT RIGHT NOW AND IT SEEMS TO BE HELPING ME A BIT.
    I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I HAVE ANY LUCK WITH THE DOC AND THIS SUBJECT. I WILL HOWEVER TALK TO MY PT AND ASK HIM ABOUT HIM WRITING A RECOMMENDATION FOR THE MP TREATMENT.
    TAKE CARE
    PEACH
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Our bodies are encased in the facia which is like a body sweater. When one pulls a thread on a sweater, it knots up. He said our facia is like that and the massage gets the knots out.

Love, Mikie