Myofascial pain syndrome, How Do you treat it??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Oct 16, 2009.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I'm having pretty severe pain in my left breast area, under left arm and also left shoulder area under my shoulder blade. My morphine doesnt help at all, heat, massage... nothing. Everytime I move a certain way I get sharp pain running from under arm through my breast to sternum. Please any help appreciated. I would appreciate all prayers too! God Bless
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

When my MPS trigger spots get bad enough, I use something called a theracane on them and then put Icy Hot on them and take half of a flexeril. I can't take more than that of the flexeril or it really knocks me out, but when the knots get bad enough that is the only way I can really get them to relax.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2009]
  3. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Thanks for answering my post, yes I have a theracane and have used it until I have bruised myself trying to get them to release. I have some soma , would that help like the flexeril? I dont care if it knocks me out... any relief would be great at this point. This has been going on for many days and as you know is very painful and exhausting.I can take the pain of the extreme soreness, the tight muscles etc. but the sharp pains that seem to be going straight through your heart just increases my anxiety.I m sorry you have to go through this also.. Bless your heart.
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

A physical therapist who is well-trained in myofascial release therapy might be able to do more that you can do yourself.

My myfascial constrictions are not real severe. I put one of those refreezable ice packs on them after I have worked on them.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

it is a muscle relaxant so it should help in a way similar to that of flexeril....I haven't tried that one, so I can't say if it would help me, but I would say that it would definitely be worth a shot for you, esp sine you already have it

i hope that it helps
  6. TexasRuby

TexasRuby New Member

Nothing helped my muslce pain in chest ,neck and shoulder. But the flexeril did.
  7. onset1990

onset1990 Member

I get what's called costochondritis, inflammation. It doesn't affect my neck but my rib cage and other places that have cartilage can get inflamed to, other joints for example.

Mayo clinic at says:
    "Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions. "

When you said the pain over your heart scares you, it reminded me of myself. I know now that it is physiological not organic and I don't stress. I find that knowing it's just inflammation helps me deal with the pain too. I sometimes take an aspirin or tylenol but usually ignore it.

Other women here might recognize that when it flares up, I can't wear a bra, LOL. It's torture!

Just wanted to mention the condition. I also have myofascial pain too and often can't separate out what is causing which pain.

Edited to include: By the way. If I can't take a deep breath without agony, I know it's muscle or myofascial not cartilage pain. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2009]
  8. hensue

hensue New Member

You got my prayers that sounds bad, I think the ideas people are posting are good. I cannot imagine having that kind of pain.
    Are other people on the board on morphine? There are days I wished I could have some morphine