Myofascial pain syndrome and a fibromyalgia type presentation??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Reidsbeads, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

I picked up a letter from the Drs office today I guess to send to the Lawyers for my disability and that is what she said my condition was. has anyone ever heard of this and what is it. She just told me i had fibro but now this? I never heard of Myofascial Pain syndrome? and a fibromyalgia type presentation. does this mean i dont have fibro or this other thing is actually the condition I have? I am so confused now. I guess I better find out what it is. If anyone can help it would mean the world to me cause I have been fogged over all day and kinda dizzy or light headed, but things still had to be done and it took up my whole day. My eldest son turned 23 today so after runnin my errands and working on laundry I made him a B-day cake and made tacos for dinner. I am so tired and in so much pain and now I am sooooooooo confused!! Please help if ya can. Tam
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]
  2. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

Hi,am new to these boards but I think i can answer your questionwith ease. Myofascial Pain Syndrome has to do with pain associated from an accumulation of trigger points in the muscles. Trigger points aresmall contraction knots in muscles (the knots or lumps you may feel deep in your muscles). These tigger points, when they set up shop in your muscles can cause severe pain if they are active, not latent trigger points. The amazing thing about them though, is that they can refer poin to other areas. Once you learn to find them and press or massage them you start to notice how they refer poin to other areas, sometimes remote areas. Do a google search on trigger points and myofascial pain and there is much to learn about it. Travell and Simons were the pioners in this field and wrote several medical texts titled Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction:The Trigger Point Manuals. A great and invaluable resource to buy would be 'The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook' by Clair Davies who took the work of Travell and Davies and wrote a text for the layman about this field. Trigger points can be deactivated by a skilled trigger point massage therapists. I have personally tried 2 different therapists, to no avail yet. I have also tried trigger point injections from my doctor, to no avail. Even tried a bit of self massage on my trigger points but can't get rid of them and they are very stubborn. Looking into factors now such as mineral deficiencies playing role etc and smoking. Given up smoking(been a week now YAY!)

Anyway, the connection is that most fibromyalgia sufferers are also plagued with trigger points (Myofascial Pain Syndrome). Much contraversy in research as to whether myofascial pin and fibro are on e in the same. But they are not the same they are two separate pathologies. I often go through stages of thinking that i don't suffer from firbo but only lots of very bad trigger points. Who knows? They are definitely connected though.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers
  3. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi reids bieds, there has been alot of talk past few days about this, great post by "charlenef" that i am bumping to the top for ya. really good info, good luck--L
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have both there are trigger point in your body with cmp this use to be mps the name has changed and is now cocidered a true disease and not a syndrome anymore im going to post some more info for you charlene
    you can also read my post on a guide for family[This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

What is Chronic Myofascial Pain?

Chronic myofascial pain is easier to diagnose than fibromyalgia, because the medical professional can readily see and feel the damage. The myofascia is the membrane that surrounds muscle fibers, every group of muscle fibers, and every muscle. The membranes come together to form tendons and ligaments. (You have seen this membrane yourself, if you have ever prepared to cook chicken and tried to remove the skin. The membrane adheres to the muscle underneath the skin.) In chronic myofascial pain these membranes harden and tighten. Small tears, or micro-lesions, form in the membranes. These tears scar over. The muscle won’t slide against the hardened, tightened, and injured membranes. The muscles are pulled into very strange and painful lumps that can be easily felt under the skin. Imaging scans of the muscles will show muscles that look “frayed.” While a person with fibromyalgia will benefit from mild aerobic exercise, the same exercise for a person with CMP may cause damage and feel terrible. Knees, hips, and shoulders give way, and Achilles tendons tighten painfully. When exercise is attempted, muscles might go immediately into a stage of tetanus, or tight, constant contraction, and then won’t relax. Lumps, and sometimes geloid masses, accumulate and must be massaged out. Massage is extremely painful, and trigger points can stimulate pain elsewhere.

6. Empower

Empower New Member

I am in the same boat - I was told for years that it was fibro, but I had a first visit with a pain clinic and doc told me it seemed more like Myofascial Pain

You say to ma to, I say to mat o
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

This really explains what I went thru a month ago. I thought I was going to die. I was in so much pain. The top part of my back hurt like no other pain I have ever experienced. The only thing that helped and now it makes sense was a muscle relaxer. No pain meds have helped at all. Most of my pain is in the top part of my back.

I'll tell you what, I am so thankful for all of the people on this board. We are each researchers who don't get paid.P
  8. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

Thank you all sooo very much!!! I have learned alot from Y'all and it seems I have alot more to learn. Thank you all for helping me get back into the game. Its just that it floored me when I read that letter, but I actually learned a couple things I was gonna ask about like what MPS
    and CMP stood for;} LOL.....Now I know! Thanks.....Tam
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]